Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 02:25 PM

53 posts, read 232,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurx View Post
A big "Welcome to Greenville" movingtoscsoon! Consider yourself a good fit. And keep contributing to the Forum once you're here, and watch your reputation grow (and possibly pass that of gsupstate!). Your term "niche" may have kicked off a fervor and needn't have, but its probably a little strong in the exclusiveness it implies. I think what you will find is the "segment" you will find you belong to will be quite large (more than 50% of the population?), mostly professionals and also non-natives. In my experience, nation-wide, this segment tends to rarely, and then only very carefully, discuss religion, politics, and race, and considers differences in these areas to be a normal, acceptable situation. Greenville is no exception.

Unlike one or two others, I don't really consider it necessary to live close to the center of Greenville to find your comfort zone. I believe if you find a neighborhood or development that looks to be comfortable and suitable then it probably will be. No matter the community, its probably more important to interview your two next-door neighbors than to know the demographics of the neighborhood, but remember that City Data is more than a forum, its a fantastic resource for tons of towns across the nation. Just pick a zip code and plug it in:

//www.city-data.com/

And more detailed demographics are available from most any Realtor. Definitely dare to look around the greater Greenville area for a home! Or rent for a year and learn way more about what area to select.

Best of luck.
I haven't been on the board since my last post, I didn't realize this tread got so long...

Thanks for the advice thurx, that's exactly the information I was looking for! Regarding looking outside of the downtown area for housing, I will definitely take up your advice--although it would be nice to live in downtown, in my research this past week I've learned you seem to get more bang for your buck if you rent/own in the outlying areas. If we do move to Greenville, I think we will rent for a year and then decide on whether to purchase a home or not. I'm a bit reluctant to buy though, since if we had to move with all the properties available I am not sure we would be able to sell (unless there is a sudden burst of job growth in the area). So we'll likely take it slow and see what happens.

I apologize if my original post offended anyone, I truly did not intend it to. I realize these issues (talking about politics/religion/ideology) tend to strike a nerve with people--especially when discussed over the 'net--so thanks everyone for their patience. After having done more research I see that Greenville is a lovely place to live and I would be proud to be a member of it. Also, housing is so cheap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 01:48 PM

137 posts, read 396,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoscsoon View Post
I've learned you seem to get more bang for your buck if you rent/own in the outlying areas.
Yes, Greenville City taxes are higher than county taxes, for one thing. If you rent at the start, you'll have a chance to study all this.

Good point about trying to resell in a flooded, depressed market!

Good luck.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:19 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,101,409 times
angela merkel multiculturalism - Yahoo! Search Results

Pick any article that pops up. German Chancellor Angela Merkel succinctly pointed it out when she declared that multi-culturalism is a failure. Naturally she's correct, as shown not only in her country, but in our own nation.

It's time to embrace each other & stop this self-ostracizing & self-segregation that we appear to do to ourselves in our search for diversity, inclusion & tolerance. Meanwhile, Rome is burning....

Old 10-19-2011, 11:33 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
Probably "stuffed the ballot box" again...

Greenville metropolitan area one of the least segregated in the South - The Business Blog

Old 10-19-2011, 12:17 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Per that info, not just the least segregated in the South, but in the top 10 in the nation.

Funny, almost all of the most segregated cities are cities in Northern states.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:38 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Per that info, not just the least segregated in the South, but in the top 10 in the nation.

I agree. As an added side note, I've noticed black and white people chatting together here in Spartanburg/Inman. In Ohio, we were more segregated, and didn't just randomly strike up conversations with strangers in general (of any ethnicity).

Old 10-20-2011, 06:44 AM

477 posts, read 841,203 times
Quote:

Would be important to know how the determined their ranking. Without that, it's kinda meaningless.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:56 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto7SC View Post
Would be important to know how the determined their ranking. Without that, it's kinda meaningless.
Did you read the link?

It clearly states:
Greenville-Mauldin-Easley is sixth in the list of top 10 among the U.S. metropolitan areas with the lowest black-white residential segregation levels, according to analysis of 2010 U.S. Census results by the Population Reference Bureau (PRB).

Pretty self explanatory......since the U.S. Census asks your address and then asks if you are white, black, Asian, etc. Pretty easy to analyze who lives in what neighborhood.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:16 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Back on the OP, are people open minded or set in their own ways? This is something that I keep seeing come up.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:35 AM

477 posts, read 841,203 times
Quote:
Did you read the link?

It clearly states:
Greenville-Mauldin-Easley is sixth in the list of top 10 among the U.S. metropolitan areas with the lowest black-white residential segregation levels, according to analysis of 2010 U.S. Census results by the Population Reference Bureau (PRB).

Pretty self explanatory......since the U.S. Census asks your address and then asks if you are white, black, Asian, etc. Pretty easy to analyze who lives in what neighborhood.

Ok, got it. Would even have worked without the arrogant smiley. Well, as nice as it is for Greenville, I think it still is meaningless to compare a city like Greenville to cities like Detroit, New York, Chicago, Cleveland, Philly, and L.A., where you had the white flight phenomenon because of violence and crime on a scale, that Greenville doesn't even come close to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area