Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 5,265 times

Advertisements

may be moving from Europe to Greensboro with 2 kids aged 3 and 5, looking for advice on good areas to live and a good kindergarten/ elementary school. Also any general advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 04:37 PM

36 posts, read 74,175 times
Do you have to be near Greensboro?? We are getting tons of advice and guidance to live in Clemmons or Lewisville which is a bit further from grnsboro and closer to WSalem. Both great cities by the way! But these towns are apparantly very family friendly with great schools.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:37 AM

138 posts, read 418,828 times
Jacqui, can you be more specific as to what you are looking for? On the general issue of schools, I'd avoid High Point entirely for public elementary schools. I've heard good things about Oak ridge Elementary in Greensboro, as well I've looked at Immaculate Heart of Mary which appears to be a very good private school. Good luck with your move.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:01 PM

22 posts, read 85,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwolfe8229 View Post
Jacqui, can you be more specific as to what you are looking for? On the general issue of schools, I'd avoid High Point entirely for public elementary schools. I've heard good things about Oak ridge Elementary in Greensboro, as well I've looked at Immaculate Heart of Mary which appears to be a very good private school. Good luck with your move.
Our kids attend Southwest Elementary in High Point, and we love the school. We moved from Michigan where our kids attended Catholic school. We thought it would be a breeze for them moving into public school down here. We were AMAZED at the amount and level of work they did at Southwest. We have had nothing but positive experiences there. And the area around Skeet Club and Eastchester is just great, too. I know so many people want to deride High Point, but we love it in that particular area. And I commute to downtown Greensboro, and it's a very easy commute.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 5,265 times
Thanks, to be honest I don't know too much about schooling in US and what to expect, also daycare for my 3 year old. In terms of neighbourhoods, where we are just now they can go out and ride their bikes as there's little traffic and it's a very family friendly environment with quite a few kids their own age to play with.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:34 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,856,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyc's View Post
Do you have to be near Greensboro?? We are getting tons of advice and guidance to live in Clemmons or Lewisville which is a bit further from grnsboro and closer to WSalem. Both great cities by the way! But these towns are apparantly very family friendly with great schools.
Hummmmm, so is Mebane.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:53 AM

525 posts, read 2,122,828 times
Keep in mind that the better the school district, the higher the prices because those areas are in demand. There are tons of neighborhoods in the area that would work for you, so it will depend on the kind of house you want. Western Guilford, Southwest Guilford, Page, Grimsley, Northwest, Northern... these are just the ones in Guilford county.
Check your school report cards here- NC School Report Cards
Older neighborhood with sidewalks close to parks and such? Or newer home wit more land? It will all depend on what you want in a home and neighborhood where you will be.
Good luck!

Old 06-20-2009, 10:40 PM

4 posts, read 9,572 times
Avoid the entire east side of Greensboro, North west is the best area in my opinion, the 27409 27410 area codes

Old 01-19-2010, 08:17 AM

2 posts, read 4,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCandy View Post
Avoid the entire east side of Greensboro, North west is the best area in my opinion, the 27409 27410 area codes
What about college in greensboro? I was thinking about going to North Carolina A&T... I believe the area code is 27411, I suppoose this would be at least a decent area as well?

Old 01-19-2010, 12:12 PM

628 posts, read 2,069,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghotshot09 View Post
What about college in greensboro? I was thinking about going to North Carolina A&T... I believe the area code is 27411, I suppoose this would be at least a decent area as well?
Here is the greensboro crime maps (http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/departments/Police/Statistics/crimemaps.htm - broken link), A&T is on the east side of the city. Looking at the map, you see there are good and bad areas everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point