Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2023, 11:32 AM

75 posts, read 227,858 times

Advertisements

What a colossal waste of taxpayer money. Just think of the millions of dollars spent on this place over the past year just for it to sit empty. It shouldn’t have been located there in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2023, 12:40 PM

241 posts, read 241,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPmode View Post
What a colossal waste of taxpayer money. Just think of the millions of dollars spent on this place over the past year just for it to sit empty. It shouldn’t have been located there in the first place.

The place was already sitting empty before it was repurposed to house these unaccompanied minors. It is anticipated to employ 1500 people. That's no small number. From a strictly fiscal point of view, I'd say the job creation likely offsets whatever money was spent upgrading the facility.

Old 02-02-2023, 10:46 AM

9 posts, read 7,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamchaser13 View Post
The place was already sitting empty before it was repurposed to house these unaccompanied minors. It is anticipated to employ 1500 people. That's no small number. From a strictly fiscal point of view, I'd say the job creation likely offsets whatever money was spent upgrading the facility.

The feds signed a $50 million deal just to lease a space that’s been sitting empty for almost a year after signing the contract. Furthermore, two more contracts (one for $177 million and another for $322 million) were awarded to companies to provide various levels of support to the operations of the facility. Operations which have yet to begin due to contract disputes. So, roughly $500 million of taxpayer money for an empty facility is worth it to you?

Old 02-02-2023, 03:05 PM

241 posts, read 241,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Boey View Post
The feds signed a $50 million deal just to lease a space that’s been sitting empty for almost a year after signing the contract. Furthermore, two more contracts (one for $177 million and another for $322 million) were awarded to companies to provide various levels of support to the operations of the facility. Operations which have yet to begin due to contract disputes. So, roughly $500 million of taxpayer money for an empty facility is worth it to you?

What are you saying here? That the facility will never be opened and the money has vanished? I think its more likely the facility that was already sitting empty and taking up space in Greensboro will be opened, albeit later than expected, and will be used for its stated purpose. But lets be honest, you are against this project and its not because of the delayed opening. If it was up and running, I'm willing to be you'd still be upset...probably more upset. Am I wrong?

Old 02-02-2023, 04:24 PM

858 posts, read 430,445 times
Assuming we're all United States taxpayers, everyone here is fully entitled to his or her opinion regarding the wisdom of our money's usage, as well as to their own motivations for forming such opinions. Mine? I'd rather the place sit vacant and save the $500 million.

Last edited by TunedIn; 02-02-2023 at 05:48 PM..

Old 02-02-2023, 08:21 PM

382 posts, read 214,200 times
I would rather spend $ 500 million on "guns and chickens". Which has been basically pissed away on this crap hole.

Old 02-02-2023, 08:24 PM

858 posts, read 430,445 times
Nobody can spend money like Uncle Sugar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point