Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 11:36 PM

821 posts, read 1,464,191 times

Advertisements

Hi - I'm considering a move from the Raleigh area to the Greensboro area - in short, I have family in the Charlotte area and would like to be closer, but am not interested in Charlotte.
Has anyone moved from the Raleigh area to Greensboro, and if so, would you share your thoughts on similarities and differences (and if you're happy with the move)? It seems like a good mid-sized city, which is something that I enjoyed when I first moved to the Raleigh area years ago.
I'm considering new construction or condos, any thoughts on safe areas (living alone, big concern) with active communities? Not quite to the 55+ range, but nibbling at it....

Thanks so much for any insights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2022, 05:49 AM

32 posts, read 25,409 times
We moved from Durham to GSO (Northwest area) last summer and have nothing but good things to say about Greensboro so far. We moved for similar reasons as you described - felt Durham got too big, grew too fast, and too expensive. Greensboro is physically bigger than Durham, but much less busy and more laid back. It's growing but not as fast, and to my eyes it does an excellent job of building infrastructure to support growth.

If I boiled it down to one thing, I would say that the Triangle no longer feels "Southern" to me, it has become a huge transplant hub and has lost a lot of the southern charm that I used to love so much about NC. Greensboro still has it.

Things I love: Great neighborhoods, friendly people, no traffic, idyllic landscapes and amazing public parks, cute downtown with room to grow, central location makes travel easy, airport is amazing when you can use it (wish it had more flights).

Things I don't love so much: Downtown is not especially vibrant and it skews to a college crowd. Parts of the city look ugly and badly need makeovers (areas near 40). Have to travel to CLT or RDU for most flights. Food is good, not great (not as good as Durham or Raleigh). Too many churches for my liking, although people don't seem to proselytize too much.

Old 07-10-2022, 07:06 AM

6,161 posts, read 7,236,700 times
While I'm not from Raleigh, I've been there many times. In your case Greensboro is the right balance. It has all the urban amenities you would expect but at the same time it's less busy and like the other poster mentioned more laid back. Its also not as expensive and you would still have closer access to Charlotte.

Old 07-10-2022, 08:36 AM

34,107 posts, read 83,054,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest12 View Post
Hi - I'm considering a move from the Raleigh area to the Greensboro area
Thanks so much for any insights!
Where will your work be until retirement?
If in Raleigh do you want to drive into the sun AM & PM for the commute?

Old 07-10-2022, 10:52 PM

Thanks, gsboi78 and BullCitytoJeanCity!

MrRational, I think the idea is for ~5 years - so not quite until retirement, but maybe. I won't have to commute, so my options are open. Trying to decide between there and the coast - it will probably come down to proximity to family.

Old 07-11-2022, 10:23 AM

164 posts, read 113,639 times
Quote:
Thanks, gsboi78 and BullCitytoJeanCity!

MrRational, I think the idea is for ~5 years - so not quite until retirement, but maybe. I won't have to commute, so my options are open. Trying to decide between there and the coast - it will probably come down to proximity to family.
Interesting. The coast or Greensboro? Where at the coast if not Greensboro? Is it because of cost? Everything is going up everywhere. What about crime in Greensboro?

Old 07-11-2022, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allmypets View Post
Interesting. The coast or Greensboro? Where at the coast if not Greensboro? Is it because of cost? Everything is going up everywhere. What about crime in Greensboro?
I'd honestly prefer the coast - lived in Wilmington for several years, and while I probably wouldn't go back there, miss the atmosphere. Likely the Sunset Beach area.
Problems with the coast - I'm used to more options in larger cities, and not too keen on property ownership during hurricanes Also, I work remotely, so stable internet infrastructure is a must (preferably fiber).
Crime - my understanding is that Greensboro is like most cities, it depends on where you live. However, I'm certainly open to thoughts on it!

Old 07-12-2022, 07:47 AM

855 posts, read 421,270 times
Quote:
I'd honestly prefer the coast - lived in Wilmington for several years, and while I probably wouldn't go back there, miss the atmosphere. Likely the Sunset Beach area.
Problems with the coast - I'm used to more options in larger cities, and not too keen on property ownership during hurricanes Also, I work remotely, so stable internet infrastructure is a must (preferably fiber).
Crime - my understanding is that Greensboro is like most cities, it depends on where you live. However, I'm certainly open to thoughts on it!
Regarding crime, Greensboro isn't like most cities. Of course some areas are safer than others, but the overall crime rate is high, especially gun violence and homicide. Lots of vagrants and panhandlers downtown, what there is of it. Extremely underwhelming for a city of 300,000. Listen to everybody here though, you might fall in love with Greensboro. A Hoppers game with fireworks is the best 12 bucks spent on the planet. The lakes and trails are a big plus. My bar is Northern cities though, and overall it strikes me here as a big sprawling town, about as hip and charming as Charlton Heston.

Last edited by TunedIn; 07-12-2022 at 08:37 AM..

Old 07-12-2022, 08:57 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,060,589 times
Quote:
Crime in Greensboro is, like you stated, is largely confined to certain areas. I'd say there is a larger amount of area in Greensboro than many cities that have high crime but there are plenty of safer areas as well. Western Greensboro and Northern Greensboro are generally your best bets. Eastern Greensboro is largely rough.

Old 07-12-2022, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
Regarding crime, Greensboro isn't like most cities. Of course some areas are safer than others, but the overall crime rate is high, especially gun violence and homicide. Lots of vagrants and panhandlers downtown, what there is of it. Extremely underwhelming for a city of 300,000. Listen to everybody here though, you might fall in love with Greensboro. A Hoppers game with fireworks is the best 12 bucks spent on the planet. The lakes and trails are a big plus. My bar is Northern cities though, and overall it strikes me here as a big sprawling town, about as hip and charming as Charlton Heston.
Thanks...I don't even know what to do with that last part
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point