Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 08:21 PM

244 posts, read 643,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerkick79 View Post
All helpful thank you, and yet again sounds more and more like a great fit for us we're in Northborough now more Western ma and I've lived away from the ocean enough to know that I'm fine without it. How close are then mts what kind of a drive are we talking time wise? Orthodox Christians and republican so don't think that would be a problem lol MA is very liberal...but I digress....

What about airport info? How far? Thx!
There is a small airport in Gville, which I've never used. Some of my family retired to Brevard so I've used either the Asheville (NC) airport (2 hrs away) or the Charlotte, NC airport (appox. 90 minutes- 2 hrs away) but there IS a small airport right in Gville.

re: the mountains -- depends on where you live in Gville. If you live in Gville proper, someplace near the downtown section it's only about an hour to the mountains on the SC/NC border...Caesers Head State Park (SC) is only about an hour. If you live on the northwestern side of Gville the mountains are even closer (all the towns near Furman U. are closest to the mountains). I live on the farthest side from the mtns in Simpsonville so when I visit my mother in Brevard, NC it takes me about 1 hr 45 mins (almost 2 hrs) to drive there.

Like another poster said above Hendersonville, NC is quite charming but it's a small town, even smaller than Gville, and makes sense for retirees. If you're a retiree you might love Hendersonville. My mom retired to Brevard which is about 30 minutes away from H'ville. If you happen to like the idea of lots of yankee transplants the Hendersonville/Brevard/Asheville area is chock full of 'em. There are plenty in G'ville, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 09:26 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,137,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer71 View Post
I'm from the North Shore. I grew up in North Andover and bought my first home in Swampscott.

Being in SC is NOTHING like the North Shore. It is much more rural and sprawling here. To call Greenville a city is silly. It's got a cute downtown but it's very small and once you leave the main street area it just isn't a city by any northeast standard.

To the OP, you have some excellent feedback above and I'd agree with ALL of it! Very thoughtful and considerate replies there.

I live in Simpsonville just off Woodruff Road and it's a very busy congested area. It reminds me of a smaller (much smaller) version of Route 1 along Lynn/Peabody and also it reminds me of all the businesses along Rte 9 in Framingham. It's annoying how trafficy it can be along Woodruff, but this is the street where the Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are located.

If you dislike New England and if you have strong Christian/Republican leanings I would say you'd like it here. I don't mean anything by this statement, just that all my neighbors have gigantic Newt/Santorum signs in their front yards and there is an enormous church community here. If this is you, then you'll fit right in.

If you like the ocean then you'll be very far away in Gville. Being from the northshore you are close to the ocean. Here you have at least a 3 hr drive. If you like historic homes and stuff, you'll have to go 3+ hrs to Charleston. Proximity to the ocean would be akin to living way out in Western Mass...in fact the topography is somewhat similar to Western Mass. But in Gville you are close to the moutains and there are pretty areas about 1-2 hrs away in the greater Asheville area and the parts of SC that border NC.

After being here 8 months I admit I find the area lacking in charm and nice scenery. I'm very surprised there isn't more of the "southern charm" I was expecting. The mountains are pretty but the mountains are for the weekend, not your day to day experience.
Durn, if you are so unhappy here why don't you move back up North. I can see why you don't witness any more Southern Charm.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:46 PM

96 posts, read 172,615 times
I didn't take it like the pp was unhappy with GV at all just making honest comparison. Anyway..are the stats really accurate in saying its actually a pretty sunny place something like 200 sunny days per yr?! Is there a gloomy time of year? Gloom here is from nov-April or may

Old 03-01-2012, 01:14 PM

244 posts, read 643,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerkick79 View Post
I didn't take it like the pp was unhappy with GV at all just making honest comparison. Anyway..are the stats really accurate in saying its actually a pretty sunny place something like 200 sunny days per yr?! Is there a gloomy time of year? Gloom here is from nov-April or may
Yeah, regarding the other poster who essentially told me to leave (!!) maybe it's a New England thing, because you understood my "honesty" as it was intended while people in the South seem to take what is regular old honesty as an offense. Chalk it up to regional differences I guess. But I have also noticed that folks on this forum cannot handle any sort of criticism about the area. It needs to be all wonderful and rosy for them to not take offense. Go to the Boston forum and you'll find people complaining and hating and nobody even cares or takes offense up there!

