Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 07:58 PM

676 posts, read 492,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
No offense, as an outsider, Outside Winstons Downtown. Not one bit of it was appealing. Very incohesive and lacked the good qualities that Greensboro has.

Greensboro is what the post is on about, so just keep it on topic

Gotta disagree with you on this one... I live in Greensboro, but I like Winston Salem alot. The Reynolda House and Reynolda Village.. West End... Ardmore.. Nice neighborhoods to the W and NW of downtown in particular. Winston Salem's downtown is definitely superior, but Greensboro does have the advantage in terms of its new Performance Arts Center and downtown parks. W-S's ballpark is great, but Greensboro's is better integrated into the downtown area. Greensboro has the better city park and garden system, but has nothing that can compete with Tanglewood to the west of Winston Salem. On average the cities are pretty much equal in my eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2021, 09:43 PM

511 posts, read 510,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Didn't the OP ask about places to live in the area? He mentioned Kernersville which is next to Winston-Salem.

How is mentioning W-S as an option off topic?

Maybe you should read what is actually written, versus reading what you'd like to focus on.
Winston is a great city but would be pushing the <30 min drive desired by the OP.

Old 05-22-2021, 05:11 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,424,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Kernersville is a bit.. rural? No? I did some google street views and it looks small and very country. Not sure OP was looking for that.
It is a pretty part of the county, I think.

Old 05-22-2021, 06:06 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
Winston is a great city but would be pushing the <30 min drive desired by the OP.
Depending on where he/she works in GSO, a <30 min commute to Winston-Salem is possible.

Old 05-22-2021, 07:50 AM

186 posts, read 173,597 times
About 5 years ago when we moved to Norah Carolina we were deciding between Winston and Greensboro.... Irving Park, Fisher Park, Sunset Hills in Greensboro and West End, Ardmore and Buena Vista in Winston. I think we would be happy in any of these neighborhoods but we ended up in Winston. I feel like you can get anything you need in either city. If you can’t, the other one is at most 35 min away. It is rare that we have to drive more than 8 minutes to go anywhere which we love! I don’t think there is any reason to live in Winston and commute to Greensboro.

In Greensboro we were looking at Sternberger/Kiser/Grimsley. Although school ratings aren’t 10’s for either city, you can get a great education at many of the Triad’s public schools. There are also many magnet options in Winston.

You did say you want a newer house.... most of your other wants are going to be checked off in these beautiful, close to the city center older neighborhoods. Do you want a more suburban planned neighborhood with a community pool or do you want to be close to everything (and pay for a pool membership?).

Old 05-22-2021, 08:43 AM

511 posts, read 510,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Depending on where he/she works in GSO, a <30 min commute to Winston-Salem is possible.
Their job is in 27405 which is the northeast side of the city. The furthest away from Winston.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:00 PM

3 posts, read 4,859 times
Thank you everyone trying to help me. Yes, I like Winston and Kernersville too, they both are very nice but a little far to work. Stokesdale/Reidsville are too rural to me. How’s about Browns Summit? Some houses assign with Northern Guilford Schools. Any ideas about it? North Gso looks great. We drove to the areas 27455, 27410, 27208 and we really like it. How’s about the Mendenhall Middle School/ Page High? Thanks!

Old 06-04-2021, 06:37 AM

32 posts, read 24,420 times
We're moving to the Lake Jeanette area in a month and couldn't be more excited about the location and neighborhood. Friends who have grown up in Gboro say that Page is a great school and rivals Grimsley both in academics and athletics (they say it's like the ”preppy kid” version of Grimsley, which makes sense given the location). Mendenhall I have heard nothing about and don't know what to expect with that school.

I think North GSO is the place to be if you can afford it. We looked at Brown's Summit and being on well/septic was a non-starter for us. Lake Jeanette felt like the best of both worlds - beautiful surroundings, green and lush, but still on city utilities and closer to ”stuff”. Our house is expensive and may price some people out, but coming from Durham it feels like a steal to us (but the housing market here is absolutely bonkers).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point