Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 05:50 AM

29 posts, read 110,209 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am a little confused about the concept of annexation.
Could someone explain?
Also, what is the general concensus about Lexington(and surrounding areas)? I've had the chance to visit briefly, and it seems to be quiet and rural. I've been reading about safety concerns not to mention the school situation.
Can someone comment?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 06:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,584,449 times
annexation is when a city extends its borders more into the county it is or takes over a unincorporated town.
With annexation you will get services provided by the city , kids will have to attend the city schools, and pay the higher taxes.

Benefit can be free trash and yard waste pickup and for this area the yard waste pick up is a good bonus due to the yard waste that is created in the fall from all the established trees.
You will also with your tax money get city water, gas, and sewer.
Many homes that are not part of the city have septic systems and personally I dont have a preference with one or the other but it is one less thing you will need to maintain.

Schools Lexington Schools rank very sub par and has been doing so for the last 20 years. Truth is in the numbers City Search Results Page

IMO this latest annexation is small only effected 2000 people.
This is a great article explaining in detail the pro and con of this area of Lexington being annexed.
Annexation: City growth vs. property owner rights - The Lexington Dispatch

Old 07-28-2008, 06:05 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,591,033 times
North Carolina has one of the most liberal annexation laws. Cities annex areas that are hooked up to city water but these areas must meet certain guidelines. In NC, cities have a right to annex people's land by force unlike in other states. This is one of the reasons, NC's cities have grown so fast. Charlotte now has about 700,000 people, Raleigh has about 340,000 and Greensboro has 267,000. Greensboro just annexed 10,000 people early this month. In Lexington its not a surprise there would be opposition. Most who live on the outskirts live a rural country life. Annexation means higher taxes and potentially a change from living the country life to living city life as developers target these areas for commercial projects. There were various areas annexed including near Tyro. Lexington added about 2,000 people. I think if you like the slower pace of life but you dont want to live in the country, Lexington may be a good place to live. Like all cities there are good areas and bad areas. However Lexington is not the kind of place where you are going to find a good job. Lexington lacks retail. They do have a Lowes and Walmart but most people that live there end up going to Winston or Greensboro to do their shopping. But its a nice quiet small city and they have a great BBQ festival every October.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:31 AM

Thanks for the info.
Now I understand the concept.
Do you have any suggestions for areas around Lexington/Davidson County that are in the "country" but still close enough to Winston-Salem? Maybe even somewhere between there and Charlotte.

You guys are so helpful...thanks in advance!!

Old 07-28-2008, 04:45 PM

247 posts, read 999,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want-to-be in NC View Post
Thanks for the info.
Now I understand the concept.
Do you have any suggestions for areas around Lexington/Davidson County that are in the "country" but still close enough to Winston-Salem? Maybe even somewhere between there and Charlotte.

You guys are so helpful...thanks in advance!!
There's also Wallburg and Midway which are incorporated and cannot be annexed by anyone.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippster View Post
There's also Wallburg and Midway which are incorporated and cannot be annexed by anyone.
Both of these are either in North Davidson Schools or Ledford Schools of Davidson County schools and both rank high when you click their names and see how they compare to the district and the state level

Old 07-28-2008, 08:33 PM

3,491 posts, read 8,591,033 times
Welcome is another nice town

Old 07-29-2008, 07:16 AM

Thanks again...we'll start looking!!!

Old 09-27-2008, 07:47 AM

6 posts, read 12,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want-to-be in NC View Post
Hi,
I am a little confused about the concept of annexation.
Could someone explain?
Also, what is the general concensus about Lexington(and surrounding areas)? I've had the chance to visit briefly, and it seems to be quiet and rural. I've been reading about safety concerns not to mention the school situation.
Can someone comment?

Thanks!
The city moves their city limit signs and presto you taxes double. It's like stealing being legal. You do not get service in Davidson Co that you need or that you do not already have.

Lexington is my private little HELL>

Old 09-27-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogwash View Post
The city moves their city limit signs and presto you taxes double. It's like stealing being legal. You do not get service in Davidson Co that you need or that you do not already have.

Lexington is my private little HELL>
This is not true the ones who was annex will have better roads than the state provides, trash and yard waste pickup They will also now be protected with city police
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point