Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 04:08 PM

121 posts, read 158,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
There are at least 122 Chick-fil-a's in Virginia, so its a very common chain there. Regardless, this thread is specifically focused on the Triad. And having lived and visited throughout the south, its very common on the region. I just think that point is important to make to the poster who asked about cultural differences, i.e, that difference will be noticeable throughout the region, not just the Triad. And frankly, there are many areas where its far more noticeable than the Triad.
It is common now in Va, yes. Again, it was not when I lived there 15 years ago. We had only one that I can recall. Now there are dozens in the area. For the record, the Triad also has significantly more openly religious stores than the area of Va I came from.

That said, it is a large difference, even outside of chains, from where the original poster is coming from. They will likely notice. As I did. And as did a few other people I know who moved here from the region. Let's not nitpick about what was clearly MY experience from nearly a decade ago, as someone who actually came from the same region the OP is from, to the area OP is considering. They didn't ask about the area relative to others nearby. They asked about differences relative to where they are now.

There really is no need to continue this line of argument, in any case. I sincerely doubt that a psalm on a BBQ joint sign is going to be a moving dealbreaker. But they'll notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 04:22 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,387,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL77 View Post
It is common now in Va, yes. Again, it was not when I lived there 15 years ago. We had only one that I can recall. Now there are dozens in the area. For the record, the Triad also has significantly more openly religious stores than the area of Va I came from.

That said, it is a large difference, even outside of chains, from where the original poster is coming from. They will likely notice. As I did. And as did a few other people I know who moved here from the region. Let's not nitpick about what was clearly MY experience from nearly a decade ago, as someone who actually came from the same region the OP is from, to the area OP is considering. They didn't ask about the area relative to others nearby. They asked about differences relative to where they are now.

There really is no need to continue this line of argument, in any case. I sincerely doubt that a psalm on a BBQ joint sign is going to be a moving dealbreaker. But they'll notice.
Well, the poster isn't asking about 15 years ago, they're asking about now.

And I get that the Triad may seem different than the PNW. My point, which I made several times, is that so would virtually any other area of the south. I think thats an important point to note for the other poster. YMMV

Old 03-19-2019, 12:03 AM

676 posts, read 722,227 times
To me that’s a very positive point. Another check mark for me moving to the triad. Thanks for pointing that out. If someone didn’t consider that a good thing then they would know to look elsewhere.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:04 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,387,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL77 View Post

Oh yeah, that west coast icon, In 'n Out Burger, has bible versus on their cups too. Definitely not juts a southern/NC/Triad thing.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:41 AM

511 posts, read 511,443 times
The Cook-Out cups are extra funny because they'll say something like "God Bless America -John 3:16." Even though it's meant to be read as separate statements, it doesn't look that way.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:57 AM

34,093 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
My point, which I made several times, is that so would virtually any other area of the south.
Netflix is showing "Junebug" currently. Saw it for the first time this past weekend
and will recommend it for (some of) the subtext of what is being talked about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIoGtTgPbnI

And for some more fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB3ZeUwolG8

Old 04-16-2019, 10:52 PM

6 posts, read 2,827 times
Hi! Born in High Point, grew up in Jamestown. 1950s. Heaven on earth for a tomboy. Pretty much next to the City Lake dam. Used to crawl around the gate on the dam walkway, over the concrete spillway side to get to the park with my friend (and it’s a dam big dam!) It’s still beautiful and some of it’s still not pretentious, either. Check out realtor.com. I’m living on the Oregon coast, lived and went to school in Portland. I think you’d like it. Sure wish I were a little kid raking up piles of leaves to burn in the driveway. And, in those days, we had great snowstorms. And lightning bugs!

Old 04-20-2019, 09:39 AM

75 posts, read 121,589 times
Cody89

I would agree with what most people have said on here. I'm originally from a small town of 80k here in NC, so I cannot speak too much on the culture shock... except that Greensboro is very diverse culturally, and I come from a small town that was mostly quiet white country folk, rednecks, a few Hispanics, and very few African Americans. I have now lived here for almost 20 years, and yes.. lots of retail jobs here. Renting $800-1000 is very doable in a moderately safe area.... or maybe you can score renting a condo from a private owner and you might find a safer neighborhood for roughly the same price. =) I currently live on the Southwest portion of Greensboro and it's likely you'll find a place to rent here that is safe.

Bugs.. yes, lots of bugs. AND if you didn't already know about the humidity, it can get bad in the summer. We do have beautiful breezy days that make outdoorsy activities nice to enjoy...... but if you don't have allergies, be prepared... almost everyone here (even the locals) develop allergies. There's pollen, ragweed, etc, etc.. so Spring is the worst time of year. It's likely you'll invest in OTC allergy meds at minimum. Bug spray is needed most around Lake/river areas if mosquitoes like you. There are a couple of dog parks... the one in Country Park is ridiculously crowded, especially on weekends.. but check out Southwest Park for a better one.

It's likely you both will find friends here your age who already married/engaged. It's very family oriented around here.. but you will also see your groups of college kids here too... as there are many colleges in this area alone. UNC-G, Guilford College, High Point University... And we haven't even touched on Wake Forest in the Winston-Salem area.. or colleges in the Raleigh/Durham area (Duke, Chapel Hill, NC State). ..... Yep, get prepared for college basketball convos during March madnesss! lol.. Fun stuff.

Shopping is EVERYWHERE. I try to stay away from the Four Seasons Mall, just because it seems to have gotten more dangerous in the past 5 years... but Friendly Shopping Center is nice -- it's an outdoor mall. The Hanes Mall in Winston isn't bad either.. only a 30 min drive, but it's likely you'll find what you need here in Greensboro. There is the Tanger Outlet that is about 30 min away (heading towards Raleigh) and most people really enjoy going there for big discounts.

I cannot speak on what housing costs are.. but if you two end of having kids, definitely research the area first. I think the Northeastern section is more expensive? I was very happy with my sons education at Florence Elementary (near Northern High Point that someone mentioned earlier). Southwest middle and high school, I believe are still good schools too.

I hope that covers it. Enjoy your trip down here this summer, and BE PREPARED for the humidity and bugs. We get occasional thunderstorms in the summer too. ... And yes, we also get hurricanes a couple times out of the year. Good luck in your research!!

Old 05-16-2019, 01:32 PM

17 posts, read 15,582 times
You _might_ like Greensboro, just don't make any quick decisions until after you make that summer visit here. I grew up in Raleigh, lived in Portland for 7 years, and moved back here in 2004 (although was in a more rural area of NC before getting a house here in Greensboro). Having a lot of colleges in town makes things more interesting. You can find an affordable house in a good neighborhood under 200k if you look hard. I was able to buy a fixer-upper close to downtown in the Grimsley school district for just under $150,000. We're putting a roof on this summer but even with that and other improvements we're still way under 200K. If you live close to downtown you can use the bus, but Public Transportation is nothing like Portland. But, the traffic isn't either ... Economy is pretty good, so if you have an education and some skills you should be able to get a job before too long. You can get to the mountains in about 2.5 hours, to the beach via I-40 and Wilmington in 3.5 hours, and you can take Amtrak to Raleigh or Charlotte for the day if you don't want to drive. Keep us up to date on your relocation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point