Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 10:08 PM

118 posts, read 78,611 times

Advertisements

I didn't initially think of Honda being "advanced manufacturing" but perhaps it might be. It's an excellent company with a promising future. As "Patchy the Pirate" (Eddie Teach) points out above, the definition of advanced manufacturing is not exact, and encompasses a variety of industries. Some of the ones that he mentioned are not advanced manufacturing, yet others are.

I forgot about Qorvo, and they would definitely be considered as "advanced manufacturing". Very good company. Honda Jet is excellent.

Regarding the NC Aerospace Industry, the Kinston area is also doing quite well with the Global Trans Park. However, the State of NC has spent gobs of money on that project so I would hope that it's doing well. They also produce jet aircraft there. Durham also has GE Aircraft Engines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 03:56 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,644,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjack View Post
I didn't initially think of Honda being "advanced manufacturing" but perhaps it might be. It's an excellent company with a promising future. As "Patchy the Pirate" (Eddie Teach) points out above, the definition of advanced manufacturing is not exact, and encompasses a variety of industries. Some of the ones that he mentioned are not advanced manufacturing, yet others are.

I forgot about Qorvo, and they would definitely be considered as "advanced manufacturing". Very good company. Honda Jet is excellent.
Lets lay off the juvenile name calling.

I mentioned 3 companies...one you acknowledge (as if you actually know) as being advanced manufacturing, and one you say "may be" (it IS, btw). Which are the "ones" that aren't? And what about "them" disqualifies "them" from being advanced manufacturing?

Quote:
Regarding the NC Aerospace Industry, the Kinston area is also doing quite well with the Global Trans Park. However, the State of NC has spent gobs of money on that project so I would hope that it's doing well. They also produce jet aircraft there. Durham also has GE Aircraft Engines.
Many others too:

"North Carolina’s aerospace manufacturing sector grew by 76 percent from 2007-2016 on the strength
of companies like Boeing, Cessna, GE Aviation, Honda Aircraft, Lockheed Martin and Spirit Aerospace
Systems that call the state their home.
The state’s 180 aerospace manufacturing companies employ more than 9,500 people.
These companies focus primarily on:
• Aircraft, engines and engine parts;
• Search, detection and navigation instruments; and
• Manufacturing and supplying goods for the aviation industry, from tires and tray tables to carbon
and graphite products."

https://www.ncdot.gov/divisions/avia...f-aviation.pdf

Old 08-02-2019, 10:50 PM

Eddie, by your argument, Kinston, NC has as much advanced manufacturing as Greensboro, NC does.

It's still a stretch to consider aircraft manufacturing "advanced manufacturing", but if it makes you happy, so be it. Basically, they are busses that fly. Aircraft has been manufactured for decades. Nothing new here. Space X will eventually make this current industry obsolete.

Artificial intelligence, biotechnology, quantum computing, 3-D printing etc. would be generally recognized as "advanced manufacturing" by most learned folks.

Another example:

Six months ago, Ryan Kelly came to Raleigh to speak to a group of transportation planners about what his company calls a hyperloop, which would whisk pods full of people or cargo through tubes at speeds of up to 670 mph.
Kelly was back in the Triangle on Friday, before a ballroom full of the region’s business and transportation leaders, to explain how the technology works and how it might change the way people get around in the future. Kelly, the marketing director for Virgin Hyperloop One in California, brought along the company’s senior civil engineer, Ismaeel Babur, to answer any technical questions.

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...#storylink=cpy

Old 08-03-2019, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Eddie, by your argument, Kinston, NC has as much advanced manufacturing as Greensboro, NC does.

It's still a stretch to consider aircraft manufacturing "advanced manufacturing", but if it makes you happy, so be it. Basically, they are busses that fly. Aircraft has been manufactured for decades. Nothing new here. Space X will eventually make this current industry obsolete.

Artificial intelligence, biotechnology, quantum computing, 3-D printing etc. would be generally recognized as "advanced manufacturing" by most learned folks.
I'll ask again, which "companies" that I mentioned aren't involved in advanced manufacturing? Oh wait, never mind, you're not familiar with the term advanced manufacturing so you wouldn't be in any position to answer that question.

No idea what you mean by: "...by your argument, Kinston, NC has as much advanced manufacturing as Greensboro, NC does." I never said any such thing, never mentioned Kinston and never compared Kinston to G'boro. I did post a link to information provided by the state regarding the aerospace industry in NC (not advanced manufacturing)...if you disagree with what it says, your disagreement is with the state, not me. That was purely in response to your comment about the aerospace industry in NC, showing that it is far larger than the few companies you mentioned.

Its fascinating how you think you've progressed from "I am not familiar with the term "advanced manufacturing"" on July 30th to being an expert on the topic on August 3.

Last edited by Edward Teach; 08-03-2019 at 04:43 AM..

Old 08-04-2019, 10:42 PM

Edward, I don't make my arguments by "Googling" stuff off of the internet like you do.

"Advanced manufacturing" is a squishy, new age, trendy, political correct term that folks are bantering about. The Wright Brothers did not use such a term. Neither does Slack Jack.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Edward, I don't make my arguments by "Googling" stuff off of the internet like you do.

"Advanced manufacturing" is a squishy, new age, trendy, political correct term that folks are bantering about. The Wright Brothers did not use such a term. Neither does Slack Jack.
LOL, you're hilarious. No credibility, at all. And illeism to boot. Bravo!

Old 08-05-2019, 07:07 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:

Basically all manufacturing these days is advanced manufacturing to some degree or another, especially when talking about anything complex that goes beyond raw materials. The term essentially refers to the role technology plays today in the manufacturing sector as applied to both processes and products and is oftentimes used to distinguish it from traditional manufacturing. It tends to be used mostly in economic and government contexts in a more technical, specialized way but for the most part it's really just plain old manufacturing, suited for life in the 21st century. Nothing to make a big deal of really.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:01 AM

Understood. However, traditional manufacturing has incorporated more technology over the past 40 years, beginning with CAD-CAM in the early 1980's, so I do think that the term "advanced manufacturing" is overly broad.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:28 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Understood. However, traditional manufacturing has incorporated more technology over the past 40 years, beginning with CAD-CAM in the early 1980's, so I do think that the term "advanced manufacturing" is overly broad.
That's fair. I usually see the term used to refer to certain types of outfits like transportation-related companies (planes, trains, automobiles, boats, etc), various types of high-tech equipment (medical devices, PCs, laptops, smartphones, laboratory equipment, telecommunications, etc), pharmaceuticals, etc. and their suppliers.

Old 02-25-2020, 12:06 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,960,599 times
Greensboro based Qorvo(QRVO) has completed a second acquisition of another tech company within one week.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne..._news_headline

Qorvo has 8600 employees and is the third largest company in the triad.

1.Lab Corp/ 2. Old Dominion/ 3.Qorvo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point