Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 10:41 AM

53 posts, read 232,233 times

Advertisements

My husband may be getting a job in the Greenville area soon, and I am interested in any feedback regarding the level of diversity and the political culture in Greenville. My husband is European and I am a minority American and we are concerned that we may not fit in, particularly because we are more liberal, big city folk. While we see ourselves as tolerant of conservative and other political ideologies (I grew up in the South and have many family members that lean right) we are afraid South Carolina may have an above average number of close-minded type of conservatives that may not be as accepting of people that think differently. Forgive me for my ignorance and invoking stereotypes, I just don't know that much about South Carolina and am concerned we may not be happy there.

Are there any niches for people like my husband and I in Greenville? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 11:16 AM

73 posts, read 131,926 times
When you say diverse, we don't jail people on sodomy charges anymore, will that work for you?

Old 10-14-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheist SC View Post
When you say diverse, we don't jail people on sodomy charges anymore, will that work for you?
My question is about diversity, i.e. difference, unlikeness, variety. Your reply is some vague reference about not criminalizing a certain type of behavior deemed by some group to be bad/wrong/unethical. So, um, no I guess that (meaning your response) won't work for me.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:17 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,962 times
Please put aside your stereotypes - Greenville (for the most part) is diverse - the North America headquarters for BMW and Michelin are located here - lots of French and German - my daughter plays soccer at the local Y with a bilingual girl (from France) - I also recall being at Heritage Park in Simpsonville recently and overhead several families speaking German.

Take a trip to downtown Greenville and count how many languages you hear - it's quite surprising. By the way, have you and your husband visited downtown Greenville?

Old 10-14-2010, 03:00 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,857,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoscsoon View Post
My husband may be getting a job in the Greenville area soon, and I am interested in any feedback regarding the level of diversity and the political culture in Greenville. My husband is European and I am a minority American and we are concerned that we may not fit in, particularly because we are more liberal, big city folk. While we see ourselves as tolerant of conservative and other political ideologies (I grew up in the South and have many family members that lean right) we are afraid South Carolina may have an above average number of close-minded type of conservatives that may not be as accepting of people that think differently. Forgive me for my ignorance and invoking stereotypes, I just don't know that much about South Carolina and am concerned we may not be happy there.

Are there any niches for people like my husband and I in Greenville? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
In addition to stereotyping, you ask about "niches"? Why would an open minded person be looking for a "niche"? Finding a "niche" is not open minded or tolerant.....open minded and tolerant people tend to like ALL points of view and operate outside of "niches".

As a gay men, my partner and I moved to Greenville and absolutely love it. Have friends of every color, race, religion, straight, gay, European, Asian, Hispanic, etc, etc.

From reading your initial post, IMO, Greenville may be TOO tolerant for you.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
In addition to stereotyping, you ask about "niches"? Why would an open minded person be looking for a "niche"? Finding a "niche" is not open minded or tolerant.....open minded and tolerant people tend to like ALL points of view and operate outside of "niches".
Open-minded people like all points of view? This is the most relativistic BS I've ever heard in my life! No one likes all points of view. Everyone makes distinctions, has standards, and makes judgments whether you admit to it or not. I would prefer that my daughter not grow up to become a prostitute or racist and I will raise her accordingly. Does that mean I'm close-minded against people in the KKK? The reality is I am; a certain degree of close-mindedness is the reality of life. The type of "close-mindedness" that I was referring to was one where I would be shunned simply because of my black skin and my husband's foreign accent, or because we do not go to church every Sunday.

I grew up in a very racist part of the South and I do not want to live that experience again. Those places DO exist, regardless of whether you want to admit it or not. I was simply asking if Greenville is one of those places. It is good to know that it is not.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
Please put aside your stereotypes - Greenville (for the most part) is diverse - the North America headquarters for BMW and Michelin are located here - lots of French and German - my daughter plays soccer at the local Y with a bilingual girl (from France) - I also recall being at Heritage Park in Simpsonville recently and overhead several families speaking German.

Take a trip to downtown Greenville and count how many languages you hear - it's quite surprising. By the way, have you and your husband visited downtown Greenville?
Thank you for your input, I appreciate your sincere response. I have not visited Greenville yet and look forward to a future visit.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:18 PM

411 posts, read 853,139 times
Calm down folks! Geez. She just wants to know if South Carolina is full of yokels, which is a pretty fair assumption given that we're constantly in the press for stupid people doing stupid things. And she meant niche as in will they be able to assimilate....which is a fair question.

Short of moving to Charleston, Greenville is next best option. It's the Charleston of the Upstate, and I figure that Charleston is the most European-flavored city in the south (short of New Orleans).

To answer your question, the Upstate is generally conservative, but if you're tolerant, then you will be tolerated in return. That's better than it sounds! :-) We do have a strong German, French, and Latino community in the Upstate, so I'm sure you guys will find somewhere to fit in.

Good luck with your move!

Old 10-14-2010, 03:27 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,857,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoscsoon View Post
Open-minded people like all points of view? This is the most relativistic BS I've ever heard in my life! No one likes all points of view. Everyone makes distinctions, has standards, and makes judgments whether you admit to it or not. I would prefer that my daughter not grow up to become a prostitute or racist and I will raise her accordingly. Does that mean I'm close-minded against people in the KKK? The reality is I am; a certain degree of close-mindedness is the reality of life. The type of "close-mindedness" that I was referring to was one where I would be shunned simply because of my black skin and my husband's foreign accent, or because we do not go to church every Sunday.

I grew up in a very racist part of the South and I do not want to live that experience again. Those places DO exist, regardless of whether you want to admit it or not. I was simply asking if Greenville is one of those places. It is good to know that it is not.
Not sure you would be happy in Greenville. You may want to look elsewhere. Check out Columbia.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Not sure you would be happy in Greenville. You may want to look elsewhere. Check out Columbia.
To the contrary, I've been reading other threads from the citizens of Greenville that lead me to believe I'd like it very much. So, no, I think I will not take your advice but will check out Greenville. But, since you are an open-minded person that likes every point of view, I take it you agree with my decision, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area