Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 03:49 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,546,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I think those prices are overly optimistic. You remember that the MegaRail concept that those folks have said that they can build a monorail without taxpayer help, but they need to make a profit. I have no idea what this system would cost, but I would imagine in the hundreds of millions depending on it's length. Jacksonville's monorail cost over $200M, yet they lost money every year due to low ridership.

Don't get me wrong, I would rather have a monorail over a light rail. It is just going to need a lot of planning. We cannot have this "build it and they will come mentality".

But even if ticket prices are higher than what you envisioned, the users of the transit system should still see a savings if they can eliminate one car (in a two car family), our just keep a car for leisure.
How does 50 million (10 miles at 5 million) translate into hundredsof millions? How exactly would they expect their system to sell if they pulled a much higher number out their @ss?

If transit is made appealing, it will work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 06:53 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,824,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
How does 50 million (10 miles at 5 million) translate into hundredsof millions? How exactly would they expect their system to sell if they pulled a much higher number out their @ss?

If transit is made appealing, it will work.
I was just comparing those numbers to the final prices of other monorail projects in Las Vegas, Jacksonville, Newark and Seattle. Those were built years ago. They were also estimated much lower at the beginning.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:53 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,764,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallaboutyou View Post
Let's hear your honest local perspective. Highly doubt you focus travel plans on Greyhound's bus routes or even use the GTA.
I do use Greenlink (formerly GTA), but very infrequently. The reasons: route frequency, hours of operation, and coverage. Greyhound is different beast and doesn't meet my needs even if I wanted to rid it.

The thing I was getting at was understanding why buses are avoided over light rail.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:32 AM

8,245 posts, read 13,368,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
I do use Greenlink (formerly GTA), but very infrequently. The reasons: route frequency, hours of operation, and coverage. Greyhound is different beast and doesn't meet my needs even if I wanted to rid it.

The thing I was getting at was understanding why buses are avoided over light rail.

I am still surprised that Mega Bus has not reached Greenville or Columbia yet.. but its only a matter of time. Its a WAAAAY nicer way to travel than Greyhound and has fewer stops...

www.megabus.com

Old 04-04-2012, 09:36 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,548,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post

I don't understand the bus stigma either. The BRT that has been discussed for this area would pretty much be a functional equivalent to (and much less expensive than) light rail.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:07 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwint View Post
Prepare to be slammed for your comments, unfortunately.

I agree that SC lags behind because of the backward thinking that typically occurs here. Residents are content with having sprawl but aren't willing to pay higher taxes for road maintenance. Those in Columbia are unwilling to raise the gas tax to help with SCDOT's lack of funding to maintain and develop roads in this state. There seems to be a disconnect where people love their cars but don't realize how much the roads they drive on cost.

Personally, I would love to be able to take light rail into work. Unfortunately, my office is 2 miles from downtown, so I would have take a bus from downtown to my office. One of the reasons my company moved outside downtown was because of the cost of parking. However, if some of the parking cost was negated by light rail, maybe downtown would be more appealing to companies?

I use Wade Hampton to get to work. It can be a miserable drive no matter what time I drive to work because the chances of getting stopped at almost every traffic light is very high. Light rail would alleviate some of the stress of dealing with poorly designed roads in this area.
They say *you can't teach an old dog new tricks*! I believe that saying sums up the attitude there. I agree with your points.....mass transit would give residents more transportation options and would create more livable wage jobs which are desperately needed there. But unfortunately many there have the attitude that if its not broke don't fix it.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
They say *you can't teach an old dog new tricks*! I believe that saying sums up the attitude there. I agree with your points.....mass transit would give residents more transportation options and would create more livable wage jobs which are desperately needed there. But unfortunately many there have the attitude that if its not broke don't fix it.
That's exactly it though...it is broken...very broken. Clemson Blvd, Haywood Rd, Laurens Rd, Woodruff Rd, and other roads already have or are quickly becoming traffic problems. You can't widen the roads, and even if the room was available, where is the money? There are areas that could alleviate traffic, but also due to costs of widening and improving roads, even if they did get approval, it would likely be a decade or more before we saw completion.

Public transportation is something we can deal with now and get work going within a year or two. I don't think we can just sit and wait around. Eventually we will have something happen that's been shown with roads once they get over capacity...they completely shut down.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I was just comparing those numbers to the final prices of other monorail projects in Las Vegas, Jacksonville, Newark and Seattle. Those were built years ago. They were also estimated much lower at the beginning.
Ok, but as has been stated, they use cheaper and simpler technology as well as less materials. Just go back to the website and read up on the rail and then view the other projects.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:04 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,138,881 times
Quote:
That's exactly it though...it is broken...very broken. Clemson Blvd, Haywood Rd, Laurens Rd, Woodruff Rd, and other roads already have or are quickly becoming traffic problems. You can't widen the roads, and even if the room was available, where is the money? There are areas that could alleviate traffic, but also due to costs of widening and improving roads, even if they did get approval, it would likely be a decade or more before we saw completion.

Public transportation is something we can deal with now and get work going within a year or two. I don't think we can just sit and wait around. Eventually we will have something happen that's been shown with roads once they get over capacity...they completely shut down.
Again, where is the money for this dream of yours? Would you be willing to put your life savings into the light rail idea? You have no idea what the cost would be to obtain the ROW for this rail and then to purchase land for all the parking lots you will need. If case you have not looked, we as a country, are broke.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:11 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,666,419 times
Quote:
Ok, but as has been stated, they use cheaper and simpler technology as well as less materials. Just go back to the website and read up on the rail and then view the other projects.
That company has never actually built anything, it's all a concept on paper. They've been around since 1997 and still are working on prototypes and concept vehicles.

Not only does their product not exist yet, but they have no proof that it can be profitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area