Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:50 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,022,762 times

Advertisements

I have a feeling BILO will be renamed WD because its name is just as well known around the carolinas when they were here 7 years ago. Winn Dixie has strong private labels and it will reduce costs to operate one name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 07:08 PM

9,503 posts, read 9,824,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Well, I used to shop at Bi-Lo. Not anymore. They just loss all of my business and respect. I'll be doing my shopping at Publix from now on. If they want to give a ********* to the consumers like me who did nothing but support them in this area then i'll give it to them right back.
We've already switched to Publix a few months ago for good. Just wasn't happy with Bi-Lo recently. The stores are too big, it seems like it takes forever to get around. Publix customer service is far superior. And Publix BOGO deals are usually very competitive.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:40 PM

423 posts, read 899,261 times
My friend whose husband works for C & S as a trucker says that the distribution will stay here at least for the next 2 years. Their contract with Bi-Lo doesn't expire for 2 years and will have to be renegotiated in order to add WD routes so they may end up leaving the distribution in Mauldin. Of course, this is only hearsay.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:19 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlgal View Post
My friend whose husband works for C & S as a trucker says that the distribution will stay here at least for the next 2 years. Their contract with Bi-Lo doesn't expire for 2 years and will have to be renegotiated in order to add WD routes so they may end up leaving the distribution in Mauldin. Of course, this is only hearsay.
I can see them leaving distribution the way it is...it's a lot farther to bring it from Florida up here.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:48 PM

271 posts, read 797,501 times
Wow, FL must have given them some great incentives.

Having just moved from FL a few years ago, the Jacksonville area to be exact, I can tell you that Winn-Dixie is a slummy grocery store. It's like the Food Lions...old, junky, feels like you walked into a grocery store from the 70's. Usually in older, run-down shopping plaza's. Basically, you don't go shopping there unless you HAVE to.

Can't imagine how much work Bi-Lo has ahead of them to get that turned around. They'd be better off just getting rid of the Winn-Dixie name altogether, as even if they do all new stores, it's going to be hard to over come the "reputation" of Winn-Dixie stores.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:34 AM

186 posts, read 358,997 times
Can't say this bothers me. Once you see how much cheaper it is at Wal-Mart, you quickly forget about Bi-Hi. But kudos to Bi-Lo execs for running off to the tax haven of Florida. Makes me think of a certain term about rats and a sinking ship.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:10 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,022,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HailVictory View Post
Can't say this bothers me. Once you see how much cheaper it is at Wal-Mart, you quickly forget about Bi-Hi. But kudos to Bi-Lo execs for running off to the tax haven of Florida. Makes me think of a certain term about rats and a sinking ship.

I agree it has become Bi-Hi with a whole lot of Perks that you are paying for when you purchase non-sale items. I will continue to shop Wal-mart for basics and Publix for their brands and specialty items.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:05 AM

10,106 posts, read 7,775,270 times
I love Walmarts prices. I'm more into saving than how nice the store is. After shopping in Walmart for groceries on a regular basis and then going into a Publix or BI-LO, I can really see the higher prices for items I usually buy. I only go into Publix or BI-LO if going to Walmart isn't convenient and I only need a couple of items.

If price weren't an issue, I'd go to Publix all the time. They are super clean, super friendly and I love their selection of items. It's weird to go there and know what I'm buying isn't on special nor do I have a Publix courtesy card to use to make bill even lower. I feel like I'm paying so much for that friendliness and cleanliness. Ever notice how the people shopping there are more high class? You'd hardly ever see Walmartians there.

I do like Ingles almost as much as I like shopping at Walmart but I don't have one close by or else I'd be going there on a regular basis.

BI-LO does at time have some good BOGO sales, but Walmart has better prices on most items, even when not on sale.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:45 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
Publix does not have "coutesy cards," or any other membership savings card that I am aware of.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:56 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,760,501 times
It is worth an extra $10 a week to shop in a clean and pleasant environment that Publix has versus the nastiness of Wal-mart. Plus, the employees seem to want to be there at Publix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area