Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 11:32 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm
I have kept hoping that our appreciation for the good things the South and its inhabitants offer will offset some obvious differences i.e. we are not churchgoers. MHogan and others, will our future neighbors see us as decent if quirky people who don't want to change anyone else and enjoy many of the things you all take pride in, or forever shut us out as heathen weirdos?

Depends on WHERE in NC you're moving to.
Ie, downtown Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill or Carrboro: you'd fit right in. (heck, being "heathen weirdos" would be a plus.) LOL
or--
If you moved to my parent's area...suburban, conservative, northwestern WinstonSalem. Or my paternal grandparents' home of Lewisville. Or even worse, my great-aunt's home in Yadkinville. Um...yikes. Different story completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2006, 12:23 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener
LOL not attached to any specific franchise, just that I know I like their coffee. It's terrible to try a different coffee and find out that's bad. The bitter taste lingers forever
Hey Grass Is Greener, you silly man! Don't you know that NC is the home of the most magnificent donut??? KRISPY KREME!!! To eat a hot melt in your mouth krispy kreme donut is a to die and gone to heaven feeling! Vicki

Old 06-30-2006, 12:43 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,623 times
How about us heathen weirdos, who like horses, dogs and firearms, around Asheville, far enough away that we can afford something not too tiny?

Old 06-30-2006, 01:29 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener
I'm with VickiR on this one. I come from one of areas in the country with the most unfriendly and rude people. I hope this attitude doesn't get transplanted to NC along with the people moving in. Believe me no matter how beautiful & affordable your property is, it's not a great place to live when you have to deal with angry grumpy people who you run into the grocery store, the bank, traffic, at work and everywhere else. I don't think Kereczr is looking for "acceptance". He's just looking for a community where people don't care about his sexual orientation and are more interested in his other truly more important values and beliefs. Off my soapbox and right to go getting some coffee. BTW I think Raleigh could really have more Dunkin Donuts and/or Starbucks!
Oh billy, apparently my little post made a troll come in at some point in time? But you are right all I am looking for is where people voice their disagreements in a POLITE way. I didn't go around spouting my sexuality, I never do that. The ONLY reason they knew I was gay is because the person I was with, who happens to be a male, was holding my hand. I am not so ignorant or arrogant that I want to convert everyone I meet to my worldview, all I want is to hear disagreement in a respectable manner. I don't feel that everyone in that church I went to approved of who I am, of course not! But they were polite about it and open to my being in their church. I strongly believe that if you are really a Christian, then you should be accepting and welcoming to everyone because it is your job on earth to spread the message of Jesus and to teach people what it is to be good, to help guide them. That is what impressed me. These people here who disagreed with me, still wanted me to be apart of their Church. Jesus loves everyone, not just the people you happen to like. Oh and this isn't directed toward the person I quoted lol. I quoted you to agree with you ^_~.

Old 06-30-2006, 01:32 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakecotc
Great story. What city are you from in Ohio? I am from Newark. Being that youre near Shawnee State Forest in an economically depressed area, I would guess Perry or Morgan counties?
I am from Portsmouth, horrible place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010
Just know that to visit a place is not to live there. Southern Culture demands that they be friendly. Don't confuse surface friendliness with acceptance.
I was pastor in the state for 12 years. Believe me, I know North Carloina churches.
I understand that but I would like to think the better of people in situations like that. They didn't have to welcome me into their church to simply be polite, they went far and above surface friendliness in my opinion. I even went back to the home of the people I first met and we listened to music in their back yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR
Well, this is simply my opinion but I do think that life is what YOU make of it. I walk around happy 99% of the time and find that those I come in contact with are generally happy. Those of you that have a bad attitude, in general, can't blame everyone else for your bad day. Stop and wonder...if I have problems with everyone I am in contact with during the day...is it them or is it me??? I think you know who you are. Or maybe you don't and thats the problem?
I agree generally but there are times when no matter how friendly you are, people are just horrible to be around. Portsmouth, is one of the most unfriendly, and dangerous places for its size, to live in.

And on a seperate note, in several of my posts I have mentioned sexuality, if that is what the original troll comment was concerning just let it go. Choosing a place to live is one of the biggest choices I am faced with atm and one of the biggest that will influence my life greatly for years to come. I'm tired of not being able to be who I am here without fear of getting jumped, it's only natural that I don't want to face the same thing when I move. It is not something I can just hide and keep to myself. People eventually will realize I am gay, so I want to be open about it when making this posts and asking these questions. A good deal of my friends never had a clue I was gay until they met my bf, I by no means shout out the fact I am gay, but neither do I hide it. I am who I am, nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited by Kereczr; 06-30-2006 at 01:42 PM..

