Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 10:18 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,939,339 times

Advertisements

I know things are bad every where, but some places not so much. What is your opinion of the work situation there? My husband is in manufacturing & I'm in clerical(healthcare), I was told by someone in Chattanooga that there's work(blue collar) if you want to work. I've heard people say that in other places also. Do you feel it is the same there? Or is there really no work?
I appreciate your input. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 10:58 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
Regardless of where you reside, you should not be too picky in this weak economy. Get a job—any job—and keep looking for the one you want. Medical jobs are definitely easier to find than most industries. In fact, nursing schools are filled with people hoping to "cash in" on the apparent career security available in the healthcare industry. Engineering, manufacturing (skilled labor), and communications jobs are being added fairly regularly in the Greenville area. Office jobs are also being added as smaller regional banks and corporate offices expand there. If you know someone in the advertising industry, Erwin Penland is always growing and hiring. The reality of today's economic condition is that employment security simply is not guaranteed.

Last edited by Skyliner; 10-03-2011 at 11:08 AM..

Old 10-03-2011, 11:27 AM

477 posts, read 841,303 times
I am looking right now and it seems like you have good chances to make a decent income if you are in engineering.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:34 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,939,339 times
Thanks everyone

Old 10-03-2011, 02:51 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,450,728 times
Manufacturing around here is generally solid, right now. This region, that is the lower Appalachians and over into northern GA and AL has turned into an automotive mecca of sorts for international auto manufacturers. Secondary to that is a lot of aerospace work, which is what we do at the contract manufacturer I work for. Not only are there major companies, here, but there's a sizeable job shop/contract mfr component to the local economy, which adds to the diversity within the economy and gives folks a way to climb the economic ladder, so to speak.

I can't remember right now but I know the German manual transmission company ZF was supposed to open shop somewhere around here, and I think the site might be under construction. Other intenational manufacturers have opened up shop, recently, or are building plants in Greenville, Anderson, and Spartanburg counties. The fact that suppliers like ZF are here indicates a commitment on their part that is permanent and is a huge morale booster, I think. A major paper products company is expanding over in Anderson County, an Italian bus company opened up here recently, and there are major projects currently under way to bring more jobs to the area.

If anyhing, there's a shortage of highly skilled machinists and engineers, here, right now.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:59 PM

131 posts, read 696,662 times
I recently changed jobs in manufacturing and had seven job offers to choose from. Three in quality control/inspection and four in manufacturing operations. The jobs are out there it just depends on your education and experience.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:44 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSKier View Post
I recently changed jobs in manufacturing and had seven job offers to choose from. Three in quality control/inspection and four in manufacturing operations. The jobs are out there it just depends on your education and experience.
Good for you! Do you mind sharing the companies? What kind of education/experience do you need?

Old 10-04-2011, 04:39 AM

131 posts, read 696,662 times
I have a BS in Business Management with 10 years of experience in Quality control/inspecton in a manufactoring environment. Companies were Sunland Distribution, Magna Drive Automotive (both BMW suppliers) Pharmacutical Associates, BMW, First Quality Paper in Anderson, And Bosch Rexroth. Most of these companies require atleast one year of experience in quality control/inspeciton and a stable work history. They all are still actively hiring.

Last edited by SCSKier; 10-04-2011 at 04:47 AM..

Old 10-04-2011, 01:40 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z View Post
I know things are bad every where, but some places not so much. What is your opinion of the work situation there? My husband is in manufacturing & I'm in clerical(healthcare), I was told by someone in Chattanooga that there's work(blue collar) if you want to work. I've heard people say that in other places also. Do you feel it is the same there? Or is there really no work?
I appreciate your input. Thank you in advance!
Just keep in mind that you are considering a state that has the 4th worst unemployment rate in the USA. Proceed with caution! If you and your husband can get a job offer before you move then great.....if not then would be a bad idea to take a chance moving without having a job first.

I am sure that if you speak to those who live there and are unemployed their perspective about the area's employment outlook will be totally different from those who are employed.

Unemployment Rates for State

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 10-04-2011 at 01:57 PM..

Old 10-04-2011, 02:00 PM

415 posts, read 2,334,663 times
Work should be OK, Bridgestone Tire is building a large manufacturing plant in Aiken SC, Micheline Tire is expanding it Lexington SC plant, BMW is hiring in Greer SC.
If you really want to work, there is work in SC<>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area