Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 08:05 PM

51 posts, read 68,141 times

Advertisements

From what I can tell, the above mentioned (Kinda north of Gville) areas aren't really developing the way Maudlin, Simpsonville, Woodruff Road has.

Any opinons as to why?

If you were to predict future expansion, would it continue in that general direction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 08:42 PM

11 posts, read 25,580 times
Those area's are more of your country part of the county. One main reason for their lack of development is they all are far from I 85 and I 385.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:57 PM

113 posts, read 245,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokensmth View Post
From what I can tell, the above mentioned (Kinda north of Gville) areas aren't really developing the way Maudlin, Simpsonville, Woodruff Road has.

Any opinons as to why?

If you were to predict future expansion, would it continue in that general direction?
That's a good question. My wife and I live in a beautiful neighborhood between Green Valley and Furman called Carillion and couldn't be happier. In our opinion this is the nicest area of Greenville...close to the mountains, but only ten minutes to downtown. You're a little further from Woodruff Road and 385 but the scenery is way better, and the houses a little cheaper. Great area.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:26 PM

51 posts, read 68,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GvegasProud View Post
That's a good question. My wife and I live in a beautiful neighborhood between Green Valley and Furman called Carillion and couldn't be happier. In our opinion this is the nicest area of Greenville...close to the mountains, but only ten minutes to downtown. You're a little further from Woodruff Road and 385 but the scenery is way better, and the houses a little cheaper. Great area.
Just what I wanted to hear! Do you find it's easy to get out and bike or run beyond just your neighborhood? Could you safely bike or run over to the swamp rabbit trail from your community.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:11 PM

113 posts, read 245,097 times
Yes...absolutely...I believe it is a less than a mile to the trail. The hardest part is getting out of the neighborhood, it's all up hill! Furman is also a bike ride away. Beautiful campus.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:58 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,475,421 times
We moved to tavelers rest over the rest of greenville because I can't stand city life and my employer is on this side of town. It is a bit of a PITA some days because it takes us 45 minutes to get to all major shopping on woodruff rd.....the worst part is its only 12 miles away; I think the reason it hasn't built up more is just that. Then again you couldn't pay me to live anywhere near that area so...

There aren't many big employers this way either. Not to mention a lot of land is still for farms and so not as easily sold off and developed....yet at least. If you are an outdoor country type person but have to live near greenville for work, travelers rest is a good middle ground.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:45 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,613,814 times
The northern parts of Greenville county have undergone considerably less growth compared to the southern/eastern parts of the county and the city of Greenville itself. IMO, this is due to average (to below average) public schools and (as noted above) lack of proximity to upscale retail. Please remember, several years ago Traveler's Rest was an absolute dump - it has undergone significant revitalization and now has very easy access to the Swamp Rabbit Trail.

Even at this time, there's no way I'd purchase a home in the Traveler's Rest area if I had children (and could not afford private schools).

One mentioned "city life" above (with a negative connotation) and I find this laughable, especially in Greenville. I live no more than 8 minutes south of downtown and have (at most) moderate traffic to compete with at "rush hour". This is nothing like Atlanta or Charlotte. I live 8 minutes from Haywood Mall (yes, it needs an exterior overhaul, but has some fantastic stores) and 10 minutes from Target/Trader Joe's/Whole Foods/REI/Greenridge (I can take Millennium Blvd/CU-ICAR [fantastic road] and avoid Woodruff).

IMO, the best parts of Greenville county with easy access to the fantastic downtown area, upscale shopping, and the best public schools are:
1. south of downtown/Parkins Mill area
2. parts of Mauldin (fantastic schools)
3. the immediate Eastside area (carefully choose public schools)

Life is too short and having to commute long distances to work, school, and/or shopping is a waste of family time (not to mention expensive gas).

Please remember this an opinion board and there are lots of opinions in this sub-forum.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:05 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,036,525 times
Love North Greenville. Rooftops are continuing to go up even despite the recent downturn and I think you will see more retail follow soon enough. As far as using expensive gas you eastsiders don't think you don't burn gas when you are sitting at all those redlights. Trade that for looking at the mountains every where I go all day. Its beautiful in this area.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:22 PM

177 posts, read 471,050 times
We live over by the Furman golf course. It's an awesome area. Pretty much everything you need is nearby. Farthest you really need to travel is Haywood. The way Cherrydale is growing we probably won't have to that for too long. Great part of Greenville!

Old 01-16-2012, 04:54 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,556,115 times
I truly believe that this area's proximity to Furman, Travelers Rest/the SRT and the mountains will be the reason it finally takes off in a big way in the not-too-distant future. The Cherrydale area already has most of the necessities, and then some. I can definitely see more upscale chains (restaurants & retail) appearing in that area soon to satisfy those who live north of the Pleasantburg/Pointsett Hwy intersection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area