Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 06:33 PM

724 posts, read 560,198 times

Advertisements

I don't know how many animal lovers there are in this forum, but it was interesting to find which areas liked cats more than dogs:

Source: https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/St...ownership.aspx
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.349fe6cd0474

The US average is that there are 1.20 more dogs than cats.

Top 10 dog loving states

1) Arkansas (1.35x more dogs than cats)
2) New Mexico (1.32)
3) Texas (1.29)
4) Oklahoma (1.27)
5) Louisiana (1.27)
6) Mississippi (1.27)
7) Arizona (1.25)
8) Tennessee (1.23)
9) Missouri (1.20)
10) Georgia (1.15)

Top 10 cat loving states

1) Massachusetts (1.87x more cats than dogs)
2) Maryland (1.83)
3) Maine (1.66)
4) Vermont (1.65)
5) Connecticut (1.57)
6) DC (1.50)
7) New Hampshire (1.46)
8) Pennsylvania (1.43)
9) New York (1.40)
10) Ohio (1.39)

Cats seem to be more popular in the north and dogs more in the south and southwest. This actually makes sense because dogs require a lot of exercise and a lot of space, which is harder to do when you live in an area where winters are long. I actually kind of feel bad for dogs who are cooped up in an apartment all day.

I own both though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 04:25 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,757,073 times
Dogs don't care about the winter as much as people do. Mine was always more eager to go out in winter and made a beeline back to the door in summer.
The list looks more cultural than anything. All the cat states are in the northeastern part of the country. Without bickering about what is and isn't northeast, all those states are at least northeasterly when looked at by the rest of us.
I'm not sure exactly why there would be no states outside that area on the cat list, but I think culture would be the general explanation.
All the dog states are southern, where people are more self-conscience about not being some sort of manly-man. It's the same reason they buy pickup trucks, even though most rarely use that box thing in the back for anything more than what a car trunk could handle.
Without looking, I'm going to guess that the most popular breeds in the south are larger and at least have the impression of being tough.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:50 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Wasn't there a study that ON AVERAGE cat households tend to be more educated? This list looks to support that based on the states shown.

I highlight on average because I know someone will take that the wrong way. The cat states are also colder (indoor pets) and people are more likely to travel in those states (leaving cats alone is easier).

Old 02-20-2018, 08:27 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Wasn't there a study that ON AVERAGE cat households tend to be more educated? This list looks to support that based on the states shown.

I highlight on average because I know someone will take that the wrong way. The cat states are also colder (indoor pets) and people are more likely to travel in those states (leaving cats alone is easier).
Haha, yeah. Nothing dumber than owning two huge dogs in a small apartment which then requires you to stand in a lousy gravel-filled dog "park" at 6am in the middle of winter (or summer). Then having to pick up dog crap with your hands, yum!

To some extent, I had hoped that the extreme density of cities like Philly and NYC would have discouraged rampant dog ownership, but so many people still own dogs. Of course that's anecdotal, so maybe there's something to the OP's numbers.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:19 AM

724 posts, read 560,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

I think its more correlated with climate than anything else. I was thinking it was correlated with population density, but then states like Ohio and Vermont are cat states even though they're not all that dense. Maybe there's a cultural element to it as well, but by and large I think most areas only have slight preferences one way or another.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:30 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
I wonder if the fact that cats are so big in the Northeast has to do with there being more old stores and apartments, especially in the cities. Those places tend to have mice, and a lot of city dwellers (and small businesses like bodegas here in NYC) have cats just to keep out the mice. I suspect the same might be true in Philly, Baltimore, Boston, New Haven, DC, and other cities with older housing stock.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:00 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,259 times
Notice how dog states are cheaper and have more land opportunities? Dogs like to roam, cats stay inside. List makes sense to me

Old 02-21-2018, 03:06 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Notice how dog states are cheaper and have more land opportunities? Dogs like to roam, cats stay inside. List makes sense to me
Not necessarily. We keep ours indoors, but many allow their cats free roaming.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:27 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
I don't know how many animal lovers there are in this forum, but it was interesting to find which areas liked cats more than dogs:

Source: https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/St...ownership.aspx
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.349fe6cd0474

The US average is that there are 1.20 more dogs than cats.

Top 10 dog loving states

1) Arkansas (1.35x more dogs than cats)
2) New Mexico (1.32)
3) Texas (1.29)
4) Oklahoma (1.27)
5) Louisiana (1.27)
6) Mississippi (1.27)
7) Arizona (1.25)
8) Tennessee (1.23)
9) Missouri (1.20)
10) Georgia (1.15)

Top 10 cat loving states

1) Massachusetts (1.87x more cats than dogs)
2) Maryland (1.83)
3) Maine (1.66)
4) Vermont (1.65)
5) Connecticut (1.57)
6) DC (1.50)
7) New Hampshire (1.46)
8) Pennsylvania (1.43)
9) New York (1.40)
10) Ohio (1.39)

Cats seem to be more popular in the north and dogs more in the south and southwest. This actually makes sense because dogs require a lot of exercise and a lot of space, which is harder to do when you live in an area where winters are long. I actually kind of feel bad for dogs who are cooped up in an apartment all day.

I own both though.
I think that quite a lot of the dogs appearing in Southern states are working hunting dogs. I know here in Missouri a lot of people participate in "coon hunts" which consist of letting a bunch of hound dogs loose in the country while sitting around a campfire drinking beer. The ensuing pandemonium of dogs making the most ungodly noise (you would think they were being tortured), often results in statements like... "Sounds like Old Bo' has one treed". etc. These dogs rarely see the inside of a house and are usually kept outside in a huntin' dog pen. It is really hard to consider them pets. I think if you remove that demographic from the statistics it would definitely alter the results.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:54 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I think that quite a lot of the dogs appearing in Southern states are working hunting dogs. I know here in Missouri a lot of people participate in "coon hunts" which consist of letting a bunch of hound dogs loose in the country while sitting around a campfire drinking beer. The ensuing pandemonium of dogs making the most ungodly noise (you would think they were being tortured), often results in statements like... "Sounds like Old Bo' has one treed". etc. These dogs rarely see the inside of a house and are usually kept outside in a huntin' dog pen. It is really hard to consider them pets. I think if you remove that demographic from the statistics it would definitely alter the results.
Is this in 1860 or 2018? That is rather disturbing in a funny way if people still do that in 2018.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City