Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 10:04 AM

109 posts, read 389,302 times

Advertisements

If you would be interested in renting a loft downtown check out these places.

www.winstonfactorylofts.com

www.thegalleryliving.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 10:25 AM

881 posts, read 2,254,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
^True, and I didn't mean to hijack the thread. Just wanted to point out that the 'burbs are viable options for many. I don't consider it "boring" at all, but maybe that's just me.
Not sure if boring is the word I would use but when someone is living in a large city and they like it then I'm not going to recommend Clemmons. I'm not saying a horrible place but let's keep in mind what the person is looking for.

depends on where but the people I know in Clemmons it certainly takes them longer than 10 minutes to get downtown. If you live near one of the main highway exits I'm sure it's different.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:56 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
Yeah, but at the same time, the OP is coming from a large, lively city. We shouldn't mislead them that downtown Winston is anywhere close to being as lively as a large city...it isn't. That's not a bad thing IMO, but the OP would probably find it boring as well, at least compared to where they're coming from. So, if they're going to be bored either way, then perhaps we should give them some perspective on all the living options in this area.

Don't mean to be argumentative...each to his own, you know.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:29 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elm&McGee View Post
What do you mean lack of a drug store. There is a CVS on the corner of 4th and Trade.
There used to be a CVS downtown but it closed several years ago. Did another one open up?

Old 04-21-2009, 01:43 PM

3 posts, read 5,112 times
I think downtown and some of the fringe neighborhood already mentioned can meet a lot of what you are looking for. Several places you can easily walk to, lots of events go on such as the Art Gallery Hop, often times there are free concerts outside late spring through early fall, the Stevens Center puts on many concerts/plays etc. It’s very easy to find apartment that isn’t your typical “big box” complex. There are lots of sidewalks so I often see people walking/jogging around the area. There a few different parks as well. Also since your husband will be working at the hospital there are advantages to living nearby and not having to use the highways.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:46 PM

3 posts, read 5,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
There used to be a CVS downtown but it closed several years ago. Did another one open up?
Yeah there has been a CVS there for at least 2 years perhaps longer and I just didn't notice

Old 04-21-2009, 01:54 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballNut0709 View Post
Yeah there has been a CVS there for at least 2 years perhaps longer and I just didn't notice
Oops! Me neither. When I started telecommuting, instead of working in an office downtown, I lost track of some of these developments.

Speaking of which, when does the new downtown baseball stadium open? I'm surprised no one's mentioned that as a new downtown amenity.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:04 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
^ Stadium is expected to open in mid-June. The team just announced that they will play at Ernie Shore Field until June 17.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Yes, I go once a week. It is on 4th Street and I am not aware of it ever closing.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:04 PM

Check out this link. It kind of gives you an idea of the urban Fabric of downtown Winston-Salem.

Winston-Salem Development News - Page 15 - SkyscraperCity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point