Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 09:47 PM

6 posts, read 18,164 times

Advertisements

My husband might be taking a job in Spartanburg and from the statistics I've seen on the internet the crime rate is comparable to Birmingham Alabama (which is not very safe. we live 30 minutes from Birmingham in a very safe town). Can someone who lives in that area of South Carolina suggest some safe areas up to 40 minute drive from Spartanburg to raise teens. I've looked at information on Greenville, Mauldin,Duncan, Wellford, Woodruff. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I see that Mauldin has a really high sex offender rate..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 10:52 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Lots of us raise our families here in Mauldin. Mauldin shows 8 offenders while Duncan has 13, yet you said Mauldin had a "really high sex offender rate". Me wonders where you are getting your information.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:35 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
I believe Greenville has a lower overall crime rate than Spartanburg.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:17 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,176 times
I'm a native of Birmingham and have now lived in the Upstate of SC for (a total) of more than 7 years. I visit the Birmingham metro often.

I don't know where you live (please complete your location information) - but if you live in the more upscale parts of B'ham (Vestavia/Mountain Brook/etc) - moving to Spartanburg will be a step down in overall quality (my opinion only).

I've come to realize that the Birmingham metro (taken as a whole) is just a little better in overall quality of life (when compared to the Upstate). This is especially true when you compare Vestavia/Mountain Brook/parts of Hoover to its comparable locals in the Upstate - actually, there is nothing like those areas in the Upstate. The Augusta Road/North Main/Parkins Mill areas (of Greenville) are all tiny when compared to the more upscale areas of Birmingham. And, this may surprise to those not familiar with B'ham, but public schools in their upscale areas (Mountain Brook/Vestavia) are VASTLY superior to anything in the Greenville metro (maybe with the exception of parts of Greer).

However, what really makes the Upstate of SC appealing (compared to B'ham): 1. slightly better shopping (Trader Joe's, Total Wine, REI - B'ham has none of those - but please note that the malls [yes, plural] are MUCH more appealing in Birmingham, especially The Summit, and it's over 15 years old!), 2. Greenville's amazing downtown (you must see Falls Park), 3. easy access to the mountains of NC (Asheville is little over 1 hour north) - access to the high mountains of TN/NC is easily a 4-5 hour drive from B'ham, 4. lottery state (yes, I said it, I enjoy playing it - it will benefit my kids with a nearly free college education - additionally, the state of AL will NEVER have a lottery in my lifetime).

Honestly, if I lived in the nicer parts of Birmingham and had a stable job, I'm not sure I would move to the Upstate.

As for Spartanburg, I worked there for nearly two years - it has a nice, clean downtown and good shopping (with Costco!). As many will agree, Greenville is the epicenter of the Upstate (with all the upscale shopping and great dining). If you do consider the Upstate, look at Greer (sits between Greenville and Spartanburg - with easy access to both).

Good luck!

Last edited by drfranklin; 05-27-2012 at 08:39 AM..

Old 05-27-2012, 08:38 AM

sorry I mis-spoke when talking about sex offenders. It was Greenville that has a high sex offender ratio (164 to 1), not Mauldin. Mauldin seems like the place we would like to live but I wasn't sure how nice it was there (quality houses, well maintained, pleasant people).

Regarding where we live, we're in Helena not Mountain Brook or Vestavia so I think we'll be ok around the Greenville area. We mainly shop at Target, Kohls, JC Penney, Publix so if they have those stores we'll be fine. We won't move to Spartanburg. I just wanted to make sure there are decent places to live outside of Spartanburg and schools that are safe and fun. I know that most schools in the USA have taken the fun out of learning. Here in Helena the kids get a class trip in grade 5 and then field trips end. So, our two priorities in a place to live are safely in the town and schools that care about the kids and let them be individuals. my daughter will be in grade 7 and my son in grade 9 this fall.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InAL View Post
sorry I mis-spoke when talking about sex offenders. It was Greenville that has a high sex offender ratio (164 to 1), not Mauldin. Mauldin seems like the place we would like to live but I wasn't sure how nice it was there (quality houses, well maintained, pleasant people).

Regarding where we live, we're in Helena not Mountain Brook or Vestavia so I think we'll be ok around the Greenville area. We mainly shop at Target, Kohls, JC Penney, Publix so if they have those stores we'll be fine. We won't move to Spartanburg. I just wanted to make sure there are decent places to live outside of Spartanburg and schools that are safe and fun. I know that most schools in the USA have taken the fun out of learning. Here in Helena the kids get a class trip in grade 5 and then field trips end. So, our two priorities in a place to live are safely in the town and schools that care about the kids and let them be individuals. my daughter will be in grade 7 and my son in grade 9 this fall.
Ok, good! I live in Mauldin (did I say that before?) and have a child at Mauldin High School now. The experience you've had with school field trips is pretty much how it is here too. As a whole this state poorly educates our children, but Greenville County School District is one of the best, if not the best district in the state. Our schools are always winning awards both state and nationally. Is there any interest in band? Mauldin High's Marching Mav Band is one of the best in the Upstate, consistently year after year sending more kids than any other school to County and State competitions. We have been with the band now for 5 years with 3 more to go! We have a website I can direct you to if there is any interest, lmk.

When we watch the news we see more crime being reported in Spartanburg and Anderson than in Greenville but for the most part all areas are safe, with only a few exceptions. Many crimes are domestic related so there should be no problems for you. Keep in mind that it is cheap to live in this state, but wages can be low and that is one reason you see so many sex offenders in Greenville and the surrounding areas. They have to live somewhere, after all!

Old 05-27-2012, 09:39 AM

myrc60, my son was in band for grade 6, 7, 8 but I'm not sure if he wants to continue in high school. worth looking at though. He played the euphonium in band. His bigger passion is playing the electric guitar and drums (private lessons).

Thanks for the info. I really hope my husband gets the job.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:05 AM

I am not sure what a euphonium is actually but we do sometimes have someone on elec guitar. You can search youtube for our shows; most of last year's competition video's are out there. If he is interested do not wait for the school year to begin to contact our director. Band Camp runs through the entire summer and once the drill is placed it is hard to add new marchers to the mix. Our show next year is going to be amazing!

Old 05-28-2012, 05:46 AM

192 posts, read 429,488 times
Also, take a look at Greer and the Blue Ridge area. They're a lot closer to Spartanburg (for commuting purposes) but are a lot nicer than Spartanburg.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:55 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times
In your situation, I would tell my real estate agent to look for homes in the Riverside High School attendance zone. That area is just south of Taylors and Greer. It is in that area between Spartanburg and Greenville that will be convenient for your husband to get to work and for everyone to get to shopping. Riverside has also consistently been one of the best schools in the Greenville county system for many, many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area