Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 06:32 PM

7 posts, read 32,816 times

Advertisements

When will Greensboro add a new skyscraper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 02:43 PM

3,491 posts, read 8,584,283 times
Roy Caroll is the developer who took the 16-story old Wachovia Building that was built in 1966, stripped it to its steel and converted it to luxury condos called Center Pointe. Even though its a renovation, it might as well be a totally new tower in downtown Greensboro. However, Roy Caroll did hint of building a tall building next to his Center Pointe project at some point in the future. Evidence of that can be seen on the north side of the building where there are no balconies. A rendering was floating arounding the internet at one time that showed a much taller twin tower around 30-stories but thats not saying Roy will end up doing that

A Charlotte developer is also proposing a tower in downtown Greensboro which would be a boutique hotel/luxury condo tower. Its suppose to be around 12-stories and would be built at the corner of Davie Street and Friendly Ave diagonally from Center-City Park (where Rhumba Latina use to be) The developer said it would take 90 days to close on the property which means we should be hearing something about the project this month or early June.

In addition Downtown Greensboro, Inc had stated back in January that we could see some big projects proposed this year which are mainly office. Now im not sure if they mean office towers but I do know that office vacany is low in the central business district so it would make sense. But yes I cant wait to see Greensboro's skyline grow and I hope we will see a new signature tower taller that the Lincoln Financial Building (JP).

Last year a local developer had planned to build a massive entertainment/hotel-convention/residential/office complex called "Greensboro Triumph Center" it would have taken up three city blocks and would include a 20-story 4-star luxury hotel and convention center and another 18-story tower. The project also consisted of an entertainment complex that would have virtual rides, children's rides, a cosmic bowling alley, Billards hall, a multiplex theater, an IMAX theater, restaurants, a shopping court in the convention center and a music/restaurant venue that would seat 2,000 people and draw big national acts (maybe a House of Blues type venue?). There was alot in the media about this project last summer and it was projected to cost $300 plus million. It was also planned to be a "destination for the southeast region" and it involved an unidenified Orlando development company working with the local developer as well as "international investors". Some had speculated Disney was involved because Disney is indeed looking into building urban entertainment complexes in select cities but there is no evidence of that in Greensboro's case. We havent heard anything about this project in a while. Many thought it to be unrealistic and that the project is now dead. However city leaders are still mum about it even today. The project may have been put on hold.

rendering of The new Center Pointe tower. Its suppose to be complete this summer
http://www.downtownstadium.org/centerpointe2.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by gsoboi; 05-09-2008 at 02:56 PM..

Old 05-11-2008, 06:52 AM

As I predicted Roy Carroll is the downtown developer that is going to develope 4.5 acres of the 6 acre former Chevrolet dealership lots next to NewBridge Bank ballpark. Roy said the buildngs there will be no higher than 6-stories but he said something. Roy Caroll also owns the former Guilford County Tax building and lot. That lot is located at the corner of Eugene and Lindsay Street across the street from the ballpark. Roy say he envisions a building there that could range between 6 and 30 stories! We now know of 3 potential Highrises. Roy's visionary tower across from the ballpark, His plans on the lot next to Center Pointe, and a Charlotte developer's plans for a 12-story boutique hotel/condo highrise.

Also there is a plan to build a 22-story condo/office building near the airport in Greensboro called Triad Tower. The building was origionally planned to be 12-stories. That project will be located next to Embassay Suites near the I-40/Hwy 68 interchange. Plan call for the building to have a penthouse restaurant and a public obersvation deck so people can watch the planes land and take off. The first floor will have an aquarium and possiblly an IMAX theater. Ironically the building will be located between the flight paths of two runways!!

"Developer sets sights on former dealership in Greensboro" : News-Record.com : Greensboro, North Carolina

"Allen Johnson: Low-key Carroll has high-rise hopes for downtown Greensboro’s rebirth" : News-Record.com : Greensboro, North Carolina

Here is the Triad Tower website

Triad Tower - the center of the Triad

Last edited by gsoboi; 05-11-2008 at 07:22 AM..

