Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 07:23 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,715,495 times

Advertisements

I live in Thomasville (am the last Thomasville address on my road then my neighbor starts w/ Winston-Salem). I live in a mobile home and we have hills, as you know.

Used MagicJack for almost a year but the service is getting crappy and won't renew. I want to go cellular but Verizon and Virgin do not pick up in my home (low signal strength).

Wanting to purchase a phone, how do I know what I'm gonna get, as in signal strength in my location?

What cellular carriers are here besides Verizon and Virgin?

T-mobile
Alltel

what else?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 07:43 AM

273 posts, read 950,338 times
I live in southern Forsyth Cty, and am at the bottom of a small hill with lots of trees around. I've had Verizon and Sprint at my home and could not get a signal to save my life. I don't know if it's the frequency they use(CDMA as opposed to GSM for Att & TMO) or what, but both were horrible. I've had At&t for the past 5 years as a personal phone and 2 years here and always have full coverage. They definitely are not the cheapest out there, but the quality is good. You could try T-mobile, but really it just matters where the closest towers are. There is also Boost Mobile which works on Sprints network and Cricket which works on Verizon/Sprint network that don't have contracts and are cheaper, but the service area is smaller. I would suggest find the plan and the phone you want and sign up, if you get it home and see you don't have any service, turn around and return it. I think Best Buy is probably the best reseller for cell plans, they carry everyone and you don't have to deal with mail in rebates on phones with them.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:29 PM

291 posts, read 2,075,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
What cellular carriers are here besides Verizon and Virgin?
Virgin uses the Sprint network. There should be several other possibilities. First, check the coverage of the major carriers. At the Coverage Finder, you can open the coverage locator of each of the major carriers, enter your Zip Code, and compare their claimed coverage on the same screen.

If that fails, check the North Carolina Cellular Reviews to see who else serves the state. You will find links to those carriers and their coverage. My bet is Alltel has your greatest potential.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:51 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,981 times
Don't know about your area, sorry, but sometimes the phone can be the problem if it is older. And nowadays that could mean just a year.

My Dad had a house in Tampa. My daughter had Verizon-no problem calling in the house. One sister-AT&T-no problem. The other sister Sprint-no problem. I had Sprint too but couldn't get a signal in that house to save my life. So I asked my techie son and he said yes tower placement, area of service and so on but also it could depend on the phone. The others all had fairly new phones and mine was almost two years old and a cheaper type. When I got a new phone, still was on Sprint, didn't have one problem at his house.

Might not help here but I did think it was interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point