Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 05:09 PM

21 posts, read 40,407 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum & find it fun & interesting to learn about SC. I am currently trying to sell my home here in MA & thinking of moving to Greenville or surrounding areas close by. You will probley think i'm a bit crazy since i have NEVER... been to SC!! I've been to NC & other states but find SC is a bit cheaper. My other pick was GA. But it sounds like it may end up being SC.

I'm a HUGE... horse lover!!! I'm looking to find a small home/Mobile home with some acreage for some horses in my back yard. Some people tell me that i won't regret moving there. While others say differant. I say it cannot be any worse than living here. IMO it's too high priced,not the same as it used to be growing up,too many people & traffic ect,ect.

But sometimes i get a bit nervous to go there & not know what to expect.
I'm a country girl & i love open spaces with nature. Of coarse.... if or when my home does happen to sell. I will fly down there to look around with realtors & decide. Does anyone from in & around Greenville have any advice,pics or ideas for me before make a final decision? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 05:42 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossBoss View Post
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum & find it fun & interesting to learn about SC. I am currently trying to sell my home here in MA & thinking of moving to Greenville or surrounding areas close by. You will probley think i'm a bit crazy since i have NEVER... been to SC!! I've been to NC & other states but find SC is a bit cheaper. My other pick was GA. But it sounds like it may end up being SC.

I'm a HUGE... horse lover!!! I'm looking to find a small home/Mobile home with some acreage for some horses in my back yard. Some people tell me that i won't regret moving there. While others say differant. I say it cannot be any worse than living here. IMO it's too high priced,not the same as it used to be growing up,too many people & traffic ect,ect.

But sometimes i get a bit nervous to go there & not know what to expect.
I'm a country girl & i love open spaces with nature. Of coarse.... if or when my home does happen to sell. I will fly down there to look around with realtors & decide. Does anyone from in & around Greenville have any advice,pics or ideas for me before make a final decision? Thank you!
If you are into horses and need acreage.....Aiken SC is a nice town. If Greenville is your choice you will probably find acreage on the outskirts (probably Travelers Rest). First piece of advice. Would be a good idea to see SC without a realtor on your first trip. Fly down and look around on your own and see as much as you can see. Having a realtor with you on your first trip there will distort your views about the area.....realtors job is to sell you on the area! Can only get to know so much about a city in a week....why rush into buying a home right away? If possible make two visits before deciding. I'm just saying!

Then after that if you like what you see and decide that it is the place for you my second piece of advice is. Spend the first year renting an apartment. Visiting an area and living in it day in and day out is totally different. At least with renting an apartment you will have a chance to really get to know the area before making a home purchase commitment. This way if you don't like the area all you have to do is pack up and move someplace else without the headache of selling a home.

Good luck...

Old 08-07-2011, 05:50 PM

609 posts, read 1,620,329 times
"Life is what you make it wherever you go. "

I make where I'm at Great. I see the flaws in places yeah but all depends on what I want.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:44 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,186,541 times
I agree with NYBorn. Read the forums, do a search on the questions you'd like answered about Greenville, most have probably been asked at least once before. Make a list of all the things you can't find answers for over some time and then post them, as you can see, people will answer.

I do believe you need to make a plan to come visit and know where you want to go and what you want to see. You can go see all the things people come to Greenville to see, Downtown is lovely, Falls Park is great, but what's more important is to discover Greenville and find where you think you'd like to live.

It's VERY important to come here and look before you leap. For over 20yrs I had a plan to move to NC. When we really started to seriously consider a move, we reconsidered, looking at the bigger picture, the area we thought of moving to in NC wasn't condusive to our lives or lifestyle, so we had to reconsider and look elsewhere. If we had just up and moved to what we thought was what we wanted I can tell you right now, I would NOT be a happy camper and it would have been a big mistake to have moved there.

I'm from Miami and you can go on the forum over there and see just how miserable many people who moved there thinking it was going to be "paradise". They see what they want on TV and think it's all that and a bag of chips and uproot their lives, and families without doing their homework, and they are truly unhappy and miserable living there. They don't realize how high the cost of living is there, how bad the traffic, how hard it is to find a job - the list goes on.are.

