Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2012, 07:44 AM

592 posts, read 2,138,441 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about some of the lakes located in the upstate region.

Is it possible to own lake front property on them? Can you have your own private dock? Are some more commercialized than others?

Any boat length, weight, or HP limits?

I'm very familiar with Lake of the Ozarks in MO, and wondering if any of them are comparable.

We are looking at possibly relocating to the Upstate region after I complete residency, but really don't know a ton about the area outside of some research I did while looking at a program in Spartanburg.

Thanks for any help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 10:55 AM

803 posts, read 1,466,437 times
Yes, you can own lakefront property on the bigger Upstate lakes, including Hartwell and Keowee. I would say that Keowee is probably most similar to Lake of the Ozarks in the way of surrounding terrain, etc. Lake Hartwell is less expensive (mountain views aren't as good), however it is closer to I-85 and Greenville.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:09 PM

807 posts, read 1,787,842 times
You could always try Lake Bowen and Lake Rabon. They have boat length restrictions & hp restrictions. I think Rabon is 10 hp, but would have to check to be sure. Keowee or Hartwell would be my choices as well but it just depends on what you want to do & how much you want to spend. There is Lake Robinson as well.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:38 PM

I would be most interested in a place that doesn't have restrictions. I appreciate the help.

Would prefer to see if I could swing an acre or two with waterfront and a private dock.

Max would be in the 500k range.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:44 PM

You should be able to find something on Hartwell or Keowee. You would probably be restricted as far as allowing mobile homes.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:48 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,141,995 times
I agreee with Pat. You need to be looking at Hartwell or Keowee but there are mobile home all over Hartwell.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:25 AM

696 posts, read 1,337,792 times
There's plenty of property available on Lake Greenwood, too.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:35 AM

374 posts, read 835,874 times
What area of the Upstate would you be working and what type of boating?

I'm familiar with LOTO, and Hartwell would be the closest match.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:38 PM

I'd be looking to work somewhere rural or semi-rural that would allow us to live either on or near the lake. Preferably on the lake, within 20 minutes to work.

Ideally, we could find a place that works for us. That would preferably include a small to mid-size town nearby. My wife is quite interested in private schools, specifically Catholic.

I just wondered if either of those lakes might compare to LOTO. I love that lake. Not for the R-rated parts, but the opportunities to dine and have evening entertainment at lakefront eateries and night spots.

I will be a Family Practice physician looking for an outpatient practice opportunity, preferably with a physician owned group...or maybe as faculty at a residency program. I know there is one in Seneca.

Just now starting our search for where we would like to settle down.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:24 AM

Default Lakes

You might want to check out sciway.net/city/lake-keowee.html. It will give you a lot of info on the lake. I am not sure about the waterfront dining. I know that the Tiki Hut is there but I don't think that is exactly what you are referring to as dining. This site will have a map and info about the lake, schools etc. There is the Oconee County Convention & Visitors Bureau as well. You could also check with the Clemson or Oconee Chamber of Commerce. Seneca is a smaller town with some shopping, Anderson is not far away and will offer a lot more in the form of dining & shopping. Seneca is the largest city in Oconee County & Clemson is the largest city in Pickens County. Lake Hartwell would be in Anderson County where Anderson is the largest nearby city. There is a similar site for Lake Hartwell as well, just change the name to lakehartwell.

I hope you find what you are looking for. I would highly suggest coming for a visit if you have the opportunity before deciding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area