Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should I live?
Greensboro 3 30.00%
Winston-Salem 5 50.00%
High Point 1 10.00%
Elsewhere 1 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 01:50 PM

7 posts, read 6,828 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I currently live in Michigan (pop. 20,000ish). I'm looking to move to Greensboro, Winston-Salem, or High Point. NC

A little info: We are in our early 30s, but we feel like an old boring couple.
We have a toddler.
I'm disabled and don't drive.
He does drive.

I have a few things to consider:

--Rent cost more in ''The Triad" because they're bigger cities, of course, but where can I get a lower rent? I can afford about $700 (with a dog and sugar gliders) a month. Online Winston-Salem looks a little cheaper but also seems to have smaller sq ft?
--Public transportation is EXTREAMLY important. I will probably ride the disabled buses.
--I've never had a job, and I need something where I can sit down like a call center or something entry-level. Where would I be more likely to find something like that?
--Schools and family friendly activities are also something to consider. (it will be great not to have to travel 30 minutes to shop at local, cute and fun stores.)
--is food cheaper in one of these areas? (Eggs local are 1.50/dz. 30 mins. South eggs are 0.85/dz. and a half)
Not trying to pry but will full coverage car insurance be under $90/mo.? (I pay $180/mo!!!)
--MI min. Wage is $9...something, I think.
NC is $7.25? The bf makes $12.75. Will that be hard to achieve?
--What kind of entry-level Jobs are common? My bf does production and drives forklift.

I'm trying to cover everything....
Is there anything I'm missing? Anything you recommend?
I Will try to visit January (escaping the bone chilling cold will be a bonus!)
I plan to move before school starts, July at the latest.
Besides the small exploration, I'm almost doing a blind move.
Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 09:29 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,067,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintystuff View Post
Hi everyone. I currently live in Michigan (pop. 20,000ish). I'm looking to move to Greensboro, Winston-Salem, or High Point. NC

A little info: We are in our early 30s, but we feel like an old boring couple.
We have a toddler.
I'm disabled and don't drive.
He does drive.

I have a few things to consider:

--Rent cost more in ''The Triad" because they're bigger cities, of course, but where can I get a lower rent? I can afford about $700 (with a dog and sugar gliders) a month. Online Winston-Salem looks a little cheaper but also seems to have smaller sq ft?
--Public transportation is EXTREAMLY important. I will probably ride the disabled buses.
--I've never had a job, and I need something where I can sit down like a call center or something entry-level. Where would I be more likely to find something like that?
--Schools and family friendly activities are also something to consider. (it will be great not to have to travel 30 minutes to shop at local, cute and fun stores.)
--is food cheaper in one of these areas? (Eggs local are 1.50/dz. 30 mins. South eggs are 0.85/dz. and a half)
Not trying to pry but will full coverage car insurance be under $90/mo.? (I pay $180/mo!!!)
--MI min. Wage is $9...something, I think.
NC is $7.25? The bf makes $12.75. Will that be hard to achieve?
--What kind of entry-level Jobs are common? My bf does production and drives forklift.

I'm trying to cover everything....
Is there anything I'm missing? Anything you recommend?
I Will try to visit January (escaping the bone chilling cold will be a bonus!)
I plan to move before school starts, July at the latest.
Thanks guys!
Rent isn't really that bad in the Triad... but my comparison points are Washington DC and Hampton Roads, VA... two relatively expensive areas. When we first moved here, we got a pretty nice 2 bed 2 bath apartment for $850. You could probably get something pretty decent for $700.

As for call centers, there are call centers galore around here. They are generally scattered all over the Triad. As for minimum wage around here, it is $7.25, but you shouldn't have a big problem finding something considerably higher. In a call center, you should be able to land about $10-11 or so bare minimum... and if you get into the right call center, you might be able to start around $15-16. I'm not sure what your bf will get driving a forklift, but I would imagine it would be no less than the $12.75 he makes now.

As for full coverage car insurance, it's hard to say. I pay about $90 for myself and my wife so I would imagine it is doable, depending on your driving records and types of cars you own.

Food... I've generally found isn't too pricy around here. But I'm not sure how it compares nationally.

I don't know much about public transportation either... I understand that things aren't exactly great around here for that though.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:33 PM

Thanks! You really helped out! Im sure transit will be better, ours runs from 7a-5:30p, that's which time to do your shopping.
I'm really excited to move. I feel like I can finally start getting out there and doing stuff! Thanks again!

Old 09-13-2018, 04:56 AM

34,140 posts, read 83,155,982 times
Quote:
I'm looking to move to Greensboro, Winston-Salem, or High Point. NC
Why?

Quote:
Don't do that.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:44 AM

Weather, car insurance, and i
Bigger cities with a longer running bus system.
I take it you Don't like the area?

Old 09-13-2018, 11:20 AM

34,140 posts, read 83,155,982 times
Quote:
The question was about why W-S vs the 10,000 or so other choices available.
Good luck to you either way.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:02 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,067,318 times
Quote:
Weather, car insurance, and i
I take it you Don't like the area?
Honestly, if you like the general geographic area, I'd suggest Raleigh or Charlotte if you're looking for bigger cities. Greensboro and Winston-Salem may seem like bigger cities compared to where you are, but Raleigh and Charlotte are much bigger and have much more in the way of public transportation options... Rent may not be as inexpensive (Raleigh has been a bit pricey for a while.. but Charlotte seems to have gotten considerably more expensive over the last 3-5 years).

Is there anything else attracting you specifically to the Triad?

Old 09-13-2018, 07:27 PM

Just the affordable rent. Its around the same price to where I am now. I have been looking ascetic the country for a long while!

Old 09-14-2018, 05:16 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,404,966 times
$700 is a very low rent amount for the Triad. And its almost impossible to rely on public buses for your sole transportation needs.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:01 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,037,373 times
If you have to be in one of the 3 major metros in NC, the Triad is the cheapest but I'm not sure there will even be many options for $700 a month outside of bad neighborhoods. Unless you guys can make it with a 1 bedroom. My sister use to live in Abernathy Park in Greensboro in a 1 bedroom but I think it was around $750. You should have no problem finding appropriate paying jobs though. Public transportation will get you around but is much more of an after thought in the Triad. I would check bus routes ahead of time to make sure something's available in whatever area you decide to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point