Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 01:32 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,851,182 times

Advertisements

Well GCS got called off today (monday), they called off Tuesday around 1 pm Monday. There is a teacher workday on friday so no school technically. with that being said and what i'm hearing from the weather people with the temperature remaining below freezing every night how probably is it that the kiddies get the whole week off???

i've lived down here 7 years now and this is the first real snow fall i've dealt with down here. although the ice storm back in december 2005 was nuts there was no snow. i wanna say GCS called off for 2 or 3 days for that thing but that was right before christmas break.

i was watching the news saturday morning and they said that GCS were off for a week and a half back in 1988 due to a huge snow storm, something like 12 inches. grant it this is no 12 inches, but one has to wonder if whats outside is enough to keep em home for a whole week.

any predictions people???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 04:13 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,554,925 times
Wish they would
For many of these kids it will be the biggest snowfall of their time as a child (when playing in the snow is most fun)
Granted, many are probably just playing video games.
Mornings will be tough commute all week, Friday is already a teacher workday and Monday a holiday
Just add a week to the end of the school year (instead of taking spring break away)

Old 01-11-2011, 06:21 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Just add a week to the end of the school year (instead of taking spring break away)
Good idea. That's what they used to do back in the day.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:19 PM

301 posts, read 804,524 times
Well, in my neighborhood, things were much worse today (Tuesday) than yesterday (Monday).

If temperatures stay below freezing, which they're supposed to until Saturday, I see school being closed for the rest of the week.

And I distinctly remember 10 inches of snow seven years ago. I don't think it was during a school time though. I remember it because I was sick. =( And it melted off pretty quickly as well.

This stuff hasn't melted. It's turned to ice. I went and swept all the snow from on top of my car, and there was an entire sheet of ice and the hood just sitting there on top of the snow. It was pretty thick too.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:02 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,851,182 times
with school being called off for Wednesday very early today IMO I wouldn't be surprised if Thursday was called off as well.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:29 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
I also think they will call off Thursday. The roads in neighborhoods are just too bad still. You can't have kids standing on the corner of a road as cars slide by them. Plus of course the buses don't do well on ice.

Plus since conditions in northern Greenville county are probably worse than southern Greenville, I don't see school happening on Thursday.

As far as make-up is concerned, we already know April 1 and 4, plus a day in June. There are still two more and I forsee the state board waiving a day or two to save $$$.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:52 PM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Due to inclement weather all GCS schools and offices are closed on Thursday, January 13.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area