Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 11:51 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,649,256 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or wanted to plug a restaurant for me to take my girlfriend to for her birthday in the next couple of weeks. I'm looking for something either near Woodruff Road or in the downtown area. I'm capping the price for this dinner around $80-$85 which I hope would include a couple drinks for both of us (be it beer or wine). We are going downtown later in the evening with friends so suggestions for bars and bar hopping would be appreciated as well. One of our favorite places right now is Reys but we also enjoyed our recent trip to Dixie's Tavern and O'Connelly's too. Any suggestions about where to avoid on Friday evenings or a path to bar hop would be good. We like Carolina Ale House too but I'm looking for a more local or bar type place that doesn't serve much food.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 12:17 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
On Woodruff, I highly recommend Travinia. It's Italian, but upscale (as opposed to serving primarily pizza and pasta). They describe themselves as "contemporary, casual Italian."

Old 04-05-2012, 04:09 PM

17 posts, read 26,219 times
Bonefish Grill is right off Woodruff has a great seafood and they have a pretty nice looking bar as well.

Barley's Taproom upstairs would be a good place to hang out downtown. They have great selection of beer there with pool tables, darts, and shuffleboard. If you want a little more of a party atmosphere, go to Corner pocket instead. It gets a little more rowdier there.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:37 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TmanIsHere View Post
Bonefish Grill is right off Woodruff has a great seafood and they have a pretty nice looking bar as well.

Barley's Taproom upstairs would be a good place to hang out downtown. They have great selection of beer there with pool tables, darts, and shuffleboard. If you want a little more of a party atmosphere, go to Corner pocket instead. It gets a little more rowdier there.
I'd add Nose Dive, The Lazy Goat and maybe Larkin's downtown as well.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
On Woodruff, I highly recommend Travinia. It's Italian, but upscale (as opposed to serving primarily pizza and pasta). They describe themselves as "contemporary, casual Italian."
Thanks! Definitely sounds good. Do you have to make reservations? Just wondering if I should but then I'm thinking about traffic on a Friday on Woodruff Road and the possibility of not even making it on time. This place would be good because we could eat, come back to our place and pregame with friends and then be driven downtown.

Any dishes you would recommend?

Old 04-05-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmanIsHere View Post

I might check out Barley's, haven't been there yet. I went to Corner pocket on St. Pats day and it was pretty crazy. Is it always like that or is that because of the holiday?

Old 04-05-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
I'd add Nose Dive, The Lazy Goat and maybe Larkin's downtown as well.
Would you say Nose Dive for drinks or food? We went to The Lazy Goat for our anniversary and it is quite good! And it was pretty cheap for the quality of food that we got. I might try Larkin's for another special meal. Maybe for after when we go to The Lion King at the Peace Center in the summer.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:24 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
Would you say Nose Dive for drinks or food? We went to The Lazy Goat for our anniversary and it is quite good! And it was pretty cheap for the quality of food that we got. I might try Larkin's for another special meal. Maybe for after when we go to The Lion King at the Peace Center in the summer.
Nose Dive - Both, from my experiences. The food is "pub grub", but kicked up a notch. The drinks - I've never had a below-par drink in any of Soby's establishments!

Old 04-05-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Nose Dive - Both, from my experiences. The food is "pub grub", but kicked up a notch. The drinks - I've never had a below-par drink in any of Soby's establishments!
Thanks! I think I'll add it to our list of places to stop on the bar crawl. I'm glad that Greenville has so many options in terms of variety and quality of bars. It sure beats the selection I've had Clemson the last few years (not that there is anything wrong with those). Looks like a lot of choices of beverages.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:53 AM

298 posts, read 686,703 times
Disclaimer .... what follows is personal opinion:

I am not a big fan of Nose Dive. If you look closely you can tell it is just filling space for Sobinski until the economy becomes stronger and he can drop something higher end into that space. Food to me was so-so and the ambiance .... fuggedaboutit. The use of the word Dive in the name is appropriate.

If you have not been to the Trappe Door, you may want to consider that on your crawl. Better pub ambiance than the dive and better food.

Corner Pocket? Maybe if you are into hanging with the college crowd. Def not my style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area