Old 05-11-2008, 06:50 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,807,662 times
Are they actually ever going to start building the Triad Tower? Sounds dead to me.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Are they actually ever going to start building the Triad Tower? Sounds dead to me.
yes they are. Alot of big projects have been put on the back burner due to the poor housing market. Expect to see Triad Tower get back on track in 2009 which is also when the FedEx hub is set to open.

BTW this will be the first "green" skyscraper in the Triad.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
Last year a local developer had planned to build a massive entertainment/hotel-convention/residential/office complex called "Greensboro Triumph Center" it would have taken up three city blocks and would include a 20-story 4-star luxury hotel and convention center and another 18-story tower. The project also consisted of an entertainment complex that would have virtual rides, children's rides, a cosmic bowling alley, Billards hall, a multiplex theater, an IMAX theater, restaurants, a shopping court in the convention center and a music/restaurant venue that would seat 2,000 people and draw big national acts (maybe a House of Blues type venue?). There was alot in the media about this project last summer and it was projected to cost $300 plus million. It was also planned to be a "destination for the southeast region" and it involved an unidenified Orlando development company working with the local developer as well as "international investors". Some had speculated Disney was involved because Disney is indeed looking into building urban entertainment complexes in select cities but there is no evidence of that in Greensboro's case. We havent heard anything about this project in a while. Many thought it to be unrealistic and that the project is now dead. However city leaders are still mum about it even today. The project may have been put on hold.
Here was FOX 8 reporting on this a year ago. I sure hope this downtown project will still move forward. Many times projects, especially of this scale are often put on the back burner for two or three years before a developer moves forward. This deal is very complex because it involves an Orlando, Fl development company, a local developer named Issac Cain and other investors.

Sidebar Video

here is a 4 page artice on the project from the Business Journal

Skeptics seeing merit in Greensboro mega-project - The Business Journal of the Greater Triad Area:

- "The goal is to create a destination for the region -- the Southeast region,"

- "The concept of such all-in-one tourist/convention destinations -- a kind of theme park without roller coasters or water slides -- is an idea whose time is arriving."

- "If it can be accomplished, a project like this could truly change the dynamics of Greensboro. It will show that we can compete on a national scale."

- "As soon as they get a letter of intent on some land, the plans will be announced," he says. "That's when people's jaws will drop"

a more detailed article about this massive sprawling complex

"'Iffy' project up to $300 million" : News-Record.com : Greensboro, North Carolina

"* a multiuse complex that includes 150,000 square feet of prime office space; about 20,000 square feet of retail space; about 200 apartments and 50 luxury condominiums; a restaurant/entertainment venue; and a 1,000-vehicle parking deck.

This part of the development would include three connected buildings, the tallest of which would be about 18 stories.

The entertainment site could support national acts and seat more than 1,000 people, Gibbs said.

* a 500-room, four-star hotel and an attached, 200,000-square-foot conference center and shopping court. The hotel could be as tall as 20 stories and would include a restaurant, spa and parking deck.

* a 200,000-square-foot entertainment complex that could include a four-screen movie theater; a 20-lane "cosmic" bowling alley; a roller rink; 16 to 20 billiard tables; interactive games, simulator rides and children's rides; and perhaps, a 3-D IMAX theater. This section would also have a parking deck."

Suposedly there were three different plans that varied in size and height. The smallest plan would be more of a regional destination for the Triad but the biggest plan would be a much bigger destination drawing people from as far away a Greenville, SC. The plan involves at least two skyscrapers with the remaing buildings being midrises. One inside source had told me that the largest version would be bigger than Peabody Place (Memphis) and Epicenter (Charlotte) combined and then some.

Last edited by gsoboi; 05-12-2008 at 12:53 PM..

Old 05-13-2008, 11:46 AM

71 posts, read 285,134 times
Let's pray the housing market will bounce back in the next year or so..

