Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 12:11 PM

6,158 posts, read 7,226,364 times

Advertisements

This article goes through a list of big sporting events the city will host in 2020 which is unprecedented in Greensboro. The article also notes one interesting fact that after the Greensboro Aquatic Center expanded at the coliseum, it is not only the largest aquatic center in the state but it's the 4th largest indoor aquatic center in the United States.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne..._news_headline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 03:28 PM

The Greensboro Aquatic Center, which is the 4th largest indoor aquatic center in the United States has been picked to host five more National Championships. I remember when the Greensboro Aquatic Center hosted a high dive reality tv show that aired on National TV (FOX)

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne..._news_headline

https://www.greensboro.com/sports/gr...d17bb558f.html

Major sporting events in Greensboro in 2020

The 2020 Y-USA national championship meets are in addition to:

• 2020 U.S. Figure Skating Championships, Jan. 20-26 at Greensboro Coliseum

• 2020 ACC Women’s Swimming and Diving Championships, Feb.19-22 at Greensboro Aquatic Center.

• 2020 Men’s Swimming and Diving Championships, Feb. 26-29 at Greensboro Aquatic Center.

• 2020 NCAA Division III Women’s & Men’s Diving, March 18-21 at Greensboro Aquatic Center.

• 2020 ACC Women’s Basketball Tournament, March 3-8 at Greensboro Coliseum.

• 2020 ACC Men’s Basketball Tournament, March 10-14 at Greensboro Coliseum.\

• 2020 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Tournament, First/Second Rounds, March 20-22 at Greensboro Coliseum.

• 2020 Elite Club National League Girls Soccer Nationals: June 23-30.

• The annual PGA Wyndham Championship

With 78,323 square feet under roof, the GAC has emerged as one of the top aquatic venues in the nation since opening in 2011.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-02-2020 at 03:42 PM..

Old 01-02-2020, 08:34 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,961,003 times
I will be attending the us figure skating championships.

I look forward to seeing the updated Aerial shots of downtown.

Old 01-17-2020, 02:08 PM

U.S. Figure Skating Championships begin Monday.

Greensboro will also be hosting WWE Live Smackdown tonight at the Greensboro Coliseum which will air natiotionally on FOX

WWE Friday Night Smackdown | Greensboro Coliseum Complex

Two nationally televised sporting events within a week.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:05 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,644,866 times
I wouldn't call US figure skating championships or WWE 'rasslin' major sporting events, but YMMV evidently.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:47 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,961,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
I wouldn't call US figure skating championships or WWE 'rasslin' major sporting events, but YMMV evidently.
I agree, they are definitely major events, but not “sports” like a basketball or baseball game.

The convention center did reveal the ticket sells for the figure skating championships, apparently over 100.000 tickets were sold, which they said translates as over twenty million dollars back into the economy.

Not bad.

Old 01-18-2020, 11:00 AM

Its not major in terms of events like the Super Bowl or NCAA Final Four Championship game but they are "major" events. The U.S. Figure Skating Championships is just short in prestige as Olympic Skating.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:56 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
You missed some HS championships at GAC.

I have watched my grand daughter the last 2 Decembers.

I have been told there are county championships also.

Great place.

Old 01-25-2020, 12:58 PM

Been watching the U.S. Figure Skating Championships on NBC. Very cool to see such a high profile prestigious event here in Greensboro. I believe Greensboro is the first host city in the Championships history to host it 3 times within a 10 year period. Clearly they love Greensboro and the Coliseum's ability to host the championship rink, practice rink and fan fest under one roof. In other cities competitors have to be shuttled between the practice rink and main rink. The multi venue Greensboro Coliseum Complex has an advantage over the flashy newer single venue arenas. That's the disadvantage of downtown arenas. There is not enough land in such tight urban grid locations to build facilities as large as the Greensboro Coliseum Complex. The Sheraton Four Seasons/Koury Convention Center down the road is the official host hotel for the skating competitors.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-25-2020 at 02:01 PM..

Old 01-30-2020, 09:21 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,056,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
The WWE Wrestling event is definitely a stretch to be called "major" (mainly given that they travel the country anyways and make it to just to most even moderate-sized metros every few years or so). But the US Figure Skating Championships are without a doubt a very major event. Does it attract tens of thousands of fans to hotel rooms? No. But it is a major event still.

That said, I'm really looking forward to the ACC Tournament this year (it's a shame that the ACC Tournament is the same year as the NCAA Tournament because I essentially have to choose one or the other). I think I'm going to try to go to the opening day's games (3 games and it appears that there are tickets aplenty on Stubhub for $6). Later games of course have much higher demand... plus I don't expect my school (VT) to get that far this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point