Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 03:38 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,296,651 times

Advertisements

Before you buy a slab look where the sinks. w/d and bathtub are located. First, it should be in the same area. That is the total floor area you may have to tear out to find the problem. AT the least do be sure you have a save area in which to move the w/d. Tree roots cause more problems than frozen pipes. The crawl space has its advantages because water lines and vents can be insulated. It saves money.

If you buy a crawl space go into it. It should be dry and not damp because dampness indicates the present of water which can lead to mold - a health issue you do not want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 06:45 PM

24 posts, read 42,746 times
Walkout full basement is the best, and if you search hard you can find them for the same price as a slab. Just make sure you don't pick a leaky basement

Trudge through a crawl space one time all the way around the house and you will truly appreciate your basement.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:31 PM

54 posts, read 219,296 times
We are on our first crawl (walkout basement then slab before that) and I hate it most of the three....it has cost us a ton to get the moisture out of the wood---we ended up sealing the walls/floor with a 12mil vapor barrier, closing/sealing our vents, installing insulation on the walls and installing a dehumidifier. I now have nasty musty smells throughout my entire house that are coming from the earth below that sealed crawlspace (makes no sense but with all the research i've done, it is the most viable culprit) and am going to have to have all my a/c ducts sealed so the smell stops creeping into my house.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:00 AM

116 posts, read 273,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico77 View Post
We are on our first crawl (walkout basement then slab before that) and I hate it most of the three....it has cost us a ton to get the moisture out of the wood---we ended up sealing the walls/floor with a 12mil vapor barrier, closing/sealing our vents, installing insulation on the walls and installing a dehumidifier. I now have nasty musty smells throughout my entire house that are coming from the earth below that sealed crawlspace (makes no sense but with all the research i've done, it is the most viable culprit) and am going to have to have all my a/c ducts sealed so the smell stops creeping into my house.
This is what I am most concerned about. Hopefully a good home inspector will identify existing problems, but I would like to know about any issues before I even made an offer on a place, I don't want to waste time on a place with problems of moist crawl space, however I don't want to miss a good property either. That is why I was leaning toward slab or dry basement, even though I know they are rare. Anyone know of anyone having problems with plumbing in slab. It would seem that freezing pipes would be a rare occurrence in a heated house unless pipes were somehow exposed.

Regarding slabs, just curious how local builders deal with drainage away from slab edge and foundation.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:20 AM

24 posts, read 42,746 times
Make sure you get to see a sample report from the building inspector before working with him. Quality and depth of reports varies significantly between different inspectors.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:09 AM

116 posts, read 273,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstic View Post
Make sure you get to see a sample report from the building inspector before working with him. Quality and depth of reports varies significantly between different inspectors.
Thanks, good advice.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:42 PM

592 posts, read 2,137,306 times
I've lived in houses with slabs, basements, and one with a crawl space.

I will never, ever, ever own a home with a crawl space if I can help it. More trouble than it's worth, and not having earth contact made heating and cooling a ridiculous endeavor.

Go for the basement, you won't regret it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area