Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 05:50 PM

96 posts, read 172,847 times

Advertisements

Wondering what your city of GV and it's suburbs comparisons are for anyone who lived in the area north of Boston. For example any towns compare more to Newburyport or north shore towns? Or what would you compare of them to IYO. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 06:00 PM

40 posts, read 110,410 times
I think it's really tough to compare New England and SC. I've spent equal parts of my life in Greenville and the north shore (Beverly and Swampscott). I would compare Woodruff Road to 114 in Peabody. I would say that this area is much more rural than say Beverly/Salem, etc, but you don't have to travel far to find shopping, etc. What kind of information are you looking for, I could probably help, I'm familiar with NE and SC.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:34 PM

45 posts, read 81,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromma View Post
I think it's really tough to compare New England and SC. I've spent equal parts of my life in Greenville and the north shore (Beverly and Swampscott). I would compare Woodruff Road to 114 in Peabody. I would say that this area is much more rural than say Beverly/Salem, etc, but you don't have to travel far to find shopping, etc. What kind of information are you looking for, I could probably help, I'm familiar with NE and SC.
I lived on the North Shore for 4 years (Hamilton, Beverly, and Essex), and I agree with this assessment. NE and SC are very, very different- culturally and physically. Up there, everything is so much older, and so everything is organized around quaint towns with a town common and is fairly walkable. Drive 2 miles and you come to another quaint town with a beautiful 300 year old church, cemetery, town hall, etc. Plus many of the towns are on the coast, which makes driving roads like 127 in Manchester, Gloucester, etc. just beautiful and fun.

SC is nothing like this. Downtown Greenville is pretty and fairly walkable, but once you leave the downtown, Greenville becomes pretty suburban. Strip malls, apartment complexes, and suburban neighborhoods are the norm. There are some older towns outside of Greenville like Anderson, Newberry, etc. that also have cute but small downtowns, but they are a decent drive away. Between here and there is mostly either rural areas or suburbia. SC is pretty in its own way (it's growing on me!), but the North Shore is, hands down, the loveliest place I've lived. There's no comparison, aesthetically, between the SC Upcountry and NE. The closest you would find for that is Charleston, Beufort, or Georgetown on the coast.

You asked about Newburyport. Downtown Greenville would come the closest to that. Newburyport is, IMO, a larger and more scenic place to walk around or live. But Greenville feels similar in size and has some great restaurants and parks as well. But really, beyond that, I think that fromma's comment about Route 114 in Danvers/Peabody is accurate. The Greenville area feels more like Danvers/Peabody than Manchester/Gloucester/Newburyport/Ipswich/etc. More strip-mallish and suburban, rather than quaint,historic towns.

The good news is, there are no roads here as bad as 128! I am so, so glad that I don't have to drive on that road anymore, it is truly one of the worst roads for congestion and poor planning that I have ever driven on.

Man, this thread has made me SO nostalgic! We LOVED our time on the North Shore, truly beautiful. What I wouldn't give to be able to see Crane Beach from my window again...

Old 02-26-2012, 09:02 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,141,815 times
This thread is interesting to a lifer of Greenville since we are headed to Boston for the first time this Fall. Doing a cruise out of Boston and then coming back for two nights at the Omni Parker House so we can see some of the town.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:27 AM

40 posts, read 110,410 times
To the OP, I think you'd really need to visit to get a good feel for the area. There are positives and negatives to both Boston and Greenville. I will say that most things are easier in SC. Travel, traffic, grocery shopping, etc., however with that ease you lose the history of Boston. We LOVE it here, but we also LOVE visiting Boston. We do miss the ocean terribly, but we are the crazy people that will drive to Charleston (about 3 hours) for a day trip to the beach! We also enjoy being within driving distance to Atlanta (Aquarium, etc) and Charlotte. I think Boston and SC both are beautiful, but I will say we have not missed the harsh winters, and we really enjoy that there is still the possibility of snow...with a melt in the near future!

Old 02-27-2012, 07:15 AM

wow thank you for your comparisons! 25 yrs in Beverly myself but now in Northborough until we move. yes i agree the north shore is beautiful but i don't need to be sold on moving out of MA lol I'm one of the few natives that always wanted out. everything you all metioned above actually sounds great to me I've been researching the surrounding suburbs before a visit to see where might be the best fit for us, don't want to live right in the city (which sounds much nicer than gross boston-IMO) but want to be able to have good access to GV for all it has to offer. We have two young kids and we're a homeschooling family so the exposure and shorter drives for socialization would be great but we also like to actually live in a more country feel friendly neighborhood. Making my way through the list I'm sure I'll be posting more Q about specific subs soon thank you

Old 02-27-2012, 11:47 AM

244 posts, read 644,731 times
I'm from the North Shore. I grew up in North Andover and bought my first home in Swampscott.

