Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 06:02 PM

273 posts, read 952,154 times

Advertisements

So, for arguments sake, if they were to completely make smoking illegal, that would be fine, since they don't allow certain drugs, chemicals, etc in food? Personally, I don't care for smoking, and while it was part of this country's and state's history, the tobacco companies have killed the industry for themselves. If they were to have kept it natural and not added so much crap into them, they may not be where they are or where they are going. I personally would rather be behind a diesel truck than someone who is smoking with the window down. I HATE government intervention, but smoke from cigarettes is one of the most difficult things to avoid and get rid of. I agree that you can talk with your money, but like the poster asked, WHERE is a smoke free pool hall. You're probably more likely to get struck by a car on the way to the pool hall, than find a smoke free one. In a few years this won't even be a discussion hopefully. That all being said, I think that they should legalize marijuana and other drugs...but that's another topic :^)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 11:09 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,896,554 times
I don't smoke, but I also do not have a problem with businesses that allow smoking. I don't have to give them my business. I do not believe it is the responsibility of government to decide that no business should allow smoking on its' property. If people will patronize a bar that allows smoking, I say, "let it be what it is" smokers should have places to go that don't ostracize them. Because a smoker has a bad habit does not mean they should be excluded from their normal activities, or have their activities hampered to suit someone elses lifestyle. Establishments that allow smoking should be clearly marked, as should those that do not allow smoking, and let the public decide, not legislators.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:31 PM

799 posts, read 3,232,710 times
Well, for me I am nowadays for smoke-free because I quit smoking and I still "weaken" from time to time. It's the beer, vodka, cigars and surroundings that get me smoking again. If it's not there, I am just not tempted.

Then again, sometimes when I do go to the regular pool halls, I come away kinda wheezy. Makes me wonder if my lungs will ever fully recover. (please, no one respond to that, I'd like to have hope!!)

So...I sure don't need hand holding either, but I'd like to, you know, at least HAVE THE CHOICE right?? LOL!! :O

Old 07-13-2009, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,474 times
to get this back on topic, Fox & Hound in the Thruway Shopping center have 6 tables in their non-smoking side of the restaurant. They also offer free pool during lunch! Fox & Hound 367 Lower Mall Dr Winston Salem, NC 27103-1842 (336) 722-6000

Old 07-13-2009, 12:26 PM

254 posts, read 927,459 times
There is no section in Fox & Hound that is "smoke-free". It has sections that are "smoking-free", but that entire place is permanently filled with a dense fog of smoke. I can't spend more than a few seconds in there without rushing for the exit and gasping for the air outside that's only 80% life threatening.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:44 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,896,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderweis View Post
to get this back on topic, Fox & Hound in the Thruway Shopping center have 6 tables in their non-smoking side of the restaurant. They also offer free pool during lunch! Fox & Hound 367 Lower Mall Dr Winston Salem, NC 27103-1842 (336) 722-6000
A no-smoking side of a bar that has a "smoking" side also, is kinda like a "no-peeing" side of a swimming pool.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:57 AM

12,572 posts, read 15,600,872 times
To put it a different way; to have the government tell a business they have to be smoke free is to tell the car buying public what kind of vehicle they can purchase.
Yes, vehicle emissions will be more stringent in the coming years, but bear in mind this will be a direct result of increased fuel efficiency. You will still be able to buy that Gigantasaurus suv, just that it will get better MPG than previous models. The point is you will still be able to buy it.

The problem with this (smoking) witch hunt is the propaganda involved. Oh, sure the government, health care, & anti-smoking groups are all too happy & willing to provide the grim stats on the lives smoking ruined, but that is only one side of the story. What they are not about to tell you is how granny smoked two packs a day (starting at the age of 20), started her day with a shot of Jack and until the day she died, at 103, walked to the market everyday to get her own groceries. What they are not going to tell you is that if you smoke for 50 years and get emphysema is that you smoked for 50 years and now you are in your 60s and you probably only had another 10-20 years left anyway. If the average life expectancy were 120 years, I might be able to see where this would be upsetting.

The bottom line is this should be about legitimate, informed choices and when you excercise freedom you have to take the bad with the good.

Last edited by WFW&P; 07-18-2009 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: added text, spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point