Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 06:22 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,840,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
So if I want a 30 foot light in my backyard, I can call Duke Energy and have one installed? Who pays for that? The homeowner?
yup, had one installed at the lakehouse I used to live at because otherwise you couldn't see anything at night(it was in the woods, no neighbors)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcav View Post
you got it. they own it but you pay around $20 a month plus a fee per kwatt i believe.
I totally understand how this could be a problem for you, i just don't think it should be a law, have you asked the neighbors about installing a shield? maybe if you offered to take care of the cost( i'm sure you'd rather not do that, but if it bothered you that much...)??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 06:26 PM

33 posts, read 73,505 times
in the woods is different, no neighbors is different. but when you have to wear sun glasses sitting in your hot tub or on the patio wanting to enjoy a glass of wine with your spouse is ridiculous.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:41 PM

Actually noodles I have done just that. Even to come out of pocket. And guess what? a sodium vapor light on a 30ft pole just feet off my line even with a shield does no good. And if it did what happens when a neighbor willing to negotiate moves? The next guy comes along and takes it off or puts up a second one and yer back to square one.....

Old 07-13-2010, 06:44 PM

Default CKeegan Where Are You?

Hello Ckeegan,

thanks for replying to my post. even though you found it necessary for personal diggs by calling me a whiner and stated I needed to act "grown up".

In my response to your post I asked you a question being that you are a real estate agent and I have not heard a response to it so I will ask again:

If you were showing my property to a potential buyer in the evening and they saw the backyard, pool, hot tub and patio area lit up like a parking lot by mercury/sodium vapor lights and also blaring into every window would this decrease my property value? or potentially deter potential buyers? Be honest now.....

Also, I am the furthest thing from a whiner I can assure you and as an infantry veteran I have been "grown up" a lot longer than you will ever know. not puffing out my chest, just stating a fact.

Oh yeah, and when your neighbor walks his mutt and his flood kicks on and shines in your master it eventually goes off doesn't it? Yeah I thought so....

Old 07-13-2010, 07:05 PM

207 posts, read 555,840 times
I know in some states that if you choose to alter your property your neighbors are informed and a meeting is held at the town hall for anyone who may have a grievance. I would think the biggest reason for this would be to insure that your enjoyment of your property and your property value would not be effected in any way. So I can understand where the OP is coming from--I would not buy a property that had a flood light on all night (just a nuisence I wouldn't want to deal with).

Either way, no matter what your opinion is on the matter, I don't feel that name-calling or belittling is necessary--its just not nice

Old 07-14-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Actually noodles I have done just that. Even to come out of pocket. And guess what? a sodium vapor light on a 30ft pole just feet off my line even with a shield does no good. And if it did what happens when a neighbor willing to negotiate moves? The next guy comes along and takes it off or puts up a second one and yer back to square one.....
so you did that and they said no? I have no idea what a shield would look like or cost but I have to believe it would help, if only a little. and I can't imagine why someone would feel the need to take the shield down, what are they using the light for anyway? those things are ugly as sin, can't imagine wanting one in a suburban area, we had it to illuminate a long driveway at our home.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:02 AM

hello noodles,

i did have one shielded since the photos. it knocked down some glare but still spills over quite a bit. and you never know what the next owner may do or why. for all i know duke power may come out and remove just because.... one side is using it to light up their inground pool. which is currently green due to lack of proper care by the way. the other is lighting up their carport which already has motion lights. i think that one is just paranoid for some reason. but anyway, i will see where i can get with this. i want to keep it fair for those on both sides of the issue while making sure property appeal and values are maintained. some folks don't even realize they are killing their own property's value and appeal and their neighbors as well.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
hello noodles,

i did have one shielded since the photos. it knocked down some glare but still spills over quite a bit. and you never know what the next owner may do or why. for all i know duke power may come out and remove just because.... one side is using it to light up their inground pool. which is currently green due to lack of proper care by the way. the other is lighting up their carport which already has motion lights. i think that one is just paranoid for some reason. but anyway, i will see where i can get with this. i want to keep it fair for those on both sides of the issue while making sure property appeal and values are maintained. some folks don't even realize they are killing their own property's value and appeal and their neighbors as well.
oh so you actually have them on both sides of you? wow, what a pain. well I wish I had some good advice, but i'm all out. I hope you can can find some sort of compromise where you get what you are looking for, good luck to you!

Old 07-14-2010, 09:17 AM

Knoodles,

exactly! there are two. one on the right line and one on the back. the glare is tremendous and the light coverage on the ground overlap each other because they are in such close proximity and 30ft in the air. if you look at the photos the one in back you can see another one glaring like the sun even 3 yards away.... good times...

Old 07-17-2010, 05:35 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,761,559 times
Quote:
This will include nuisance neighbors flood lights, security lights, etc. shining in windows, illuminating your back yards, patios, as well as the Duke Power "Suburban Yard Lights" on 30ft utility poles.
Are you my neighbor over on Lakeview Terrace? Lakeview Terrace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area