Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 02:47 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,334,442 times

Advertisements

I have looked at hundreds of homes online in the Greer/Greenville area and have yet to run into anything other than traditional styled homes, mostly brick and all very formal looking. Do contemporary style homes even exist?

If we build one on a lake somewhere will we stick out like sore thumbs? I just cannot imagine having some big brick traditional home on a lake. I'm not talking about anything uber modern, just something warm with lots of wood and windows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 03:38 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,185,127 times
I've definitely seen some more modern style homes, and yes, they do stick out, but then again, so does the trailers that sit right next to some very beautiful and expensive homes.

If you are building within a development with a HOA you know they're going to be building guidelines. If you buy a piece of land "where ever" then you do with it what you want - just as the guy next door can do with it what he wants, and put what he wants - unless there's some type of restrictions on the land.

We looked at some very nice homes while we were house hunting - some we had to forego just because what was in very close proximity, or worse, right next door. Those in a structured development looked so alike, and then the HOA - wasn't for us.

So who cares if you stick out - you shouldn't. As long as you like the house, that's all that matters. No one else is paying your taxes, insurance and bills. If no one else likes it, oh well, it's their problem!

Look under contemporary homes. Is this something like you were thinking, as far as the outside look?

1 Applejack Lane, Taylors SC 29687, MLS #1227680, Weichert.com (no affiliation, just picked one I found from one of the sites)

Old 08-29-2011, 03:39 PM

123 posts, read 437,542 times
Having a brick or stone house down here will cut down on your electric bill because they are better insulated and keep all the air conditioning in. We also have A LOT of bugs and with brick you also won't have to worry so much about termite infestations.

I have seen some older looking wood homes with windows on the lake but I can't say that I've seen anything that I would call contemporary - as in those big square houses you see in California. You can build whatever you want though. It's not like we're gonna come and burn your house down because it's different. We tend to embrace the eccentric. Unless you move into an HOA but the people that live in those are usually repressed a-holes and you don't want them for neighbors anyway.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:42 PM

123 posts, read 437,542 times
Ok, I basically just repeated what Eldemila said. What can I say - great minds think alike!

Old 08-29-2011, 03:59 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
I have looked at hundreds of homes online in the Greer/Greenville area and have yet to run into anything other than traditional styled homes, mostly brick and all very formal looking. Do contemporary style homes even exist?
I think you'd need to look for older homes in more established neighborhoods, or lots in those locales. For example, the Parkins Mill area was mostly developed in the 70's and offers a decent amount of modern homes. There's actually one for sale on Cleveland St Ext (if you have $800,000), and one on Henderson Rd that's closer to the mid 400's. They're around.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:55 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
I've seen quite a few "California modern" style homes in various location in the metro area (not many on lakes though). They mainly seem to have been built in the 70's or 80's, but most are very well cared for-looking and on wooded lots.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:24 PM

47 posts, read 101,763 times
For a lake, you might like something that tends to be called "mountain style". There is a local Greenville architect who has online plans that you can take a look at:

New South Classics: Mountain Living Classics

I may be way off base, here, but when you say you want warm & wooden I think this may fit.

BTW - you can get a fiber cement product (Nichiha Sierra Premium Shake) which looks like traditional cedar shake but won't have any insect issues. We did this on our house which is a Shingle Style inspired design & most people (including construction pros) don't know that it is not wood until we tell them.

Nichiha USA, Inc. - Fiber Cement Building Products.

Also, around here, you can get real thin stone veneer for not much more than the simulated stone material (like Cultured Stone). It looks so gorgeous.

HTH - Jo Ann

Old 08-30-2011, 09:24 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies! Drjoann, thanks for the link to the mountain homes. That's very close to what I have in mind. We are very familiar with energy costs, termites, etc. and we have lived in homes with brick, stucco, and wood siding (actually hardiplank) and none were significantly different as far as cost or upkeep. We will be building a very energy efficient home.

I found an example of the style I like:

Listing Details (http://austinhomesearch.com/Search/Details.aspx?li=218204&or=1&cp=1# - broken link)

It's not exactly what I'm looking for, just the first one that came close.

When we decide which lake we like and purchase a lot, I guess we'll be the first on the block to build something different. I'm fine with that. And I definitely understand about the lack of zoning and will be very careful with the neighborhood, although I hate the planned neighborhoods with all the "great amenities". I don't forsee using a clubhouse so I really don't want to pay for one!

Old 08-30-2011, 10:16 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoann View Post
For a lake, you might like something that tends to be called "mountain style". There is a local Greenville architect who has online plans that you can take a look at:

New South Classics: Mountain Living Classics

I may be way off base, here, but when you say you want warm & wooden I think this may fit.

BTW - you can get a fiber cement product (Nichiha Sierra Premium Shake) which looks like traditional cedar shake but won't have any insect issues. We did this on our house which is a Shingle Style inspired design & most people (including construction pros) don't know that it is not wood until we tell them.

Nichiha USA, Inc. - Fiber Cement Building Products.

Also, around here, you can get real thin stone veneer for not much more than the simulated stone material (like Cultured Stone). It looks so gorgeous.

HTH - Jo Ann
Is the product expensive? How does it compare to traditional material in price?

Old 08-30-2011, 10:40 AM

Jo Ann, thank you for the link to the fiber cement building products page. We had hardiplank (fiber cement siding) when it first came out and all that was offered was the regular smooth look. To see the new styles out now is really exciting! I have bookmarked the site for future use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area