Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 03:10 PM

22 posts, read 21,794 times

Advertisements

Hi I’m looking to relocate from NJ to the triad. I’m looking for more affordable cost of living. Southern hospitality like nice people slower kind not so rude and rushed just yes ma’am no sir polite type atmosphere to raise kids. Good schools. Safe. I don’t need a town necessarily but is this area like that? I grew up in central Arkansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 03:15 PM

628 posts, read 399,483 times
I think the more rural areas of the triad could be what you're looking for. You can find good information on schools here:

https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.com/src

Old 07-10-2020, 04:36 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear621 View Post
Hi I’m looking to relocate from NJ to the triad.
Well bless your heart! Do you have family or friends here?
Quote:
I’m looking for more affordable cost of living.
Most of that is rooted in having enough income to cover the bills. Anywhere.
And most of enough is rooted in the real estate costs. Anywhere.

Here's a good city vs city cost of living comparison tool: LINK
Take some time to read through the numbers.

Old 07-10-2020, 04:45 AM

410 posts, read 343,453 times
Southern hospitality is a myth. Always has been. My point is this -- you need to have other reasons for moving because people are people, no matter where you go. How much time have you spent in NC and have you spent significant time here during the month of August when the weather is typically at its worst in terms of both heat and humidity? While the cost of living is lower, salaries tend to be lower, too, on average, and there is no such thing as a union.

Last edited by JoesJava; 07-10-2020 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: Wanted to add to post

Old 07-10-2020, 08:39 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Yes, I think you will find many parallels to central Arkansas. I'm guessing it will be a little bit colder in winter than AR. The Triad does tend to see some snow most winters (a smidge more than Raleigh or Charlotte, but not as much as the mountains). And yes I think the pace is slower and folks are friendly and more polite. Can't guarantee yes ma'am or yes sirs, but I do tend to hear that in more rural areas. I think it is falling by the wayside everywhere though.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:04 AM

482 posts, read 419,275 times
NC is more affordable than NJ for sure, but NC is also the most expensive Southern state to live in.

Old 07-11-2020, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
NC is more affordable than NJ for sure, but NC is also the most expensive Southern state to live in.
Setting aside the absurdity of comparing COL for states, NC is less expensive than SC, FL and VA.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...index-by-state

Old 07-12-2020, 04:29 AM

482 posts, read 419,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
Setting aside the absurdity of comparing COL for states, NC is less expensive than SC, FL and VA.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...index-by-state
This site shows that NC has a higher tax burden than neighboring states.......

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-burden/20494/

Old 07-12-2020, 05:01 AM

38 posts, read 61,144 times
I've been looking at Yanceyville for a home purchase: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yancey...North_Carolina. For schools, it's not that bad; they've been improving. I would also look at Rockingham County - Reidsville.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
This site shows that NC has a higher tax burden than neighboring states.......

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-burden/20494/
"Tax burden" and "most expensive state to live in" (sic) are not the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point