Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 06:20 PM

64 posts, read 107,506 times

Advertisements

Im looking for a laid back town to move to From south Dakota..Will be looking to become a fire fighter where ever i do choose to move to. Looking for low crime rite and a nice senic city and this seems to have it all. Would you recommend moving here? whats the pros and cons of Greenville?

mild Winters are a HUGE plus in looking to relocate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 10:03 PM

5,489 posts, read 8,319,551 times
Are you looking for a small town? Greenville is the center of a 1.2+ million csa. It's not Chicago, but it's a long ways from Mayberry also.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:17 PM

Nope not a small town im from omaha and lived in Denver metro for a year. Denver metro is around 3 million that was a bit to much for me.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:48 PM

I would guess it's similar in size to Omaha, but with a more populated surrounding area. We do have some crime, but as long as you stay out of those areas you should be fairly safe. It is a heavily transplanted area, that is having steady growth.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:08 PM

Sounds great thanks for the info! was looking at here or san diego..choose here!

Old 07-23-2011, 12:12 AM

Take a trip over here when you get a chance. I think you'll like it.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:24 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmac15 View Post
Im looking for a laid back town to move to From south Dakota..Will be looking to become a fire fighter where ever i do choose to move to. Looking for low crime rite and a nice senic city and this seems to have it all. Would you recommend moving here? whats the pros and cons of Greenville?

mild Winters are a HUGE plus in looking to relocate.
Pros
  1. Nice down town
  2. Homes and apartments *depending on what you want* are still very affordable.
  3. Good amount of shopping that will keep most people happy.
  4. Plenty of restaurants and always seems that a new one is opening up.
  5. Clean and quiet.
  6. Proximity to Atlanta *2 1/2 hour drive* for better shopping, restaurants and entertainment options.
  7. Small population.
Cons
  1. Limited job opportunities for the *better paying jobs*. I always recommend that people have a job offer before moving.
  2. Limited entertainment options. A few bars, especially down town but nothing I would consider a real night club scene
  3. Vehicle tax on cars once a year. The newer the car the more expensive it is.
  4. Too many of the restaurants are chains. Would be nice to have more unique eateries there.
  5. Residents that become defensive if anything is said about Greenville....especially if it is coming from the mouth of a newcomer.
  6. Too conservative on many issues. *This one could be good or bad depending on your views*.
  7. Car dependent with the exception of a limited bus service. Hopefully this will change in the future.
  8. No beaches, if that is your thing you will have to drive hours to get to one. Lakes are not a substitute in my opinion.
  9. Usually one snow each winter. Not unusual for the temperature to get into the 40's there in the winter (not exactly a warm winter).
Would only recommend moving to Greenville.

If:

You are retired or can get a job before you move.

If the choice for you is between Greenville and San Diego.....I would pick San Diego for obvious reasons!

Good luck....

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 07-23-2011 at 05:13 AM..

Old 07-23-2011, 05:01 AM

12,897 posts, read 18,748,565 times
I just refuse to believe Greenville has no true nightclubs. Are there not enough people into hip-hop and/or high-energy dance music there? The only thing I'm aware of is that the bars and clubs there close at 2 a.m. When going out dancing every Friday and Saturday night was my thing in my younger years, I often didn't even get to the clubs until 12:45 and danced until closing at 4 a.m. If the 2 a.m. closings have put a damper on all-night partying in Greenville, the city council might want to consider allowing bars and clubs to buy a permit to stay open till... That's what Columbia has done. We'll see how it works. If all the people kicked out of some bars at 2 a.m. flock to bars that have permits, that might turn into a problem. Anyway - dance, young Greenville, dance, wherever you can. Old Greenville, too, for that matter.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:35 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,179,876 times
I agree with NewYorkBorn in regards to having a job BEFORE you come, especially within such a specific field as being a fire fighter. If not, do have a good back-up plan. Friends friend is a mech. designer, looked for a job before he came, even came here a few times trying to pound the pavement but no one would see him, everything is done on line (he's old school). He even has a head hunter searching for him. Finally moved his family here and still nothing, though he has the credentials and experience.

So many people are out of work that they are at the point they'll take anything, even to mowing people's yards. They want to work, they just can't find work. So if you go here (or anywhere, really) without a job, or a viable back up plan, you may find yourself without a job for a long time. If you think if you don't find a job you'll do (blank) you better think it through REALLY good. That, or have a lot of money socked away to hold you for quite a while til you do find a job. It took my son 6 months to find a job, and my DD is now pounding the pavement in NYC trying to find a job as well. As a stage actress she's in a field where it's just as hard to find a job. She just finished a year long tour and has to start the process of auditioning all over again - every year or two you have to look for a job - no thank you, but this is what she went to school for, and the occupation she's chosen so you do what you have to do.

I've found Greenville a great place to live, and I love San Diego too, though I couldn't afford to live there, but there really is no comparison between the two. You have to look at the pros and cons of the two.

Wish you luck!

Old 07-23-2011, 08:59 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,607,776 times
Of all the cities in the US, San Diego is my favorite - the best climate by far in the country - great scenery and just about the right size. However, SD is thousands of miles from immediate family - come to think of it that may not be a bad idea

Rmac, this is an active board - you'll find polar extremes from outright cheerleading to extremely negative, vitriolic views - remember this is an opinion board - you really need to visit the area to get a feel for it

Greenville, SC Pros & Cons

Pros

Fantastic Downtown (Greenville)
The city of Greenville is fairly progressive (bike lanes, smoking ban, etc)
Some fantastic local restaurants (Pita House, Sassafras, Rick Erwins, etc)
Great downtown festivals and activities
Numerous activities for kids: Zoo, Children's Museum, Cleveland Park, Falls Parks, Mice on Main, water parks, etc
Swamp Rabbit Trail/biking climate
Easy access to the mountains of North Carolina/Asheville
Lush/green everywhere
Moderate, 4 season climate with some snow/ice every year
Low overall cost of living (especially if you own a house in a stable, established neighborhood)
Southwest Airlines (need more direct flights)
Publix
Trader Joe's
Great place to raise a family

Cons
Outside of downtown Greenville, the Upstate is fairly non-descript and, at times, just ugly (drive down Wade-Hampton) - of course, this applies to those areas outside of the mountains
Significant sprawl
Limited upscale, aesthetically appealing shopping venues (Haywood and Greenridge do not count)
On average, disappointing/average public schools (my opinion only, a few excellent areas)
Very conservative outside of the city of Greenville (this may be a pro for some)
Yearly auto property tax - I absolutely despise paying this - outrageous sums for newer cars
Humidity - it's quite high from June thru early September - but this is typical on the East Coast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area