Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 06:01 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,387,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HueysBack View Post
As another outsider (orig from the west coast) that is planning a trip that way, what is the culture shock?
Are you asking in regard to visiting the area, or in regard to moving permanently? Have you ever spent any time in NC or an neighboring state before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 04:11 AM

121 posts, read 158,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueysBack View Post
As another outsider (orig from the west coast) that is planning a trip that way, what is the culture shock?
As someone who moved here from the Seattle area, it can be pretty significant at first. However, when you start looking deeper, you'll find that it's not as significant as you first thought - especially if you are moving to one of the major metros. The real culture shock is when you start venturing outwards, into the more rural areas. That's often true in Oregon and Washington, as well, though. The biggest culture shock for me was that so many stores were closed on Sundays and that there were so many openly religious establishments (restaurants, ice cream stores, etc).

Old 03-18-2019, 08:18 AM

475 posts, read 685,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL77 View Post
The biggest culture shock for me was that so many stores were closed on Sundays and that there were so many openly religious establishments (restaurants, ice cream stores, etc).

I was born, raised, and college-educated in Greensboro. I've been in Atlanta for many years, and have been all over the world (14 countries). My immediate family is still in Greensboro.

How are the establishments there "openly religious"? I'm just wondering what I'm not registering as my perception may be tainted. I haven't experienced anything that connects with that statement.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:10 AM

511 posts, read 511,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
I was born, raised, and college-educated in Greensboro. I've been in Atlanta for many years, and have been all over the world (14 countries). My immediate family is still in Greensboro.

How are the establishments there "openly religious"? I'm just wondering what I'm not registering as my perception may be tainted. I haven't experienced anything that connects with that statement.
I see jesus fish incorporated into logos often.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:

The aforementioned Jesus fish are fairly prominent in logos and within the establishments, along with the observance of Sunday closures on its own. Chik-fil-a and Hobby Lobby aside, others are more blatant - Cookout has scripture on their cups, Sweet Frog is openly religious/sells religious t-shirts, Carter's BBQ has frequent religious signage. Those are just a few examples. I've lived in Va, Wa, and Fl and have never seen so many businesses acknowledge a religion. Most keep their business separate from their personal beliefs. I barely notice it now, but it was somewhat glaring when I first moved here.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:50 PM

475 posts, read 685,444 times
Quote:
The aforementioned Jesus fish are fairly prominent in logos and within the establishments, along with the observance of Sunday closures on its own. Chik-fil-a and Hobby Lobby aside, others are more blatant - Cookout has scripture on their cups, Sweet Frog is openly religious/sells religious t-shirts, Carter's BBQ has frequent religious signage. Those are just a few examples. I've lived in Va, Wa, and Fl and have never seen so many businesses acknowledge a religion. Most keep their business separate from their personal beliefs. I barely notice it now, but it was somewhat glaring when I first moved here.

Very interesting. Never noticed the fish, but I'm sure I will be more perceptive of it when I'm there now. Definitely have never read a scripture on a Cookout cup.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Definitely have never read a scripture on a Cookout cup.
If you look at the bottom red stripe of the cup, it will have a reference to scripture right next to it. I believe it's a variety of messages but I never look them up, so I can't be sure.

edit: yep, they vary. Found this image from yelp.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:28 PM

Sweet Frog, Chick-fil-a and Hobby Lobby are chains headquartered elsewhere, so there's nothing specific to the Triad about those.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Sweet Frog, Chick-fil-a and Hobby Lobby are chains headquartered elsewhere, so there's nothing specific to the Triad about those.
While that's true, none of those chains were in WA at the time that I moved here. Even Chik-fil-A wasn't common when I lived in Va (though I knew they were based in Christian principles).
I had never heard of or seen the other two until I moved here. So, yes, it was quite different from your normal hobby shop or frozen yogurt place in the PacNW. Regardless, I was talking specifically about the sheer number of openly religious businesses here, not including large chains. Relative to the PacNW, my experience was that there are significantly and noticeably more in this area.

Last edited by KL77; 03-18-2019 at 03:46 PM..

Old 03-18-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
While that's true, none of those chains were in WA at the time that I moved here. Even Chik-fil-A wasn't common when I lived in Va (though I knew they were based in Christian principles).
I had never heard of or seen the other two until I moved here. So, yes, it was quite different from your normal hobby shop or frozen yogurt place in the PacNW. Regardless, I was talking specifically about the sheer number of openly religious businesses here, not including large chains. Relative to the PacNW, my experience was that there are significantly and noticeably more in this area.
There are at least 122 Chick-fil-a's in Virginia, so its a very common chain there. Regardless, this thread is specifically focused on the Triad. And having lived and visited throughout the south, its very common on the region. I just think that point is important to make to the poster who asked about cultural differences, i.e, that difference will be noticeable throughout the region, not just the Triad. And frankly, there are many areas where its far more noticeable than the Triad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point