Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 02:17 PM

3 posts, read 3,084 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I am young black man with a family of 7, I am an IT professional and am looking to move to the safest area possible to raise young kids. My oldest is 11 and youngest is 4.

I am coming from Fort Wayne, IN. Fort Wayne is nice depending on where you live. Fort wayne is weird... most of the south side of town is the hood, lots of shootings... but then if you go too far north, you run into the occasional racist... I mean its Indiana after all and its very conservative. To be fair though, I've been fine here, rarely had racist incedents... police are friendly etc...

I am wanting to avoid that altogether and just live in a chill place with shopping and food kid activities, all in a suburb type area. Great Schooling and diverse affluent area would be ideal.

Any thoughts? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 06:01 AM

171 posts, read 158,961 times
Hi and welcome to triad i would say if you enjoy commuting in to get to do stuff anything out side that circle will work. But for me i live downtown Greensboro i love the walkability all the cool stuff like boxcar and my wife loves catcafe. I work in IT as well so but if in the city i would say battleground to west market roughly. I can ping you on the side with more details let me know !
Attached Thumbnails
Best Suburbish area to live in Greensborough?-screenshot_20180820-075707_maps.jpg  

Old 08-20-2018, 06:45 AM

102 posts, read 121,681 times
Have you thought of looking in Winston Salem? They have alot of IT jobs in the innovation quarter esp with Inmar.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:06 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,381,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catamountalum2004 View Post
Have you thought of looking in Winston Salem? They have alot of IT jobs in the innovation quarter esp with Inmar.
Assuming the OP is relocating to Greensboro for a job already, there’s no need to live in Winston.

You’ll generally find what you’re looking for on the NW side of town. A lot of people like Oak Ridge and Summerfield, but I don’t think you need to go that far out.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:22 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
Like most cities in North Carolina, Greensboro is pretty suburban. Shouldn't be hard to find a place in the suburbs. It's a pretty diverse city with a sizeable African American community. It's home to two HCBUs, NC A&T (go Aggies) and Bennett College (women only) as well as UNC-G (large state university), Guilford College (small liberal arts college), and Greensboro College (even smaller).

According to City-Data, Greensboro has a black population of about 38% to Fort Wayne's 15%. That's not to say that there's no racism in Greensboro. I think if you look hard enough you can find racism everywhere, but it's a pretty welcoming city.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:33 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,424,241 times
I live in Greensboro. I don't think you need to be outside the city to feel like you're in the burbs. I live in the NW part, which is where I grew up.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions, or need the name of a good local agent.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:40 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,080,307 times
Definitely recommend the NW part of Greensboro as well. Check out neighborhoods near New Garden Rd (27410).

As for the race thing, we're a mixed couple (I'm black, she's white) and we moved here last October - negligible issues in this department. We get the occasional/rare "look" (from both white AND black people), but that's all over the south, and we just laugh about it afterwards . We however don't have any life-hindering issues with race. People have been very nice here, and we've had no problems making friends.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:38 AM

193 posts, read 158,590 times
well there is definitely more black population so that may make you feel more comfortable . i would try to stay away from college areas , traffic , youngsters being dumb , crime etc

Old 08-23-2018, 05:27 PM

3 posts, read 3,084 times
Wow you all sound so welcoming, I dig that. The plan is to relocate there and around college time send the kids to NC A&T I've spoken with them and they are one of the best Tech schools in the country, one of the few if only that still have dedicate IBM mainframe training. I myself am a sysadmin - analyst and love tech. All of you have given wonderful advice, We actually looked at winston area initially but was uncertain of the culture there. Also considering Apex, my wife has a brother in that area and he swears by it.

Im def gonna put more thought and research into it.

Old 08-23-2018, 05:30 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,424,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkinnie View Post
Wow you all sound so welcoming, I dig that. The plan is to relocate there and around college time send the kids to NC A&T I've spoken with them and they are one of the best Tech schools in the country, one of the few if only that still have dedicate IBM mainframe training. I myself am a sysadmin - analyst and love tech. All of you have given wonderful advice, We actually looked at winston area initially but was uncertain of the culture there. Also considering Apex, my wife has a brother in that area and he swears by it.

Im def gonna put more thought and research into it.
NCAT is great. I was an adjunct professor there for 3 years. I went Howard so I never knew who to pull for at homecoming, lol!

Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point