Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:55 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,556,685 times

Advertisements

Yes, we all know that building new roadway is expensive and inefficent, where as transporting by rail usually can carry 15 or more times the capacity...but is Greenville ready to pay anywhere between 25-35 million or more per mile to supply their light rail thirst?

I do think there is a solution, however. There's this company based out of Texas that builds different kinds of rail (urban, commuter, high speed, etc) on elevated tracks that are about 15% of the cost. That brings it down to maybe 5 million per mile on average, which would make it about the cheapest option I could possibly think of...except maybe for walking 1-20+ miles (though some people could use that )

Just check it out... MegaRail Transportation Systems, Inc.

Oh, and personally, I don't like the idea of the Fountain Inn idea... maybe in the future, but I do not see enough potential ridership there or in surrounding areas to justify even that low cost (moneys still money). These I think would be much better ideas...

-MicroRail from Downtown to Woodruff Rd at Hwy 14 (app 8 1/2 miles)
-MicroRail from Downtown to Wade Hampton Blvd at SC 357 (app 11 miles) then transfer to MegaRail to downtown Spartanburg (app 16 miles)

This alternative is so cheap, it could even be applied to the upstate's smaller chief city, Anderson, along Clemson Blvd/N Main St for 5 miles) This would cost only 25-30 million and ease congestion along the busiest road where the majority of businesses are and possibly more housing than 81.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 10:42 AM

5,526 posts, read 8,384,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Yes, we all know that building new roadway is expensive and inefficent, where as transporting by rail usually can carry 15 or more times the capacity...but is Greenville ready to pay anywhere between 25-35 million or more per mile to supply their light rail thirst?

I do think there is a solution, however. There's this company based out of Texas that builds different kinds of rail (urban, commuter, high speed, etc) on elevated tracks that are about 15% of the cost. That brings it down to maybe 5 million per mile on average, which would make it about the cheapest option I could possibly think of...except maybe for walking 1-20+ miles (though some people could use that )

Just check it out... MegaRail Transportation Systems, Inc.

Oh, and personally, I don't like the idea of the Fountain Inn idea... maybe in the future, but I do not see enough potential ridership there or in surrounding areas to justify even that low cost (moneys still money). These I think would be much better ideas...

-MicroRail from Downtown to Woodruff Rd at Hwy 14 (app 8 1/2 miles)
-MicroRail from Downtown to Wade Hampton Blvd at SC 357 (app 11 miles) then transfer to MegaRail to downtown Spartanburg (app 16 miles)

This alternative is so cheap, it could even be applied to the upstate's smaller chief city, Anderson, along Clemson Blvd/N Main St for 5 miles) This would cost only 25-30 million and ease congestion along the busiest road where the majority of businesses are and possibly more housing than 81.
A majority of the growth is in the Golden Strip Area(Mauldin, Simpsonville, Fountain Inn).

Old 03-30-2012, 10:49 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,867,292 times
It's a looooong walk from Woodruff Road at Highway 14 to the most popular destinations to visit on Woodruff Road (Costco, Whole Foods, Target, Walmart, Greenridge, the movie theater, etc.) Almost 3 miles. Nobody is going to walk that.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
It's a looooong walk from Woodruff Road at Highway 14 to the most popular destinations to visit on Woodruff Road (Costco, Whole Foods, Target, Walmart, Greenridge, the movie theater, etc.) Almost 3 miles. Nobody is going to walk that.
The route would be along Woodruff Rd from SC 14 all the way to Laurens Rd where it would follow for the most part to downtown, with stops where according (usually less than a mile from one another). Also, any 'smart' transit planner would place parking lots for the stations closer to the more rural areas (which would be good for any of the stations going that direction past Pleasantburg Drive) It also is wise to have bus service from at least the majority of the stations that arrives less than 10 minutes after a train comes/goes.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
A majority of the growth is in the Golden Strip Area(Mauldin, Simpsonville, Fountain Inn).
Yes, but they're still spread out from one another. If they were to get something it should be MegaRail with a stop for Fountain Inn, Simpsonville, Mauldin, and then downtown.

If they were to do regular light rail to and through there, not only would it be so outragously expensive that it'd be the perfect irony, with not even politicans able to laugh about it, but it'd be highly inefficent and underused.

The main focus for these areas should be getting the principle cities there to Greenville quickly so they could transfer to a form of transportation which could get them specifically where they need to go.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:57 PM

745 posts, read 2,240,495 times
The problem in the Greenville area, as most small and medium-sized cities in America is that things are too spread out. Cities have grown with the automobile, and so a car is pretty much necessary in most places. Only in cities like New York, with a complete and efficient mass transit system does it truly work. If you're one of a small group of individuals that can live, work, and shop in one area, or on a mass transit route, it works well. You would have to change the mind-set of generations of drivers before people adopted a community based around mass transit. About $10/gallon should do it.....

Old 03-30-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgargoyle View Post
The problem in the Greenville area, as most small and medium-sized cities in America is that things are too spread out. Cities have grown with the automobile, and so a car is pretty much necessary in most places. Only in cities like New York, with a complete and efficient mass transit system does it truly work. If you're one of a small group of individuals that can live, work, and shop in one area, or on a mass transit route, it works well. You would have to change the mind-set of generations of drivers before people adopted a community based around mass transit. About $10/gallon should do it.....
The idea is not to remove everyone from their cars, but make transit appealing to at least a portion of commuters or shoppers. People in the downtown area would either use parking garages already there or already be in the general area to get access. Those who are farther out could park at a parking lot built for the station. This seems counterproductive to some, but quite the contrary, the purpose is to get people out of cars and ride. It's better to drive 7 miles to the closest station and then take however far you go via transit. Most people who live within several miles of the city should have access to buses.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:50 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,147,834 times
The new Greenville bus route is getting ready to start up in the the Simpsonville/Mauldin area. My belief is that is it will be empty most of the time coming and going. If I am wrong and it is a success then we will talk rail.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:37 PM

1,956 posts, read 2,785,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgargoyle View Post
Plus, most people have a love affair with their automobiles. I know I love to drive my Infiniti Coupe. I love the freedom of driving myself anywhere I want to go without having to listen or smell someone else that I don't know and don't want to know. Local mass transit will never work here. We love our cars too much.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:43 PM

5,526 posts, read 8,384,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Yes, but they're still spread out from one another. If they were to get something it should be MegaRail with a stop for Fountain Inn, Simpsonville, Mauldin, and then downtown.

If they were to do regular light rail to and through there, not only would it be so outragously expensive that it'd be the perfect irony, with not even politicans able to laugh about it, but it'd be highly inefficent and underused.

The main focus for these areas should be getting the principle cities there to Greenville quickly so they could transfer to a form of transportation which could get them specifically where they need to go.
Huh? All of their city limits either connect or overlap. How often do you travel down here? I can be on Woodruff rd. in 6 minutes from my garage in Simpsonville. And I'm talking about near Shops at Greenridge. Spread out? For walking yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area