Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 06:23 PM

119 posts, read 565,291 times

Advertisements

Well, we did it! We put a contract on a house on the border of Fountain Inn and Simpsonville this past Saturday.

I have my socks on because my feet have gotten cold with second thoughts. I would love it if someone could help me with a couple of questions:

Does anyone know of any good walking trails in the area. I love to walk my dog in the a.m. and just cannot imagine doing that in a development.

What is up with the lack of cable access in the area? We were shocked when we were told that the development does not have cable! We both work from home and rely on high speed internet access and have Vontage phone numbers. I know there must be a story about this issue.

I know that road biking is a huge sport in the Greenville area, but what about the Fountain Inn area. I did notice this weekend the lack of shoulders on the roads. Are the drivers willing to share the road with a road bike?

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 07:00 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,008,254 times
It sounds like you are moving into my neighborhood, as we have no cable either. Evidently the cable company does not want to put in cable until the neighborhood is completed. We now have satelite tv and dsl through the phone company. We have been happy with both.

I do walk my dog in my neighborhood. It really is a nice way to meet the neighbors.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:43 PM

234 posts, read 1,271,265 times
Hey Tupperpatr !!! we can have an ole VTer convention in Fountain Inn. Thats where our vaction house is too!!! LOL.
You act pretty fast, I remember just a couple of months ago, I was replying to your post saying how us New Englanders get stuck in a rut and go for it!. Boy oh Boy, no moss grew under your feet!!
It is a nice quiet little town, with the Simpsonsville shopping 5 minutes up the road. Have you checked out the library in FI yet? very nice. Try Sammies for some real SC fried chicken -- it is out past the Golf Cart Dealership you can see from I385. Reedy Park in Greenville with a Starbucks is our favorite pastime! We REALLY like the area!

I have seen plenty of bikes on Scuffletown road -- seems like it OK. Not sure where you can go hiking with the dog, maybe call the FI townhall.

How has the weather been down there, has it been like a really hot August day in VT? But just a lot more of them? We were down in end of June, and it was just beautiful, sun, sun and more sun. We will be back down in Oct. once the leaves drop up here in NE.

When do you close and finally move?

Well good to hear you made it, ENJOY!!!

Old 07-24-2007, 08:19 PM

Jac - We are planning to build in South Brook. Is that where you are?

I was worried about my dog trying to mark his territory in the entire development. With the effort everyone puts into their lawns I was not sure that would make me many new friends. I do carry that famous "pooper scooper" at all times! I am eager to meet the neighbors and agree a dog is a great conversation starter.

I am hoping when the development is finished the cable will get put in. Glad to hear that you have no issues with the Dish network and dsl.

Any hints on how to make the building process go smoothly and things to watch out for? We custom built our current home so we are experienced at the process. However, there is a different level of control between the custom build and this I think.

Leggo - Thanks for remembering me. Moss grow under my feet, not a chance, I think my husband has been packing since our last child graduated from high school last year. He is soooooooo excited about the thought of golfing on his birthday in January! He is also looking forward to those Clemson football games.

Great news about the library. We did pass it on Saturday and I was excited to see it as I love to read. We were down in Greenville just for 5 days this trip and found our new home. We had done a ton of research in the past five months so that did make it easier PLUS we have the secret weapon of a son who is Clemson student who has lots of friends in the area with helpful parents.

I think you must be a long lost cousin - librarys, starbucks and fried chicken - all my favorites! One of our son's friends keeps telling me that I have to give up the Starbucks and "move up" to Carolina Coffee.

Thanks for the referrals. If everything goes according to plan we will move into the new house in December. We should be moving down before that however. Today I began the process of filling out my South Carolina adoption papers. I am looking forward to being able to help other folks with their questions as I learn about the area first hand. All the best.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:22 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,008,254 times
We are going to be neighbors! I think you will like the neighborhood. Everyone is very nice and really happy to be here. What kind of dog do you have? You will find lots of dog lovers around here.

The best advice that I can give you on your build is to check up on things. The subs make mistakes. Keep track of them and let your project manager know when you speak to him (ours called us every week to give us a progress report on construction). You will be amazed at how fast they can build a house.

The chicken at Sam's is great. We also like the pizza at Anthony's (next to Publix on Fairview Road). If you like Starbucks, there is one in Target and one being built in front of Publix. You may also like Barefoot Annie's on Main Street in Simpsonville.

If you have any questions, let me know.
jac

Old 07-27-2007, 09:33 AM

jac -

Thanks for all the great advice. I am glad that my Starbuck addiction will not suffer with the move.

I have passed on to my husband the note about the subs and keeping on top of things. We appreciate your insight.

Our dog is a 11 year old black lab. Glad to hear that it is a dog friendly neighborhood. He does love to socialize with people.

It is going to be fun when they clear the lot - I am a tree hugger and want to save as many trees as we can. I will be bribing them with homemade cookies to save a couple of big ones that are right on that 20' boundary line around the house.

It is a relief to have made the decision and hear from someone who already lives there and is happy. Thanks for the welcome.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:54 PM

Getting ready for the move to Fountain Inn/Southbrook. I would love to hear some ball park numbers on what water/sewer bills run. Also, with as the heat and the drought has there been any restricitions on watering? My husband is curious about how much folks are paying for their DSL/dish network bundle. (isn't interesting he wants to know, but I have to ask )

Our house is sold, but we are waiting for the buyers to sell their house. They visited us tonight. The husband spent an hour fly fishing on our pond and now he is so anxious to move that I think they are going to drop their list price to make things move faster. I love'em because they gave us a full price offer.

As always, thanks for all the help!

Old 09-06-2007, 07:41 PM

234 posts, read 1,271,265 times
good luck in Fountain Inn -- we will be down for a vacation in a couple of weeks. glad we missed the real hot weather. my neighbor down there said his electric bill was 165 for the month, but next month should be higher. Not too bad really -- nothing like what we spend a month from Nov - March for heating!!! Water runs around 35$ -- he did n't say anything about water restrictions. Our development we have our own septic.

glad to hear the house stuff is working out. Full price offer!!! gotta love that!

Leggo

Old 09-07-2007, 08:43 AM

leggo - Thanks for the information. I was a bit scared of how high the bills would go. We just got our first propane bill and the cost went up 40 cents a gallon from last year. OUCH!

Old 12-26-2010, 08:37 PM

32 posts, read 75,014 times
Hey Tupperpatr, how's things three and a half years later? We're also considering a move to your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area