The Triad Tower is great, but I wish an ambitious project like this would be closer to the center-city.

Also, I wish the city would show effort to provide some sort of light rail service from the center-city to the airport. There could be stops along the way at places such as UNCG, Friendly Center and Guilford College.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:53 AM

71 posts, read 285,134 times
I'm thinking the rail line could start near the Galyon Depot (Amtrak, GTA, etc.), have a stop at the proposed gateway/transportation stop in the UNCG master plan ( http://www.uncg.edu/fpl/UNCG_REPORT_FINAL_DEC07-web.pdf), and could run its way to Friendly Center and so on.

If the city had some sense when they widened Friendly Ave (west of Holden) and put a median there, bicycle lanes would have been included. The rail line could also have ran along the median. Too ambitious and too eco-friendly for a city that seems to be obsessed with the car; though things are somewhat improving...

Old 05-13-2008, 11:56 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,557,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caodhan View Post
I'm thinking the rail line could start near the Galyon Depot (Amtrak, GTA, etc.), have a stop at the proposed gateway/transportation stop in the UNCG master plan ( http://www.uncg.edu/fpl/UNCG_REPORT_FINAL_DEC07-web.pdf), and could run its way to Friendly Center and so on.

If the city had some sense when they widened Friendly Ave (west of Holden) and put a median there, bicycle lanes would have been included. The rail line could also have ran along the median. Too ambitious and too eco-friendly for a city that seems to be obsessed with the car; though things are somewhat improving...
You never know. We just got Light Rail here in Charlotte in November 2007. Raleigh tried to get light rail but didn't have the density and the state funding was just not there. We only have 1 line open now...but there are at least 4 more lines that will open in the up and coming years.

You have to have density to make it work. The new Light Rail here has exceeded their expectations for ridership. It is up...probably due to gas prices and having to pay $150-$175 a month to park in Uptown Charlotte if you work Uptown.

I think Greensboro is a MUCH nicer city than Raleigh!!!

Old 05-13-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caodhan View Post
Let's pray the housing market will bounce back in the next year or so..

The Triad Tower is great, but I wish an ambitious project like this would be closer to the center-city.

Also, I wish the city would show effort to provide some sort of light rail service from the center-city to the airport. There could be stops along the way at places such as UNCG, Friendly Center and Guilford College.
I agree. Most people Ive talked to about it wishes this condo project were downtown. Downtown must have the mass in order to support services such as grocery stories and eventually retail such as "urban Target and Home Depot" stores. I believe downtown Greensboro will see its best days when it not only becomes more of an office center but a major retail center as well. Hopefully we will soon see a day when companies are not persueded to build or lease their offices in suburban office buildings and hopefully we will see a day when retail stores like The Gap will come downtown.

I am very discourged that the city of Greensboro wants to rip up the abandoned Battleground rail line from downtown to Northwest Greensboro for a greenway trail.....dont get me wrong I love greenways. I just think that abandon rail line would be put to better use having a rail trolley. It wouldnt be that expensive because the rail is already in place. If they dig the rails up and then 20 years later the decide the want a commuter rail line connecting downtown with Northwest Greensboro, the city is going to have to spend million, hundreds of millions by then in putting the tracks back down. Northwest Greensboro is one of the fastest and wealthiest parts of Greensboro and it only makes sense to preserve that rail track for future transportation use. Its poor planning on the city's part for wanting to rip up the tracks. Instead the city wants to follow this "rail to trail" fad. The craziest thing is that the abandoned rail line hardly goes through any residential neighborhoods, it goes mainly through commercial and retail districts so I just dont see it getting alot of use unless its nearby alot of residential neighborhoods. being that this rail line goes through commerical and retail sections of town, it only makes since to convert it to a trolley line and then eventutally to a commuter rail line. There are stores like Target along this rail line.

Last edited by gsoboi; 05-13-2008 at 01:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point