Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:42 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
The main reason a lot of the younger grads move out of the upstate and to those close, but large cities is multifaceted. On one hand, you have the people who have a thirst to get out and visit other areas, then on another you have people who just don't see what there is to stay here for. Sure, some of them don't necessarily have a problem with this area, and some don't want to be far from family...but there is significantly more possibilities for those with higher degrees than there is around here. Unless you live in Greenville and maybe Spartanburg, you're hard pressed to even see some type of corporate level position. Also an even bigger problem is what is there for people to do? I mean really, even Greenville, the largest city, is not really friendly for those without a car, and any of the other areas are even worse. Top that off with limited entertainment and you have your answer for why we're more of a retirement area than anything.
Amen!! That is why I left Greenville and moved back to NYC....not enough corporate jobs working in an office there. The upstate is geared more for people who work with their back/hands (manufacturing, retail, fast food etc.) and retirees.

Until they become serious in Greenville about changing this reality graduates will continue to leave. We'll see what happens in the next 10 years or so....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 11:07 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohtalim View Post
Typically large companies like BMW choose areas like SC because the labor is cheap and less educated. At least that's the way my boss remember when the decision was made.
Bingo!!

Old 04-04-2012, 11:49 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,576,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Amen!! That is why I left Greenville and moved back to NYC....not enough corporate jobs working in an office there. The upstate is geared more for people who work with their back/hands (manufacturing, retail, fast food etc.) and retirees.

Until they become serious in Greenville about changing this reality graduates will continue to leave. We'll see what happens in the next 10 years or so....
I still can't believe that YOU thought Greenville would be a replica of New York City! People don't move to Greenville because they want NYC, they move here because they are seeking the amenities that Greenville has to offer. You fooled yourself in this regard, and you have no one to blame but yourself.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:35 PM

374 posts, read 833,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
This is probably true in the broader sense of the nation (like you say). At the end of the day, it doesn't explain why Greenville has a lower degree-retention rate. After all, highly education Charleston landed the massive Boeing manufacturing plant.
It's true to the Southeast (SC) and others states... No Union, right to work, lower wages and minimal skill set. These companies have bottom lines...and 3 Blocks downtown, Falls Park and the Swamp Rabbit trail weren't included in the numbers.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:49 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohtalim View Post
Typically large companies like BMW choose areas like SC because the labor is cheap and less educated. At least that's the way my boss remember when the decision was made.
This is a big driver in site location. But, other factors for a BMW type investment are having land available, utilities, rail, air, & interstates. BMW was initially looking at Anderson County but, decided on the site next to GSP so they could utilize the airport for cargo. In this case, I think the labor pool was large enough to absorb the plant due to the slow death of the textile industry.

As much as I would like to have a BMW in Charlotte, it is not going to happen due to available land and land costs. Maybe there is a super site somewhere below Rock Vegas that would support another car plant.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:06 PM

12,883 posts, read 18,741,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I absolutely agree. All statistical differences (mentioned above) between the three main metropolitan areas in SC are negligible, unless you live in one of the supposedly "better-performing" peer cities and want to "put Greenville in its place." There is no less opportunity for creative success in Greenville than in Charleston or Columbia, but some people love to cast doubt because they love one or both of the other cities and strongly dislike Greenville. (Read the OP's previous posts.)

In my opinion, this thread was a baited trap from the original post.
Some of Columbia's leaders and concerned citizens have the perception that Columbia needs to do more to retain young professionals as well. Some of them even name Greenville and Charleston as places too many young people in Columbia feel they must move to for good jobs. I think all three cities are competing fine within the state. Sometimes perception can be reflective of some degree of paranoia.

Bolton: Mayor seeks to develop human capital - Editorial Columns - TheState.com (http://www.thestate.com/2012/04/04/2219638/bolton-mayor-seeks-to-develop.html - broken link)

Old 04-04-2012, 10:07 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,544,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post

Yep, and it's a huge problem for our area. I don't understand how we can have so many schools around (Clemson, AU, Furman, Tri-County, Piedmont Tech, Gvl Tech, Erskine, Bob Jones, etc) and not have enough jobs that are 'worthy' of those graduates. Anderson for example, and pretty much every town or city in the county is 95% retail, manufacturing, chain stores, or small business. You wont find any corporate offices, and barely any offices at all. About the only thing you can do is open your own business or leave, and considering the reputation small business have had for our area, most will pick the second.

I know for a fact, every one of the three top cities have room for office type jobs that pay good wages, and to provide decent transit that would also require skilled workers and increase jobs. They should not be asking if they should do it, but when.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
This is a big driver in site location. But, other factors for a BMW type investment are having land available, utilities, rail, air, & interstates. BMW was initially looking at Anderson County but, decided on the site next to GSP so they could utilize the airport for cargo. In this case, I think the labor pool was large enough to absorb the plant due to the slow death of the textile industry.

As much as I would like to have a BMW in Charlotte, it is not going to happen due to available land and land costs. Maybe there is a super site somewhere below Rock Vegas that would support another car plant.
Greer, Spartanburg, and Greenville should be very happy to have it around. I know Anderson lost out big on getting it. We have land near the airport and/or near the interstate that could have been used, but I have little doubt that their reason for locating their was lack of cooperation by those in charge here.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
I still can't believe that YOU thought Greenville would be a replica of New York City! People don't move to Greenville because they want NYC, they move here because they are seeking the amenities that Greenville has to offer. You fooled yourself in this regard, and you have no one to blame but yourself.
I think you missed the point of what was being said. It's not that anyone expects Greenville to be anything close to NYC, but that the area needs more jobs suited to young people/graduates. It's true Greenville is more appealing than a lot of the surrounding areas (which of course wouldn't say much, and just makes the over all situation worse), but it could use some better transportation and more opportunities for people with degrees.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:17 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,576,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I think you missed the point of what was being said. It's not that anyone expects Greenville to be anything close to NYC, but that the area needs more jobs suited to young people/graduates. It's true Greenville is more appealing than a lot of the surrounding areas (which of course wouldn't say much, and just makes the over all situation worse), but it could use some better transportation and more opportunities for people with degrees.
Go back and read some of NYBorn's comments over the past year and you will understand my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area