Old 06-30-2006, 02:02 PM

49 posts, read 169,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr
Oh billy, apparently my little post made a troll come in at some point in time? But you are right all I am looking for is where people voice their disagreements in a POLITE way. I didn't go around spouting my sexuality, I never do that. The ONLY reason they knew I was gay is because the person I was with, who happens to be a male, was holding my hand. I am not so ignorant or arrogant that I want to convert everyone I meet to my worldview, all I want is to hear disagreement in a respectable manner. I don't feel that everyone in that church I went to approved of who I am, of course not! But they were polite about it and open to my being in their church. I strongly believe that if you are really a Christian, then you should be accepting and welcoming to everyone because it is your job on earth to spread the message of Jesus and to teach people what it is to be good, to help guide them. That is what impressed me. These people here who disagreed with me, still wanted me to be apart of their Church. Jesus loves everyone, not just the people you happen to like. Oh and this isn't directed toward the person I quoted lol. I quoted you to agree with you ^_~.
Yes, someone came in and said something inappropriate. Another person retorted but, both posts were removed. Please disregard my earlier coments as it was directed towards them

Old 06-30-2006, 02:05 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob
...skip the Dunkin and hit Krispy Kreme. Better learn our local ways now. lol
AAAUGH! Sugar bombs!! Just feed them sparingly to the kids or they'll be bouncing off the ceilings!

Side note: Krispy Kreme is a study in a boom business that almost went bust. The business heads were so puffed by the popularity of the treat that they had huge plans: a new corporate complex in downtown Winston-Salem that would also house a performing arts center, luxury condos, retail and restaurants. The idea was presented with much fanfare; predictions were that this new business center would be the regeneration of that section of the city. Instead, we heard the whine of a nose diving crash that almost caused the company to go under. Heads were lopped off, restructuring was done, and Krispy Kreme has gradually regained it's pre-boom stability. I guess that's a lesson telling business poobahs to not get too big-headed about the popularity of your product.

Old 06-30-2006, 02:27 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR
Hey Grass Is Greener, you silly man! Don't you know that NC is the home of the most magnificent donut??? KRISPY KREME!!! To eat a hot melt in your mouth krispy kreme donut is a to die and gone to heaven feeling! Vicki
Litterally to die for

Old 06-30-2006, 02:31 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing
AAAUGH! Sugar bombs!! Just feed them sparingly to the kids or they'll be bouncing off the ceilings!

Side note: Krispy Kreme is a study in a boom business that almost went bust. The business heads were so puffed by the popularity of the treat that they had huge plans: a new corporate complex in downtown Winston-Salem that would also house a performing arts center, luxury condos, retail and restaurants. The idea was presented with much fanfare; predictions were that this new business center would be the regeneration of that section of the city. Instead, we heard the whine of a nose diving crash that almost caused the company to go under. Heads were lopped off, restructuring was done, and Krispy Kreme has gradually regained it's pre-boom stability. I guess that's a lesson telling business poobahs to not get too big-headed about the popularity of your product.
Yes, it boomed and busted here in eastern MA. I remember when this BEAUTIFUL Krispy Kreme open a few years ago in Malden, MA (or near Malden). When the opened on a Sat. they needed SEVERAL detail police officers to control traffic!! It was backed up in and around the store. The store was nice, and you could see the donuts being made- it was quite nice. You'd see people buying not 1 dozen, not 2 dozen, 3 dozen or more at a time! You'd thought it was bottled water on the of a hurricane. Anyway it didn't take long for it to fizzle and it fizzled fast. I went there a total of 3 times, and realized I'll maybe live 8 more months if I continued eating there. Apparently many people thought the same. Well today it is boxed up and closed down.

Some TV talking head analyst compared KK to Starbucks. While getting a cup or two of coffee from Starbucks is okay, going to KK every day would be bad

Old 06-30-2006, 03:01 PM

693 posts, read 2,761,051 times
Well I have to confess I went to DUNKIN DONUTS today hahaha. I had a delicious Coffee Collata and a sesame bagel yum. I'm open to try the local coffee shops but I won't give up on my DD completely
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point