Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 07:11 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestedTraveler View Post
Ditto. I would have chosen Atlanta or Charlotte over Greenville if I had it to do over. The job market for IT professionals with my specific skillset in Greenville was pretty non-existent when I was forced to look for a job back in 2009. I would have had my choice of dozens of jobs in either Atlanta or Charlotte. Life took some lucky turns after that, though and I ended up where I am today.
That is great to hear, glad things worked out in your favor. Life is very funny that way. We can plan but never know what kind of surprises life has for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 07:44 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times
My wife's best friend (teacher, BTW) lives in Atlanta (Alpharetta/Cumming area) and we go there somewhat frequently. Additionally, I've worked in Calhoun, GA and currently work (at times) in Athens, GA.

Traffic in the Upstate is difficult on certain parts of I-85, Woodruff (of course), Wade-Hampton, and others (this is a Greenville-centric view). It does not even come close to traffic in Atlanta. I've driven in most parts of the country - Atlanta is just awful - however, I do think that LA traffic is probably worse. I cannot begin to convey how bad traffic is in Atlanta - if I chose to live there, I would only live very close to work (of course, one needs to consider public schools as well).

As for schools - hit or miss with Greenville county - the Riverside area is probably the best - but there are some other pockets of very good schools. SC is a county-based public system. I do think that parts of the Atlanta metro have excellent schools and are probably better than Greenville.

Real estate in general is cheaper in Greenville - especially compared to the more desirable areas of Atlanta (Alpharetta, etc). You can get 1+ acre lots (Parkins Mill area, Collins Creek, Quail Hill, etc) in the city of Greenville, but you will pay a price (at least 500K+). Outside of the city, real estate prices are cheaper (perhaps with the exception of the Riverside/Thornblade area).

Shopping is very good in Greenville. We have Trader Joe's, Apple and will be getting a REI this year. Bass Pro Shops may build as well. There's no Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, IKEA or anything like that and you must drive to Charlotte or Atlanta for pricey boutique stores or very exclusive shopping (Phipps Plaza, Lenox Mall, Atlantic Station). Restaurants: some wonderful restaurants scattered in downtown Greenville and in the suburbs. Of course, Atlanta, with its huge diversity and population, is much better in the dining scene.

There are pockets of crime in every city - just avoid the west side of Greenville.

One last word: just go to downtown Greenville and experience Falls Park - this alone may pull you to the area.

If you have children, see my post here re a "tour" of the downtown Greenville area.

Good Luck!

Last edited by drfranklin; 06-26-2011 at 08:04 AM..

Old 06-26-2011, 07:48 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janrey View Post
NYBorn, I disagree in your assessment to go where the jobs may (and it's a big may) be more plentiful. While everyone's needs differ mine are driving. I don't like to drive where I'm on edge. Therefore, to me Greenville is better for driving. I grew up in the burbs of Boston, small town but it was easy to get into the city via public transportation. Atlanta is no where near Boston status in transportation. You cannot live away from the hustle and bustle of Atlanta. It's not possible. If your used to that, great, if not it will kill you. That is why I always say visit the area first before deciding. You cannot go on others opinions because they vary according to needs and desires and temperament.

Oh and I should add that it only takes my husband 10-15 mins to get home. It took us over 2 hours to get 1 mile in Buckhead for wedding.
Opinions are like _ _ _ holes, we all have them and you are certainly entitled to yours. I never used the word *plentiful* in my post when talking about jobs. With the position this country is in right now I do not believe that any area can be described as having plentiful jobs. I said *diversity of job market* and if it were me I would choose Atlanta over Greenville. Traffic does not scare everybody....I have been in Atlanta traffic many times and it has never taken me 2 hours to get anywhere around Atlanta....maybe it was just a very busy and an unlucky day for you.

If all of the variables were equal....for example diversity of job market, shopping/restaurants, neighborhoods, schools, housing costs or they were retired then without a doubt my vote would have gone to Greenville because it is a nice city. However for working people living in a city that has been established over 20 years and has diversity of job market becomes very important....more important than worrying about traffic that I am sure they will get used to. Greenville is still in its transition stage and I am sorry to say does not offer a lot of options and certainly is not diverse. You either fit into its mold or you don't and have to move someplace else. Great the husband has a job offer in both places right now.....working for a company has become very uncertain.....who knows, a couple of years from now the company bottom line may not look so good and they may begin laying off. Now all of a sudden his job is not so secure anymore! If anything ever goes wrong and there is a job loss believe me they will not think Greenville is so great anymore when they cannot find work easily and see the lack of diversity there! And I am sorry but Greenville's pretty down town should not be used as a factor regarding where to live.....not saying you did this but others on here mention it whenever they think Greenville is losing some kind of contest!

