Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 01:28 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times

Advertisements

Voters in the city of Simpsonville have officially granted enough support to allow the sale of alcohol at any eligible business (retailers, restaurants, and bars) on Sundays. They will join the nearby cities of Greenville and Mauldin, which previously passed similar allowances.

Additionally of note, Greer voters granted support for the sale of alcohol at restaurants and bars on Sundays.

More information: Sunday Alcohol Sales Pass In Simpsonville, Greer - Politics News Story - WHNS Greenville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 05:34 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
This should probably open the door for more restaurants in the Fairview Rd corridor!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:16 AM

672 posts, read 1,418,196 times
Did anyone else have a difficult time understanding the wording of that ballot? Not knowing anything about the proposal beforehand, I stood there and read it over and over...and I didn't even know it was about Sunday alcohol sales. It wasn't until I read today's headlines did I understand what they were asking.

Now I feel stupid!

Old 11-03-2010, 09:13 AM

477 posts, read 841,203 times
Finally,
it happened at least twice that I wanted to buy wine for cooking on Sundays and could not get it. I didn't even understood, why I shouldn't be allowed to buy wine on a Sunday. It just doesn't make sense. I guess, I am still not sure.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:51 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
This should probably open the door for more restaurants in the Fairview Rd corridor!
I don't see how a small percentage of customers who actually drink on Sunday will all of a sudden be a boom for new restaurants on Fairview Road. Where would all of these restaurants go? There is very little open space between Kohl's and Target.

Established restaurants will probably see a small spike in business though.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:31 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I don't see how a small percentage of customers who actually drink on Sunday will all of a sudden be a boom for new restaurants on Fairview Road. Where would all of these restaurants go? There is very little open space between Kohl's and Target.

Established restaurants will probably see a small spike in business though.
I'm sure some companies or owners kind of hold back in an area like that until Sunday sales are allowed. It makes a bigger difference than you'd think. Did you see some of the existing places celebrating on the news?

Old 11-03-2010, 10:37 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,138,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
I'm sure some companies or owners kind of hold back in an area like that until Sunday sales are allowed. It makes a bigger difference than you'd think. Did you see some of the existing places celebrating on the news?
I have to agree with my shipmate on this one. There are some vacant lots on Harrison Bridge on either side of Fairview that may attract some new businesses but this vote will not be the deciding factor. I think the next big area will probably be the corner of Grandview and Harrison Bridge. There have been some lookers there lately. A new conveniance store is breaking ground there now on the small corner lot. JMHO

Old 11-03-2010, 10:59 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,100,891 times
Hey Skyliner, Greer did as well. Could you edit your title to read "Simpsonville and Greer allow....." thanks.

Edit: didn't see that you wrote about Greer in the body; sorry.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:01 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Excellent news!!!! Additonal suburbs with Sunday alcohol sales is a good thing to see. Not sure why people think there is a "small" amount of peope that drink on Sunday. I would say the opposite and say many people drink on Sundays. Sunday is an off day and a Sunday morning Bloody or Mimosa is kind of tradition in most social circles.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:35 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,269 times
It should also increase the number of DUI arrests on Sundays. This in turn can add jobs for police officers, lawyers, and alcohol abuse centers. Everyone wins when these types of issues are turned in to referendums.

In related news, Halloween Reveler Dressed As Breathalyzer Busted For Drunk Driving.

Last edited by Hobo7396; 11-03-2010 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: It's the economy, Officer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area