Anyway, there is so little gloom here it's amazing. I haven't been in Gville a full calendar year yet, so perhaps this has been a banner year, but it barely rains and it's not nearly as gloomy as Massachusetts. I've lived in MA and NJ and I can tell you with absolute certainly that you will be amazed at how much less rain and less gray and more sunny days there are in SC. Now, one thing I noticed is that the summers here are atrocious. It is SO hot and humid and there is always a hazy cast to the sky. For about 3 months straight I was miserable last year. Summers here are almost as bad as winters in NE because you just can't be outside, you will be cooped up in the central AC. But I have found the Fall/Winter to be wonderful.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:11 PM

45 posts, read 81,272 times
Quote:
Anyway, there is so little gloom here it's amazing. I haven't been in Gville a full calendar year yet, so perhaps this has been a banner year, but it barely rains and it's not nearly as gloomy as Massachusetts. I've lived in MA and NJ and I can tell you with absolute certainly that you will be amazed at how much less rain and less gray and more sunny days there are in SC. Now, one thing I noticed is that the summers here are atrocious. It is SO hot and humid and there is always a hazy cast to the sky. For about 3 months straight I was miserable last year. Summers here are almost as bad as winters in NE because you just can't be outside, you will be cooped up in the central AC. But I have found the Fall/Winter to be wonderful.
Yes! I agree with all of this. The weather here, overall, is big plus of living in Greenville. During the Summer, I really miss living up North, but Nov-May, I am very thankful to be here. I almost never have to scrape ice or snow off my car, and am able to get my kids outside to play almost every day of the year. Sprintime here is fabulous. I will say, allergies tend to be worse here- I never had any until moving to Greenville. But, they have gotten progressively better each year (they were horrible my first year here!), so I think my body is slowly adjusting to the different pollen or whatever. Summer can be brutal if you're not used to it, but overall the weather in Greenville is a huge improvement on NE. My daffodils are blooming, and today it was 75 (which is definitely warmer than normal, but still)!

Old 03-01-2012, 08:30 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,378,718 times
The last two summers were exceptionally long and hot. I am hoping our current exceptionally mild winter is a sign that this summer will be mild as well. Typical Upstate summers are generally tolerable and not too long. They are also typically followed by months of incredibly gorgeous weather.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Yeah, regarding the other poster who essentially told me to leave (!!) maybe it's a New England thing, because you understood my "honesty" as it was intended while people in the South seem to take what is regular old honesty as an offense. Chalk it up to regional differences I guess.
well that being said, i'm am too often misconsturde up here as it is so this should be interesting..lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribe Pride View Post
My daffodils are blooming, and today it was 75 (which is definitely warmer than normal, but still)!
WOW! A sight a yern to see at the end of eveyr winter..
sounds like we'll be doing our visiting up north to see family and friends during the summer months which I honeslty planned on anyway since i don't want to see another NE winter again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
The last two summers were exceptionally long and hot. I am hoping our current exceptionally mild winter is a sign that this summer will be mild as well. Typical Upstate summers are generally tolerable and not too long. They are also typically followed by months of incredibly gorgeous weather.
I lived in FL for 3 yrs and never complained about the heat or humidity, my husband might be the one with the major adjustment. Are there lots of pools public/private/backyards?

Old 03-02-2012, 12:47 PM

So i've been chcecking out pictures of downtwon GV and i'm getting the impression that it is very clean and neat and has LOTS to offer. Being in NE most of the downtowns are quaint and if you need a 'big box' item you can hop on the highway and be there withing 15 mins or so. having young children we frequent the farms, smaller muesems, state parks, many 'nature walks', etc..but as for the city of boston I personally HATE the city and i think we've taken the kids in maybe twice in 4 yrs, i hate driving in the city i always get lost and the people seem so anxious and mean. but going to the city to just hang out and enjoy - no i don't see it in Boston for us anyway. but GV it seems very very different almost like it may be the opposite for us that if we lived in a surrounding subburb we'd be heading into down town GV more often than not, is this accurate? Are most of the 'happenings' (outside of probably the state parks and mountains) down town? I guess I'm saying from the looks of it I may actually be happy living IN GV itself. I'm really looking forward to a trip down there to really feel it.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:15 PM

21 posts, read 31,191 times
If you're talking about the Greenville Spartanburg Airport, (GSP) my husband's old consultant friends used to call it the "country club." We live 5 minutes away but not on the flight path so we rarely hear planes. It's a breeze to get in and out of, but you pay for this convenience in higher ticket prices.

We're New Yorkers who were living in Arlington, MA when we moved down here 10 years ago. At that time, I saw similarities between the Woodruff/Haywood Rd. areas (strip mall shopping) and Burlington, MA. But as others have said, it's very hard to compare the two areas at all.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:22 PM

Can we talk traffic for minute? My husband is used to a 1-2 hr commute each way so anything less is easy street for him but really how bad is it compared to 95 between 4-7? And when people are complaining about traffic in this forum is it because they haven't scene NE rush hr and come from a much less congested area or is it really THAT bad? If you work and live in GV? Any opinions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area