I'm sure the cost of living here is probably cheaper than MA, for the most part, for me, its cheaper here than Miami with exception of food costs and having state tax, but that is NOT the reason I moved here (though many do). Always having a desire to move to the Carolinas for the last 30yrs, I moved here for all the right reasons, I just moved to SC rather than NC, and for me, I feel the wait, all the research, questions I asked, all the trips to come here have all paid off.

Best of luck to you!

Old 08-08-2011, 06:54 AM

899 posts, read 2,288,652 times
Quote:
I'm a HUGE... horse lover!!! I'm looking to find a small home/Mobile home with some acreage for some horses in my back yard.
"Horse Country" in the Upstate (Greenville area) is Landrum and the surrounding area in northern Spartanburg County. Might want to put it on your radar.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:54 PM

915 posts, read 2,424,611 times
In terms of the Upstate, it all comes down to price. That will somewhat determine how close or how far away you are to conveniences (grocery stores, etc).

Just doing a quick search of properties marked "horses permitted" with 3 acres or more reveals 118 properties currently available in the Greater Greenville MLS. They range in price from $87,900 to $2,900,000. The median is $417,000, but there are 30 properties currently listed for $250,000 or less. 11 of those homes are listed as having an existing barn/stall.

I hope that helps, but I really just wanted to let you know that there are properties available to you, which match the basics of your criteria.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:00 PM

Talking Moving to SC asap! Reply

Thanx for all your replies! However i am not looking for homes that are very high priced. I'm looking for something simple & basic since it's only me that will move there. I don't want a large home either but if the price is right i may consider it. Currently i'm logged onto Hamilton & keller RE MLS search which is located in Greenville. The site has homes & mobiles in my low price range. I wanna buy something cheap. But yet NOT a dump!!

There were a lot of homes that i fell in love with but since my home here is NOT selling, there all sold. Talked to a realtor & they said that homes are selling like hot cakes down there!! I believe it since there are not many to choose from at this time.

I'm not a picky person. I just need to be close enough for employment since i do not wanna drive a hundred miles back & forth to work.
I have everything saved on this computer as a back up for me & as things change, i delete them as needed. I wish thing's would happen like yesterday!! But hopefully moving to this area of SC is worth the wait.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:33 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,997 times
Quote:
There were a lot of homes that i fell in love with but since my home here is NOT selling, there all sold. Talked to a realtor & they said that homes are selling like hot cakes down there!! I believe it since there are not many to choose from at this time.
You may want to check with someone other than a real estate agent on that, like somebody here who is trying to sell. There are a ton of homes on the market here, but good deals can sell fairly quickly. The house across the way from us has been on the market for a year. One down the street sold in about 5-6 months, as it was priced better. Other houses in my hood have been for sale, off and on, for the four years I've lived here and still aren't sold. There are some good deals that pop up, but realize that home values in this area don't even keep up with inflation. That's the price of completely unregulated sprawl.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:46 PM

Can i ask you if you are moving to another SC location? Or out of state & why? Do you have a home with or without acreage? If so. Where? Just curious!

Old 08-08-2011, 03:29 PM

915 posts, read 2,424,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
You may want to check with someone other than a real estate agent on that, like somebody here who is trying to sell. There are a ton of homes on the market here, but good deals can sell fairly quickly. The house across the way from us has been on the market for a year. One down the street sold in about 5-6 months, as it was priced better. Other houses in my hood have been for sale, off and on, for the four years I've lived here and still aren't sold. There are some good deals that pop up, but realize that home values in this area don't even keep up with inflation. That's the price of completely unregulated sprawl.
As a counterpoint, I have recently runs stats for clients on neighborhoods where the average time on market is less than 75 days over the past 12 months.

Overall, the average days on market for resale homes in the Greater Greenville area was 160.4 days for homes sold in 2nd quarter, which is far better than the national average.

That is cumulative days on market, so removing the house from the market, and putting it right back on would have no effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area