Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2023, 08:08 AM

395 posts, read 302,381 times

Advertisements

So I was downtown eating the other night and noticed the trolley going up and down, up and down, up and down the streets with what appeared to be no passengers on it, not even the homeless... I wanted to hop on with my friend just to experience it but I didn't see any stations to board it, When we finally saw a trolley post it was laying on the ground... Feel like this was a wasted expense for the city in my opinion..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2023, 09:07 AM

21 posts, read 16,368 times
You got that right. Another attempt to help the Downtown businesses, at taxpayer expense.

Old 12-20-2023, 12:18 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,075,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignorePaolo View Post
You got that right. Another attempt to help the Downtown businesses, at taxpayer expense.
Nothing wrong with money being spent on public transportation... even if in attempt to help local businesses. But this doesn't seem to be well executed IMO. It would be one thing to run this during special events, but does this thing get much use on a normal night?

That said, it appears that they're extending the program claiming that there have been 25,000 riders since it all started. Not mentioned in the article, the cost.

https://greensboro.com/news/local/gr...home-top-story

Old 12-20-2023, 04:04 PM

Poorly executed is the right word. I was eating at greys tavern by the window and saw it go up and down empty.. after we finished eating we had the idea to hop on and try it but couldn't see any Trolly stops to board it. We finally saw one at the lil park area with the mans statue across from Belle Meade parking deck ( Where we parked) so figured it was no use by then to hop on .. also tr sign was laying down... They should have more stops located near actually businesses! And also the should maintain them .. no use having them if the gonna be laying on the ground

Old 12-21-2023, 09:22 AM

125 posts, read 160,660 times
I agree there should be more signage for the trolley stops, but want to add that in my experience, the trolleys will generally stop for you if you flag them down, too. Last time I rode one, they also dropped us off right outside of where we were going. That probably will only remain true on non-busy days, though.

Old 12-21-2023, 10:06 AM

21 posts, read 16,368 times
Here's what the city says about the trolley: https://www.greensboro-nc.gov/depart...wntown-trolley

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/green...n-trolley.html

Old 12-22-2023, 09:53 AM

513 posts, read 515,472 times
I rode it once. It’s nice. You can’t blame the bus for a car knocking down the sign. The stops are listed right on google maps on your phone. This was a participatory budgeting project and voted on directly by the tax payers. Although, next year it will be under the regular transit budget. There is a stop every 2 blocks. I know you don’t like bus shelters, chadfromnc, but maybe you would have noticed if there was a bench or something.

Old 12-22-2023, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
I rode it once. It’s nice. You can’t blame the bus for a car knocking down the sign. The stops are listed right on google maps on your phone. This was a participatory budgeting project and voted on directly by the tax payers. Although, next year it will be under the regular transit budget. There is a stop every 2 blocks. I know you don’t like bus shelters, chadfromnc, but maybe you would have noticed if there was a bench or something.
a actual trolley stop bench downtown would be nice. As of now they need something to show people where to board . Let's face it , senior citizens are prob the majority to ride it. I love the walk from Belle Meade parking deck up to box car and back. And downtown is walkable for most. I don't see many senior citizens breaking out their phone to check for trolley stops... There should be clear designated Trolley signs other then setting on the ground where a "car" can knock it over...

Old 12-22-2023, 03:06 PM

6,171 posts, read 7,265,850 times
Office workers love it because they can go to just about any restaurant downtown without having to get in their cars. I live downtown myself and I've used it quite a bit to get around to areas of downtown that are a bit too far to walk to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point