Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 05:31 PM

851 posts, read 416,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Looks like BMW is paying $20 an hour for assembly workers in SC:

Toyota/Mazda starting at $18, average $21: https://www.salary.com/job/mazda-toy...f-fc023a20be41

Ford's union workforce is making $21

The upside for tenure and making more money for doing the same job for 20 years is probably lower at BMW though. I'm not sure what Hyundai and Kia are paying.
I'd have to guess then that similar wages will be paid here. It's good money. P&G in Brown Summit has been advertising for plant help at a starting wage of over $20/hr. I don't think they're having success at filling the positions and it makes me wonder about Toyota being able to fill its own positions. They're gonna need 1750 human beings that can pass a drug test, get out of bed 5 days a week and give an employer a minimum of 8 hours of honest labor. This in addition to Publix as well as the possibilities of Amazon and PTI?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2021, 06:39 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
I'd have to guess then that similar wages will be paid here. It's good money. P&G in Brown Summit has been advertising for plant help at a starting wage of over $20/hr. I don't think they're having success at filling the positions and it makes me wonder about Toyota being able to fill its own positions. They're gonna need 1750 human beings that can pass a drug test, get out of bed 5 days a week and give an employer a minimum of 8 hours of honest labor. This in addition to Publix as well as the possibilities of Amazon and PTI?
The good news is that there will be a few years before those workers are needed.

This would pay better than Amazon or Publix. The PTI project sounds nice if it happens, but it seems a little pie in the sky.

Old 12-08-2021, 07:04 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
The good news is that there will be a few years before those workers are needed.

This would pay better than Amazon or Publix. The PTI project sounds nice if it happens, but it seems a little pie in the sky.
Actually negotiations are pretty far. This is very likely to happen according to state leaders involved in the process. When you look it what is already at PTI, its not really pie in the sky for this particular airport. Honda Aircraft Company paved the way for a company like this looking to expand into PTI. The airport already has jet manufacturing, so it's very feasible

Old 12-08-2021, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Actually negotiations are pretty far. This is very likely to happen according to state leaders involved in the process. When you look it what is already at PTI, its not really pie in the sky for this particular airport. Honda Aircraft Company paved the way for a company like this looking to expand into PTI. The airport already has jet manufacturing, so it's very feasible
I'm not saying the issue is with deciding on if PTI is where they build.

I question whether the project happens anywhere. This seems like the kind of thing that could die before the building is complete.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:43 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,082 times
Quote:
I'm not saying the issue is with deciding on if PTI is where they build.

I question whether the project happens anywhere. This seems like the kind of thing that could die before the building is complete.
Investing a bunch of state incentive money as well as allocating land and other resources for an immature aerospace company that doesn't have a solid, long term track record is very risky. Almost sounds like a beta test project.

Old 12-08-2021, 11:02 PM

68 posts, read 43,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Investing a bunch of state incentive money as well as allocating land and other resources for an immature aerospace company that doesn't have a solid, long term track record is very risky. Almost sounds like a beta test project.
Maybe. Maybe not. I doubt the governor is supporting a project that hasn't been fully vetted. Skepticism is understandable with any start-up ...but the "pre-orders" are impressive.

Old 12-09-2021, 12:01 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Triad Business Journal reports that "phase 2" at the mega site will likely be an expansion by Toyota to build more than just batteries at the megasite. Translation......electric vehicle assembly. One clue is the big jump in the number of jobs....from 1,700 to 3,800. A spokesman from Toyota basically dove into the numbers when asked about phase 2 and said the site will produce electric cars without saying it directly. He basically said in order to make the projected numbers in investment and the number of jobs we will be doing something in phase 2 other than just making batteries. This makes sense because other automakers include both battery plants and electric car assembly on the same site. Sales for electric cars are growing especially with the fluctuations with gas prices. More and more businesses and cities are adding charging stations. But I suspect an assembly plant at the Greensboro-Randolph Megasite will produce both hybrid and electric cars.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...-analysis.html

Old 12-09-2021, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Yep.

And to address the "I'm sure they've been vetted" viewpoint, it happens all the time everyplace where officials get stars in their eyes over speculative projects like this. I'm not saying it will fail. I'm not saying anything shady is going on. I'm just saying that I'll believe it when the plant is built and jets are being assembled.

Old 12-09-2021, 06:55 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,082 times
Quote:
Yep.

And to address the "I'm sure they've been vetted" viewpoint, it happens all the time everyplace where officials get stars in their eyes over speculative projects like this. I'm not saying it will fail. I'm not saying anything shady is going on. I'm just saying that I'll believe it when the plant is built and jets are being assembled.
The true validation that will show that this is a fully legit operation is when we start to see repeat orders from commercial airlines, the Air Force, and other countries.

Old 12-09-2021, 07:06 AM

Quote:
The true validation that will show that this is a fully legit operation is when we start to see repeat orders from commercial airlines, the Air Force, and other countries.
Absolutely. Basically, the chances are high this doesn't work out at all. If it does get built, it could very well still be Dell 2.0 in a way (closing after a short time).

The chances that this ends up being what's spoken of is, to be frank, fairly low. But if it happens as promised, it's indeed a BIG deal.

And none of this is to say it's not a risk worth taking. In fact, if it DOES work out, it could lead to more down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point