Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 11:40 AM

74 posts, read 310,260 times

Advertisements

Just to let you all know, we finally found a home in Simpsonville! It is in Bennett's Grove, off Woodruff Road and Bennetts Bridge Road. It is by Ryan Homes. It won't be started until we sell our current home, but we are so excited!! The schools in our area seem great. I hope they don't change them! Right now, we are in the Oakview Elem Schools.

Thank you to everyone for all your help. It's hard to know what to do when you are moving from a different state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 08:19 PM

698 posts, read 2,842,379 times
Congratulations! Hope it's everything you dream of.
We've never built a new home but I'm sure it will be a great adventure!
Will you be renting a house in Simpsonville after your current one is sold and the new one isn't done yet?

Old 08-29-2007, 08:57 PM

119 posts, read 565,021 times
Which style Ryan home are your building and how long did they give you to sell your current house? Just curious as we have looked at Ryan homes also and haven't made a decision yet.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:43 PM

266 posts, read 1,162,302 times
I'm SO jealous - I love the products Ryan has! And Simpsonville is a great place! Which model are you building? My personal favorite is the Avalon...;showed it to a friend of mine....I priced it out at 400K there - she said it would be 1.5 mil here! Good for you!!!

Old 08-31-2007, 11:35 AM

335 posts, read 1,181,465 times
Congratulations. We really liked Ryan Homes as well. They seem to have great quality homes. One thing, is they don't have many with the laundry room up like we are looking for. Also, I can not get over them not doing a contingency contract. They offered to push out the delivery date as well, but that still made me nervous if our house did not sell. I wish you the best of luck in your building process.
We are still looking in the same area, and have not decided on anything yet.

Liz

Old 08-31-2007, 05:13 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
I was reading this thread and I guess Ryan and Ryland are 2 different companies. Does anyone know about Ryland Homes? I've read they are one of the largest builders in the country. They have communities in Greenville, Maudlin and Simpsonville with smaller homes available now for $125,000. I don't want anything larger than 1,500 sq ft anyway. I just get concerned about quality. Several homes on the Greenville MLS say that "a little TLC" is needed so I wonder why homes only 5 years old need anything at all fixed. I once bought an older home and it was a nightmare, so I am excited to find a new home community with such low prices. However, I've read horror stories about some builders.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:16 PM

335 posts, read 1,181,465 times
Default this might help

Ryan and Ryland are 2 different companies now. My understanding is that at some point there was one company owned by 2 brothers. They parted ways and each started their own company. We currently own a Ryland home that we built 5 years ago. We have had no problems. Our house is on the market, and is not in need of any repairs. Also, a neighbor of ours just sold their Ryland home in our neighborhood and had very little small repairs after the home inspection, nothing major, just some caulk and a few screws. I think in part, it is up to the homeowner to keep up with maintenance on a home. If you fix things that can go wrong normally by any builder a little at a time, there is not a major issue.
Liz

Old 09-01-2007, 12:18 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
Thanks. I guess it's true that a home doesn't fix itself. I need to rely on the "kindness of strangers" however.

I lived in the home I mentioned in the 80s and always hired a handyman to repair minor problems and kept my fingers crossed, but I still remember the time I woke up with snow dripping through the ceiling. Then I didn't have water for a week because the pipes froze and cracked. Then I had to replace the furnace. To this day I wonder if I only needed a new filter! (Duh!) I learned the hard way not to depend on others to tell you what you need to keep your home in good repair. At least a car comes with an owner's manual.

By the way, Congratulations to Soon To be South. I wish you many years of happiness in your new home. (I didn't mean to hijack your thread.)

Old 09-01-2007, 03:40 AM

10 posts, read 34,940 times
Many of the new homes have warranties now. i think it's smarter to go new if you can find what you want at a reasonable price. I'm not much of a fixer upper myself & we are currently renting after owning for 25 years. Some of the local realtors might give you some input on builders. Would compare two or three tho as they might favor their the ones they sell for. And it's good to compare the pros-cons of renting, buying. We're going to be cautious as to when,where & if we buy agin. Best to you & others in your decisions. Personally things seem to always turn out better when I pray first. Andy4472

Old 09-01-2007, 05:35 PM

266 posts, read 1,162,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I was reading this thread and I guess Ryan and Ryland are 2 different companies. Does anyone know about Ryland Homes?
Yes - very different from my perspective. However, I'm judging Ryan in SC vs. Ryland in central FL. Ryland's homes seemed to be more "built to code" structures, while Ryan went beyond what code required and did some extra things in their construction - some even being very small - that (to me) showed integrity and and pride in what they produced.

Again, this is probably not an "apples to apples" comparison. I built with Lennar 3 years ago here in FL, but haven't seen anything they're doing in SC that I would be interested in.

But yes, they're 2 different companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area