Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 08:42 AM

37 posts, read 48,120 times

Advertisements

Two breweries have opened up in Greensboro recently:

SouthEnd Brewing Company (Southendbrewing)
Oden Brewing Company (https://odenbrewing.com/)

Haven't been to either one yet but both welcome additions to the beer scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 12:26 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
So... After doing some digging, it seems that both Radar and SouthEnd are a bit stalled. Radar has not posted on Facebook in about two months after being fairly active for a few months. South End hasn't posted since mid-June despite looking well on the way to opening. Wonder what's going on here.
Radar is hiring bartenders.

Old 11-24-2019, 09:48 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,056,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
Radar is hiring bartenders.
I saw that earlier today, so it does look like they finally got some forward momentum. They had been silent for a good 4-6 months. My guess is that we're probably looking at them opening after the holidays and at the beginning of the new year.

As for SouthEnd, they went quiet for a couple months but became active again not long after my post saying they had gone a bit quiet. They opened last month. I've heard that their beers are... OK, but nothing to write home about. But their outdoor space is pretty cool.

Oden was on the docket when I moved to the Triad about three years ago, but until a couple months ago had gone silent and I assumed that they had simply fizzled out. Then suddenly they were active again and they finally opened a week or two ago. Of all the new breweries, they're the ones I'm most excited to try. It seems that they have a really cool spot.

In tougher news, I'm hearing that Gibbs Hundred may be close to closing. From what I heard (which admittedly I'm not 100% sure is true), the move from their prior spot (where South End is now) killed them. They moved to increase distribution capacity, but frankly haven't gotten the distribution to warrant the move. On top of that, their walk-in traffic is supposedly far down. I do hate to lose a brewery, though I will admit that Gibbs Hundred was probably my least favorite of the Triad breweries (with Hoots being the only other brewery in contention).

Old 12-10-2019, 12:06 PM

6,119 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Though it's not in a corner of the Triad that gets as much attention as Greensboro and Winston-Salem on this forum, Four Saints is one that has opened up in downtown Asheboro:

https://www.foursaintsbrewing.com/

I'm not big on craft beers but I know people who are who have had good things to say about this place.

Also, here is a map showing craft breweries in the state:
https://www.ncbeer.org/nc_craft_brewery_map.php

Old 12-10-2019, 02:02 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,082,096 times
Quote:
In tougher news, I'm hearing that Gibbs Hundred may be close to closing. From what I heard (which admittedly I'm not 100% sure is true), the move from their prior spot (where South End is now) killed them. They moved to increase distribution capacity, but frankly haven't gotten the distribution to warrant the move. On top of that, their walk-in traffic is supposedly far down. I do hate to lose a brewery, though I will admit that Gibbs Hundred was probably my least favorite of the Triad breweries (with Hoots being the only other brewery in contention).
They really needed to step up their brewing game when they moved to the new, less-convenient location, but they didn't. I enjoy their beers but not enough for me to go out of my way, beyond some events they have every now and then. And the ones sold in cans are just...okay. The exception is that I love the Baltic Porter they have every year, but I don't think they ever put it in cans.

Old 01-11-2020, 10:16 PM

So over the last couple weeks, I've tried Oden and South End Brewery. Oden seems like a pretty cool spot and it looked like a good beer selection. The one beer (porter) I had was pretty solid and there were others I wanted to try. South End had a really neat outdoor setup (and a keg drop for New Years). I like the idea that they'll also serve some food there as well. As for the beer, I got to try their stout (usually one of my favorites)…. it was OK but nothing to write home about. The selection wasn't really exciting either. I'll go back to both, but I'm really look forward to the return to Oden.

Also, Radar opened on New Years Day. Apparently the idea is that a restaurant is going to go next door and I assume the setup will be somewhat similar to that of Incendiary/Cugino Forno.

As for Gibbs Hundred's apparent upcoming demise... well they're not quite dead yet. They're still active on Facebook. Not sure how busy they actually are but they're still in existence.

Finally, it looks like High Point is next to get another new brewery in the Triad with Paddled South Brewery. They'll be on North Main St about a block or two from the Rockers stadium. Sounds like parking, taking in a beer at Paddled South, then headed to the ballpark is in the cards at least once this season. Apparently, the plan is to open in the spring. As a High Point resident myself, this is also a bit exciting because it gives another option closer to home. Sometimes I don't always want to go to Greensboro or Winston-Salem, but the options in High Point are basically Brown Truck and Goofy Foot (and Goofy Foot doesn't have any TVs). I guess there's Liberty too.... but meh, to me they're more of a restaurant that serves their own beer. Anyway, here's Paddled South's website for now. It's mostly under construction.

https://www.paddledsouthbrewingco.com/

Note: I really hope their Kickstarter campaign isn't indicative of their likelihood of getting off the ground. Their goal is to raise $50,000. They've raised twenty-six bucks. But the perks that they offer really don't give an incentive to give. The best perks for these kinds of ventures are those that come with experiences, but you have to give $500 before you get there. Invitations to sampling events or tours (experiences that cost the brewery very little to produce) should really be starting at the $50 level or so.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:04 PM

Well, I had said earlier that it looked like Greensboro would be losing a brewery and it appears that I was right.... I just had the wrong brewery. Preyer has announced on their Facebook page that they will be closing as of February 22. Interestingly, they were right next door to Crafted Art of the Street Food which ALSO just closed recently (month or two ago).

Crafted's spot has a new tenant moving in (Machete, who announced on Tuesday they would have a soft opening "soon"). I wonder what will become of Preyer's spot.

Also, I'm still not particularly optimistic about Gibbs Hundred, though I don't have any new information either way.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:27 PM

Another "brewery" going under.. this time Liberty in High Point.

I can't say I'm real sad to see them go though. They sold very generic beer and the food, while not bad, was nothing special. This was a very 90s/00s concept that just never really seemed to evolve with the times. My understanding is that the whole concept (Liberty Brewery and Steakhouse) is going away... not just the HP location.

Old 09-08-2020, 05:38 PM

37 posts, read 48,120 times
Quote:
You called it on Gibbs Hundred. I also hate to lose a brewery but I was never a big fan as well.

https://greensboro.com/entertainment...290cf84fa.html

Old 09-09-2020, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlynFoma View Post
You called it on Gibbs Hundred. I also hate to lose a brewery but I was never a big fan as well.

https://greensboro.com/entertainment...290cf84fa.html
Yep. Unfortunately they will soon be no longer. I wasn't a huge fan, but I hate to see a place like that fail.

In positive news, Paddled South (High Point) had been a bit dormant of late and I was starting to be concerned that they may not come to fruition. But they announced a week or two ago that they are full speed ahead and the construction will begin in next two weeks (so that should mean within the next week or so now). They're now shooting for a January or February opening. No guarantees or anything, but it's better than having no news at all. One thing I do know is that they plan on always having a stout on draught.

A few months ago, it was looking like High Point was going to get yet ANOTHER brewery added to the lineup in High Pint Brewery and Taphouse. I haven't heard or seen anything on them in about 5-6 months though so I guess we'll see.

As for the newer breweries, I added Radar to my list about 2-3 months ago. Pretty cool place with some good brew options. Definitely a candidate for future stops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point