Like the opening line of my original post said *hope for the best......prepare for the worst*.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:54 AM

31 posts, read 98,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preparing2move View Post
What I meant about 1 acre... I want to have at least 1 acre of land (to feel more private) but I dont want to be out in the sticks! I want closeness to shopping and schools, etc...
Gotcha. You will, of course, find lots of all sizes in both Greenville and Atlanta. Most older homes (pre-1990) come with bigger lots. If you are okay with older homes, then Atlanta and Greenville are going to have similar offerings as far as lot sizes. Most of these houses in Atlanta are closer to the city and not in good school districts. The nicer homes and better school districts are in the suburbs, and in Atlanta, the suburbs are very far from the city (30+ minutes in no traffic).

If you want a newer home like me, then it can sometimes be hard to find a good lot size regardless of where you are. Most new houses these days are built on top of each other. I've found this to be true in Atlanta, Greenville, and just about any other city I would imagine. It's more prevalent in Atlanta than Greenville though. Atlanta is very spread out as a city. Even when you do go far from downtown Atlanta, you still find yourself in some pretty condensed suburbs. It's more spread out than most other cities its size. Atlanta is a commuter city...lots of burbs. This has a lot to do with why the traffic is so bad. Evverrrybody drives towards the city for work, because so few people actually live "in" the city.

With enough money, you can of course find as big a lot as you want, wherever you want, but we all know money doesn't grow on trees. Finding a good sized lot in Atlanta is going to come at a premium, but that's not going to be the case in Greenville. You'll find a lot of larger lots and undeveloped areas that are just 20 minutes from downtown Greenville, but those same lots and prices will be 60+ minutes from downtown Atlanta. If you want a large lot in the Atlanta area, expect to pay a very high premium for it...and you risk being in a poor school district. Most districts close to the city are no good.

This one goes to Greenville in my opinion. It's much easier to find larger lots in Greenville that are also in nice areas.

Last edited by Ryan R; 06-26-2011 at 08:12 AM..

Old 06-26-2011, 05:06 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Haven't read the thread through, but here's my two cents...GREENVILLE!!!! Atlanta, too much traffic, people aren't as nice there, to big. Years ago we thought about the Marietta / Rosewell area there, beautiful, but glad we didn't chose there. Greenville is definitely more "homey."

Again, just my 2 cents.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:10 AM

609 posts, read 1,619,341 times
Greenville and Atlanta are great in their own aspects.

I think this is a personal thing.

Greenville has some great outdoor activities which I love.

However, it does not have entertainment value near the city of Atlanta.

Crime wise... I think Greenville & Atlanta are about equal as in you choose a good area, you are ok and good to go.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:34 AM

506 posts, read 1,221,940 times
The traffic alone would keep me from ever moving anywhere near Atlanta - and I've been many times (I have a lot of Family on the outskirts). For me, it's no contest - when I moved to Greenville I had the option to move to Atlanta instead, it wasn't even a contest.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:58 AM

7 posts, read 30,144 times
US NEWS article on-line, Most Dangerous Cities 2/11/2011, lists Atlanta as number 2 after New Orleans. Greenville cannot boast a low crime rate, but certainly not the Atlanta scene. I have lived downtown (Heritage Historic) Greenville for nearly seven years and feel perfectly safe here. In the neighborhood there is the occasional theft from vehicles and backyards but nothing serious. Sometimes there is violent crime downtown at bars at 1 am, but that would be true most anywhere. I vote Greenville for safety.
Plus, downtown Greenville is absolutely gorgeous.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:21 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,467,794 times
Unless you are in the very small minority of people regularly shopping at Gucci and Versace, and dining at five-star restaurants several times per week, Greenville has 99% of what you will need on a regular basis. For the rare occasions you want more, Atlanta is an easy weekend trip.

Deciding between the two cities comes down to quality of life, and I think Greenville is the logical choice in that regard. More affordable housing, minimal traffic delays, access to a lot of activities and events, etc.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:11 AM

212 posts, read 492,467 times
Greenville, You said exactly what I was thinking. We will be coming from a town of 4000. Of course Columbus, Ohio is a 15 minute drive from us. But, we have never lived in a large city like atlanta and I think my children would be in culture shock. They love the basics: baseball, cheerleading and friends. As long as greenville has those, they should do fine. I just need my Target and bookstores with lots of coffee. I think we will love greenville. Cant wait to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area