Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 06:44 AM

506 posts, read 1,223,423 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, hoping someone can help me out here. I'm looking for somewhere to take my wife that has a more strict dress code (Suit, cocktail dress, etc), or at least where a significant portion of people will be dressed in such a way. My plan is to take her out a week in advance to go buy a really nice dress and shoes, and then the following weekend to actually wear the nice dress and shoes. However, I've been searching for somewhere to go in these clothes and can't find a place in Greenville where we wouldn't at least look out of place dressed up like that.

Does anyone know of any place in the area where we would 'fit in' wearing these types of clothes (not a dining place I'm sure we could go to High Cotton or Rick Erwins or something and be fine, but I want to take her somewhere to actually "do" something before or after).

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 07:34 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,388,671 times
Here areare a few options to consider:
- Greenville Symphony Orchestra (or another formal event at the Peace Center)

- Poinsett Club

- Thornblade Club

- Commerce Club

- Westin Poinsett Hotel (ballroom events)

- Victoria Valley Vineyards

Old 04-02-2012, 08:29 AM

Thanks Skyliner! Going to take a look at these options and see which my wife might be most interested in.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:38 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,388,671 times
You're welcome. Another option to consider is any event in the concert, drama, & opera series at BJU.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:32 PM

183 posts, read 303,513 times
Brown street club

Old 04-02-2012, 07:04 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,552,504 times
Except for Brown Street, aren't these "Clubs" private - for members only (except for fundraisers, etc)?

Old 04-03-2012, 05:47 AM

It looks like some of them are. Unfortunately after spending some time investigating I didn't see much available to do coming up at any of the clubs that we would have access to. I've been to Brown Street Club once and don't remember seeing anyone really dressed up there, does that happen occasionally?

Old 04-03-2012, 08:47 AM

298 posts, read 687,598 times
It's unfortunate, but a fact of where we are at today with societal norms. People just don't get dressed up that much anymore, even at the private clubs mentioned above.

It used to be that clubs strictly enforced dress codes. Today, not so much.

They even allow jeans and shorts in the dining rooms ... sigh. The lounge ... OK ... but the dining rooms?

Call me old fashioned but ....

Old 04-03-2012, 09:41 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,535,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree930 View Post
It's unfortunate, but a fact of where we are at today with societal norms. People just don't get dressed up that much anymore, even at the private clubs mentioned above.

It used to be that clubs strictly enforced dress codes. Today, not so much.

They even allow jeans and shorts in the dining rooms ... sigh. The lounge ... OK ... but the dining rooms?

Call me old fashioned but ....
I agree 100%. I still think twice about wearing jeans to a casual restaurant (e.g. California Dreamin', etc.) even when everyone around me is dressed that way. I would never do it, but I've even seen jeans and tee shirts at Chophouse 47!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area