Being in SC is NOTHING like the North Shore. It is much more rural and sprawling here. To call Greenville a city is silly. It's got a cute downtown but it's very small and once you leave the main street area it just isn't a city by any northeast standard.

To the OP, you have some excellent feedback above and I'd agree with ALL of it! Very thoughtful and considerate replies there.

I live in Simpsonville just off Woodruff Road and it's a very busy congested area. It reminds me of a smaller (much smaller) version of Route 1 along Lynn/Peabody and also it reminds me of all the businesses along Rte 9 in Framingham. It's annoying how trafficy it can be along Woodruff, but this is the street where the Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are located.

If you dislike New England and if you have strong Christian/Republican leanings I would say you'd like it here. I don't mean anything by this statement, just that all my neighbors have gigantic Newt/Santorum signs in their front yards and there is an enormous church community here. If this is you, then you'll fit right in.

If you like the ocean then you'll be very far away in Gville. Being from the northshore you are close to the ocean. Here you have at least a 3 hr drive. If you like historic homes and stuff, you'll have to go 3+ hrs to Charleston. Proximity to the ocean would be akin to living way out in Western Mass...in fact the topography is somewhat similar to Western Mass. But in Gville you are close to the moutains and there are pretty areas about 1-2 hrs away in the greater Asheville area and the parts of SC that border NC.

After being here 8 months I admit I find the area lacking in charm and nice scenery. I'm very surprised there isn't more of the "southern charm" I was expecting. The mountains are pretty but the mountains are for the weekend, not your day to day experience.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer71 View Post
I'm from the North Shore. I grew up in North Andover and bought my first home in Swampscott.

Being in SC is NOTHING like the North Shore. It is much more rural and sprawling here. To call Greenville a city is silly. It's got a cute downtown but it's very small and once you leave the main street area it just isn't a city by any northeast standard.

To the OP, you have some excellent feedback above and I'd agree with ALL of it! Very thoughtful and considerate replies there.

I live in Simpsonville just off Woodruff Road and it's a very busy congested area. It reminds me of a smaller (much smaller) version of Route 1 along Lynn/Peabody and also it reminds me of all the businesses along Rte 9 in Framingham. It's annoying how trafficy it can be along Woodruff, but this is the street where the Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are located.

If you dislike New England and if you have strong Christian/Republican leanings I would say you'd like it here. I don't mean anything by this statement, just that all my neighbors have gigantic Newt/Santorum signs in their front yards and there is an enormous church community here. If this is you, then you'll fit right in.

If you like the ocean then you'll be very far away in Gville. Being from the northshore you are close to the ocean. Here you have at least a 3 hr drive. If you like historic homes and stuff, you'll have to go 3+ hrs to Charleston. Proximity to the ocean would be akin to living way out in Western Mass...in fact the topography is somewhat similar to Western Mass. But in Gville you are close to the moutains and there are pretty areas about 1-2 hrs away in the greater Asheville area and the parts of SC that border NC.

After being here 8 months I admit I find the area lacking in charm and nice scenery. I'm very surprised there isn't more of the "southern charm" I was expecting. The mountains are pretty but the mountains are for the weekend, not your day to day experience.

All helpful thank you, and yet again sounds more and more like a great fit for us we're in Northborough now more Western ma and I've lived away from the ocean enough to know that I'm fine without it. How close are then mts what kind of a drive are we talking time wise? Orthodox Christians and republican so don't think that would be a problem lol MA is very liberal...but I digress....

What about airport info? How far? Thx!

Old 02-27-2012, 05:15 PM

370 posts, read 948,640 times
Nearby Hendersonville NC is a great little town that you also may want to check out. It about 45 minutes from Greenville and the scenery is gorgeous, and feels a little more like Western MA, IMO.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aetcas View Post
Nearby Hendersonville NC is a great little town that you also may want to check out. It about 45 minutes from Greenville and the scenery is gorgeous, and feels a little more like Western MA, IMO.
I have actually already cked it out and it seemd great i just didn't realize how close to GV it is..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area