Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 08:14 PM

771 posts, read 624,158 times

Advertisements

I can't help but point out the fact that Alamance County is the only red county between the Triangle and Triad in regards to presidential elections. The numbers are practically identical from 2008 to 2020. Why do you believe this is the case? Do you envision Alamance turning blue in the near future? Especially given Alamance's proximity to Chapel Hill and Greensboro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2020, 04:34 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,423,675 times
No, but Ricky Hurtado got elected. It's a start.

Old 11-08-2020, 08:23 AM

185 posts, read 199,073 times
I was just talking about the Burlington Alamance aera the other day with my manager. I work in Burlington but live in Greensboro. I use to to also live in Burlington for about 2 years back in 2010 when I was a flight attendant and based out for Rdu.. rent was cheaper to live in Burlington and I'd just usually have to drive to rdu once or twice a week to start a trip.. anyway... anyway burlington is rural, country vibe.. honestly if it wasnt for Alamance Crossing back in 2010 I wouldn't have survived living there lol.. I believe Burlington is for the folks that think Greensboro and Chapel Hill, Durham and Raleigh areas are too liberal or progressive for their taste. Whos know maybe when Mebane and those areas reach full capacity. Things will start trickling to Burlington aera... who knows , that might end up being a up and coming city once the surrounding areas reach their capacity .. but right now Burlington is nothing but Labcorp city.

Old 11-08-2020, 04:41 PM

773 posts, read 645,134 times
Alamance County will turn blue when better educated people move there, which will only happen if and when the public schools get better.

Old 11-09-2020, 05:11 AM

410 posts, read 342,974 times
Alamance County will never turn blue as long as you have a majority of the population there who lives and acts as if things have not changed in 400 years.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:46 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Alamance is pretty polarized and pretty rural. It’s interesting though because it has a strong Quaker history and several stops on the Underground Railroad. I think it’s the ol’ rural/urban divide. Unless Alamance has a major growth spurt I don’t see it going blue anytime soon. Johnston County is right next to Wake County and partly in the Triangle and more populated than Alamance and it was 61% for Trump. All the other counties around Guilford and Forsyth are red too.

Old 11-10-2020, 02:38 PM

771 posts, read 624,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Alamance is pretty polarized and pretty rural. It’s interesting though because it has a strong Quaker history and several stops on the Underground Railroad. I think it’s the ol’ rural/urban divide. Unless Alamance has a major growth spurt I don’t see it going blue anytime soon. Johnston County is right next to Wake County and partly in the Triangle and more populated than Alamance and it was 61% for Trump. All the other counties around Guilford and Forsyth are red too.
I wonder if Elon University leans conservative, too.

Old 11-10-2020, 03:37 PM

6,110 posts, read 4,602,134 times
Here's a map to show which areas lean Republican (most rural areas, particularly in the Southern part of the county and surprisingly, at least to me, this includes Saxapahaw) and Democratic based on the 2016 POTUS election results. There wasn't a map yet available for the 2020 race.

https://er.ncsbe.gov/contest_details...ontest_id=1001

As shown, Alamance still leans Republican, but still with just over 50 percent of the voters voting for Trump overall in 2016 and 2020.

https://er.ncsbe.gov/?election_dt=11...D&contest=1373

To give context, within the greater Triad region, Stokes, Davidson, Randolph, Wilkes and Yadkin gave Trump over 70 percent of the vote, and I don't see those counties turning blue anytime soon.

For Alamance to turn Democratic, I think you would have to see the level of growth there ramp up, particularly with more educated people moving in, which is a better possibility in areas along the I-85/I-40 corridor. Alamance still has many areas with lots of rural, conservative thinking (places like Snow Camp, etc.). Areas like that exist in Guilford county too, for instance, but just not in the numbers significant enough to dominate the political landscape like Alamance and some of the other darker red counties mentioned.

The difference in Alamance County is also reflected in Alamance electing the people it does to local offices (i.e. Sheriff Terry Johnson vs. the sheriffs that you see in Guilford, Forsyth, Orange, Durham, Wake, etc.).

Old 11-10-2020, 03:40 PM

6,110 posts, read 4,602,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
I wonder if Elon University leans conservative, too.
Assuming this is accurate (go down to politics), not really, but then that's also a function of a younger group, even one that's not all that diverse.

https://www.niche.com/colleges/elon-...sity/students/

Old 11-10-2020, 03:46 PM

773 posts, read 645,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
For Alamance to turn Democratic, I think you would have to see the level of growth there ramp up, particularly with more educated people moving in, which is a better possibility in areas along the I-85/I-40 corridor. Alamance still has many areas with lots of rural, conservative thinking (places like Snow Camp, etc.). Areas like that exist in Guilford county too, for instance, but just not in the numbers significant enough to dominate the political landscape like Alamance and some of the other darker red counties mentioned.
I think thats exactly what someone else said upthread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point