Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 03:56 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,653,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree930 View Post
Disclaimer .... what follows is personal opinion:

I am not a big fan of Nose Dive. If you look closely you can tell it is just filling space for Sobinski until the economy becomes stronger and he can drop something higher end into that space. Food to me was so-so and the ambiance .... fuggedaboutit. The use of the word Dive in the name is appropriate.

If you have not been to the Trappe Door, you may want to consider that on your crawl. Better pub ambiance than the dive and better food.

Corner Pocket? Maybe if you are into hanging with the college crowd. Def not my style.
Where is the Trappe Door located? I'm not sure I liked Corner Pocket though half of our group for the night still is in college. Mostly I had it as an option because it is so close to Reys which we like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 04:23 PM

298 posts, read 688,110 times
It is beneath Barley's Taproom.

http://trappedoor.com/

Old 04-07-2012, 07:24 AM

143 posts, read 207,194 times
If you are steak eaters, I highly recommend Saskatoon Restaurant on Haywood Road. Their menu is on line if you want to see it.

I've hosted several groups there and the food has always been consistently terrific. If you want something adventurous, you can try a wild game; otherwise, they have several traditional beef cuts (as well as fish and poultry). My favorite is their Ribeye.

The ambiance in the restaurant itself is very cozy and the rooms are broken into smaller sections so it feels private. Dress can be very casual, or dressy-

You can make reservations (which may be important for your timetable) and they will ask you if there is a special occasion, both when you make a reservation and when you arrive.

The servers make it a point to know your names, and they will make you feel welcome.

I hope you have a terrific night!

Old 04-07-2012, 09:57 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,653,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertmm View Post
If you are steak eaters, I highly recommend Saskatoon Restaurant on Haywood Road. Their menu is on line if you want to see it.

I've hosted several groups there and the food has always been consistently terrific. If you want something adventurous, you can try a wild game; otherwise, they have several traditional beef cuts (as well as fish and poultry). My favorite is their Ribeye.

The ambiance in the restaurant itself is very cozy and the rooms are broken into smaller sections so it feels private. Dress can be very casual, or dressy-

You can make reservations (which may be important for your timetable) and they will ask you if there is a special occasion, both when you make a reservation and when you arrive.

The servers make it a point to know your names, and they will make you feel welcome.

I hope you have a terrific night!
Someone was telling me about this place. I think I might consider this one because I'm looking for something different. The Buffalo Flank Steak sounds really good. Are the sides standard because it looks that way from the menu.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:57 AM

55 posts, read 141,133 times
Davani's Restaurant on Augusta Road is always good.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:15 AM

143 posts, read 207,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
Someone was telling me about this place. I think I might consider this one because I'm looking for something different. The Buffalo Flank Steak sounds really good. Are the sides standard because it looks that way from the menu.
The presentation of the meal is very nice. Sometimes when meals are pretty the sides seem too small with a lot of white space, but the Saskatoon does a great job of giving you just enough. The garlic mashed potatoes are done very nicely and the vegetable sides are different than just broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots. They are very accommodating if you want something special.

Save room for the dessert, because they are delicious.... definitely big enough to share.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:52 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,803,279 times
Quote:

I am not a big fan of Nose Dive. If you look closely you can tell it is just filling space for Sobinski until the economy becomes stronger and he can drop something higher end into that space. Food to me was so-so and the ambiance .... fuggedaboutit. The use of the word Dive in the name is appropriate.

If you have not been to the Trappe Door, you may want to consider that on your crawl. Better pub ambiance than the dive and better food.

Corner Pocket? Maybe if you are into hanging with the college crowd. Def not my style.
I second this ^^^. The Nose Dive has been a big disappointment both times I've gone.

The Trappe Door is great!

I'd also add that the BoneFish Grill is nothing to write home about, especially if you appreciate good seafood. If you appreciate extremely salty sauces smothered over average fish, then go for it.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:05 AM

5,596 posts, read 15,398,420 times
Downtown pub/bar/café/restaurant recommendations (in no particular order):
  • Liberty Tap Room
  • Breakwater
  • On The Roxx
  • The Velo Fellow
  • Smoke On The Water
  • Rick Erwin's West End Grille
  • Chicora Alley
  • Ford's Oyster House & Cajun Kitchen
  • Smiley's Acoustic Café
  • Maverick Bar & Grill
  • Larkin's On The River
  • Nantucket Seafood (separate upscale bar)
  • Soby's
  • Connolly's Irish Pub
  • Devereaux's
  • Trattoria Giorgio
  • The Piano Bar (Westin Poinsett)
  • The Cazbah
  • The Art Bar on Main
  • Barley's Taproom
  • The Trappe Door
  • Rey's Market
  • Addy's Dutch Café
  • Coffee Underground
  • Ristorante Bergamo
  • Sassafras Southern Bistro
  • The Green Room
  • Blue Ridge Brewing Company
  • Brown Street Club
  • Blu Martini
  • Sushi Koji
  • DT's Tavern
  • The Bohemian
  • Park Avenue Pub

Old 04-11-2012, 04:46 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,848,486 times
Quote:

I am exactly the opposite, love the place, whether it is just filling the slot right now or not, its a great idea, high end bar food at decent prices and good beer. I really like the Trappe Door but tend to spend twice the amount I do when I go to Nose Dive. I do wish Nose Dive's decor had changed a bit from the last restaurant, everything is the same as Restaurant O.

The Art bar is good for a place where you can actually conversate. Not much food though.
Chicora Alley is usually hoppin, the food is pretty good there too.
The Velo Fellow is my new favorite restaurant, European food, good beers, very relaxed atmosphere and good music.
Smileys is good for late night live jam music.
If your looking for high end, in order from my favorite to still great but not as good: Sassafras, Brown Street, The Green Room, Deveraux.
Also I really like Carolina Ale House for bar food and sports, but I always get TERRIBLE service when I go there. The servers no absolutely nothing about beer, and almost always bring me the wrong thing. The food keeps me coming back though.
Also, just for reference, in addition to the bars mentioned above the bars I like in downtown are Reys, City Tavern, Barleys, and late night usually The Cazbah.

Last edited by NoodlesKnowles; 04-11-2012 at 05:05 AM..

Old 04-11-2012, 08:02 AM

17 posts, read 26,264 times
Saskatoon? If you are expecting to cap your spending to $80-$85 with drinks, forggetaboutit! They are one of the more expensive route for a dinner. No doubt they are good, but you're looking to spend a lot of $$ for that place.

To answer your earlier question, yes. Cornerpocket is pretty crazy on the weekends. Once it gets warmer outside, you might enjoy Liberty Taproom and enjoy drinks outside with your friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area