Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 09:00 AM

32 posts, read 26,755 times

Advertisements

I agree that taxpayer-funded sports arenas are generally a bad deal for the city, and both Raleigh and Charlotte are within reasonable driving distance so I don't see it as a pressing need. The Colosseum already exists though, and I would love to see GSO better utilize that and Tanger for more music/concert events and to invest in the area around the Colosseum to make it more attractive to visit.

I feel like the city books a lot of "discount" acts due to lack of belief that they could sell tickets to cover more expensive shows. I hope they take more risks in the future. Elvis performed at the Colosseum in the 70s!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2023, 10:19 AM

6,173 posts, read 7,278,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
I'd say they get it just about right. Greensboro's median household income, per capita income and poverty rate are $51,600, $31,800 and 17.4 % respectively, compared with $60,500, $34,200 and13.4% statewide. The Tanger has been a wonderful success, but its 3000 seat capacity is a far cry from the average NBA arena seating capacity of almost 19,000. And since franchise owners have a nasty habit of having taxpayers foot their construction bills, let's not build it. Dirty Harry once said that a man's got to know his limitations.
That's one reason why it would not happen. Every civic project recently constructed in Greensboro had to be built with private dollars because they would otherwise never get the support of the taxpayers. In pro sports, arenas and stadiums are outdated after about 20 years and franchises will want the cities to replace those venues or they threatened to leave town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point