Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 07:07 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,186,541 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised that there's not more info about the
Chapman Cultural Center in Spartanburg on this board. I see things about Greenville, but little about Spartanburg and the goings on there.

I went with a friend to see Titanic, The Musical this afternoon. For being community theater, it was very, very good. If you like theater, you should try to see if you can get tickets for next weekend. It was sold out for the matinee I saw today.

I know the Peace Center is here in Greenville, but is there something like the Chapman here? I've seen some great shows over there, and while I don't mind going there, it would be nice to know what's closer to home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 07:13 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
Yeah, I go to school right next to the Chapman Cultural Center. Excellent facility with great community involvement all around. Here are some theater options besides the Peace Center that are located in Greenville: Greenville Performing Arts

Old 03-11-2012, 07:54 PM

I just went on the Chapman website. Seems they have classes there too - found this for all you
beer lovers out there!

Chapman Cultural Center: Classes

Old 03-11-2012, 08:41 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I know the Peace Center is here in Greenville, but is there something like the Chapman here? I've seen some great shows over there, and while I don't mind going there, it would be nice to know what's closer to home.
You definitely need to check out the websites of the numerous venues and organizations mentioned in the link g-man430 posted above. Greenville Little Theatre ( http://www.greenvillelittletheatre.org/ - broken link), which is actually larger than CCC and is located in the Heritage Green ( http://www.heritagegreensc.com/ - broken link) cultural center, is a good venue to see richly produced shows played by the best local and regional talent available. See the video below for a taste of GLT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf3SS9lDBCA

Old 03-11-2012, 09:25 PM

16 posts, read 21,072 times
I love the Chapman Center-- they've got a lot going on!

Old 03-12-2012, 05:38 AM

Thanks for the links to other places. I think I'm looking more for something like the Chapman in Greenville where they have a lot of different things going on, not just shows. Besides shows, they seem to have a lot of classes too, which I'm interested in (a friend was recently in a pottery class there) They also have exhibits and a museum.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:31 AM

Again, you need to spend more time looking at the options available. Heritage Green alone covers most of these these amenities and then some. Add the variety of options at other venues in town (don't forget the Governor's School, Furman, and BJU), and you can be completely satisfied. I also get the feeling that you don't really know what goes on at the Peace Center, Centre Stage, Warehouse Theater, Greenville Little Theatre, or Cafe And Then Some.

Last edited by Skyliner; 03-12-2012 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: lousy phone keyboard functions.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Again, you need to spend more time looking at the options available. Heritage Green alone covers most of these these amenities and then some. Add the variety of options at other venues in town (don't forget the Governor's School, Furman, and BJU), and you can be completely satisfied. I also get the feeling that you don't really know what goes on at the Peace Center, Centre Stage, Warehouse Theater, Greenville Little Theatre, or afe and The n Some.
I've been to the Peace Center twice for musicals and once for a foreign film, so I do know about what's going on there. I'll have to look in to the other venues, though they all sound like theater, I'd like to find a place that is more well-rounded and has all different kinds of things going on in one place, similar to Chapman, yet closer.

Thanks!

Old 03-12-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I've been to the Peace Center twice for musicals and once for a foreign film, so I do know about what's going on there. I'll have to look in to the other venues, though they all sound like theater, I'd like to find a place that is more well-rounded and has all different kinds of things going on in one place, similar to Chapman, yet closer.

Thanks!
Please do check them out before rushing to judgement. How many times have I mentioned Heritage Green, which has multiple museums that offer classes as well. I don't know how old you are, but Furman also offers excellent classes for seniors. BJU used to offer several classes (including a variety of art mediums) to the public during the summer, but I don't know if they still offer them.

Edit to add: The Peace Center offers much more than musicals and foreign films.

You should also consider getting involved in one of the many community organizations around town.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:51 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,548,431 times
I just have to chuckle a little and picture an SNL or Mad TV skit when I hear "Titanic-the Musical"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area