Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 04:41 AM

5 posts, read 20,484 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I know this is probably a stupid question but I read one lady that just ranted on and on about the snakes being everyplace. Is this true? I am terrified of snakes and while we do have many in Michigan, it is years inbetween when I see one. Are they just in the wooded areas, or can they get in your house? Is there any way to avoid them? Thanks so much for you answers and suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 07:18 AM

109 posts, read 389,302 times
Are you asking about snakes in the city of winston-salem or in the county or rural area around winston-salem. I have never seen a snake in the city of winston-salem, but I am sure that the rural less populated areas have snakes.

We are not a snake den my no means.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:55 AM

138 posts, read 419,050 times
They're really not that bad around here. I live in a suburban development in High Point, with woods just beyond my backyard... I see maybe one or two snakes a year, and I spend a lot of time outside. Usually I see small black snakes (harmless), once I saw a slightly larger corn snake (also harmless). They are really nothing to worry about, be aware of them, yes, and be cautious when you see them, but don't worry about it. The chance to even see one is not that high, the chance it is dangerous is pretty low, and the chance it is dangerous and you get bit is very unlikely.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:39 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,307,014 times
Yes, you'll find snakes inside the city limits of W-S. They like pine needle mulch and heavily cover areas around shrubs. Oftentimes snakes are run out of the habitat by construction, however they are also brought in to the area in bales of pine needles, etc. Black snakes (black racers) are common...and so are garner snakes and copperheads. Black snakes like to climb trees - so don't just look on the ground.

snake by shed

Old 06-16-2009, 05:59 PM

5 posts, read 20,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
Yes, you'll find snakes inside the city limits of W-S. They like pine needle mulch and heavily cover areas around shrubs. Oftentimes snakes are run out of the habitat by construction, however they are also brought in to the area in bales of pine needles, etc. Black snakes (black racers) are common...and so are garner snakes and copperheads. Black snakes like to climb trees - so don't just look on the ground.

snake by shed
So I would assume we use cedar mulch instead. I don't see it much used down there, is there a reason why? I so completely hate snakes....

Old 06-18-2009, 05:23 PM

11 posts, read 39,149 times
I live in winston/pfafftown and there have been quite a few more snakes out this year in my opinion. I spend a lot of time outside and have seen a few, just leave them alone and they don't mess with you. If you see a snake, do not try to grab it, even if it isn't poisonous it could cause infection if it bites (like any critter).
As a means of keeping them away, use lime pellets. Put them around your house, garden, whatever. Somehow the lime gets underneath the scale and bothers the snakes skin, so they leave, this works very well.
Just be sure to use the lime pellets (not the powder).

Old 06-18-2009, 05:46 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Twenty years ago, I owned a home in Ardmore next to Lockland Park near WFU Baptisit Hospital. I was mowing my teeny back yard and ran over a small copperhead. Turned out there was a nest of babies. EEEEEEEKKKKKKK!!!!!! Like some of you, I am petrified of snakes, even the "good" ones. Anyway, my to-be-husband took care of them with a shovel. Haven't seen any since, but I've lived in townhomes ever since.

In general, I wouldn't say that snakes are any more prevalent in W-S or NC than most other places in the South.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:18 AM

18 posts, read 77,150 times
Exclamation Be aware, especially while gardening, and safeguard pets!

Yes, my cousin Donna who lives in W-S (on Main Street) relayed a true story several weeks ago in which the family dog, Jipper, was bitten by a copperhead. Multiple bites.

Needless to say, this called for an emergency vet visit. Anti-venom was administered, and the dog fully recovered. But things were nip & tuck for awhile! (That dog keeps on going -- just like the Energizer Bunny -- in spite of having epilepsy and serious food allergies!)

Husband Willy took care of the snake, which is now in snake heaven, I presume.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:11 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Hummmmm, I live out in the woods. When I first moved it I went to the neighbors and asked that, when they see a black snake, don't harm it, call me. I rescued 8 or 9 of them and put them out at spots around our yard, mostly around the blackberry patches. All I see are black snakes, black snakes eat poisonous snakes, mice, birds, small children, young elephants----whatever they can get. Humans are too large.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:53 PM

222 posts, read 936,448 times
Unlike pookie, I haven't seen a snake one this year and I live next to the woods and a creek! Several years ago during a summer of drought, we saw them in the yard all the time. Our children were probably 7-9 yrs old, outside playing all the time and we told them if they saw one to not bother it and come tell us. They were all black snakes and we let them be. Now if a baby snake happened to make it into the basement, the cat's would tell us and we would kill those baby snakes. A bit freaky to hear, I'm sure, but really no big deal.

Now I'll probably see them in the yard like crazy next week since I said I haven't seen any this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point